Fat's gone, time to change course ...

Options
SergeantSausage
SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
Alright folks, the fat's finally gone, now what?

Who's got a recommended/favorite beginner's guide to weightlifting for size for small guys?

New goal is 12 to 15 pound gain of lean muscle, no added fat, with a body fat% near 8% to 9%-ish by New Year's. I lost 50+ pounds of fat, I should be able to replace a quarter of that with muscle, shouldn't I?

Is it*comfortably* do-able for a 6'0" 155 pound newly skinny, formerly small-fat guy in that time frame - the next 11 months?

Looking for your favorite/recommended plan/program/resource/information.

I've never really done the weight thing and need suggestion here.

BEFORE:

7teuq9mjn7lc.jpg

AFTER (to be determined and posted 31 Dec 2015)

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    One thing you need to keep in mind is your age. You can add muscle. I know plenty of guys in their 40's that do amazing work. But you will have less free testosterone compared to a guy in his 20's and considerably less than a teenager.

It's worse than that. The twins were busted up 3-ish years ago. I'm firing the T on one nard, the left one. I had to give up righty and, sadly, he lives on only as some image files of slides on a hard drive in some pathology lab in the Midwest. He was sliced, diced, examined, photographed ... and tossed into the red "medical waste" bucket.

Never thought of it as a disadvantage, but sounds like it may be here, huh?

Challenge Accepted!

one.jpg

• amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    From what I've read the remaining "twin" compensates for his lost brother!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss. You look like you're at a great bf% to start bulking.

If you can get over the idea of trying to gain those 12-15 without any fat gain, then I'm sure you'll nail it, one 'nad or no. =D

Edit: oh, and Stronglifts 5x5 or ICF 5x5 are great beginner programmes, I usually recommend starting strength but those two have a bit more volume.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    eat all the things.
    lift all the things
    rest all the things.

lather.
    rinse
    repeat.

and welcome to the suck of not having enough testosterone to make muscle well. #sometimesbeingawomanreallydoessuckd!ck.
  • JM1481
    JM1481 Posts: 88 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Not helpful for you new goals but congrats, you look GREAT! Hard to believe you haven't done any lifting, you have some good definition already!
  • SergeantSausage
    edited February 2015
    Options
    JM1481 wrote: »
    Not helpful for you new goals but congrats, you look GREAT! Hard to believe you haven't done any lifting, you have some good definition already!

As athletic hobbies to get/keep in shape - I'm a runner first (70-ish miles per week during marathon season, 40-ish miles per week off season ) been running since 2009, and a climber second - this is our (wife and I) 4th year. Run every day. 2 days a week in the climbing gym throwing body weight around on plastic holds for hours and hours on end, and most weekends April thru Nov spent as 2 days out on actual rock doing same 12 hours a day.

Running created most of my calorie deficit and lost all of my excess poundage.

Climbing created most of my meager muscle mass and all of my strength.

Started P90X with the wife just before the New Year a few weeks back, but that can't have contributed much in this short amount of time. I don't see much change yet from that in strength or appearance ... but I'm hopeful.
  • JM1481
    JM1481 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

As athletic hobbies to get/keep in shape - I'm a runner first (70-ish miles per week during marathon season, 40-ish miles per week off season ) been running since 2009, and a climber second - this is our (wife and I) 4th year. Run every day. 2 days a week in the climbing gym throwing body weight around on plastic holds for hours and hours on end, and most weekends April thru Nov spent as 2 days out on actual rock doing same 12 hours a day.

Started P90X with the wife just before the New Year a few weeks back, but that can't have contributed much in this short amount of time. I don't see much change yet from that in strength or appearance ... but I'm hopeful.

Oh well, that makes sense then! I'm guessing with all that activity it's hard to get enough cals!
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I got my start with P90x...

Profile-Front-Hips-final4.jpg

But...if mass gain is your goal...and you want to do it from home, then may want to consider Body Beast...great beginner weight training program and I transitioned well from P90x to and completed for 3 rounds. Now I have moved to a more traditional body building regimen...progression is key. Don't be a hero if you are just starting out with weights...your tendons and ligaments will not develop as fast as the new muscle you are building and it can be easy to get hurt.

Diet is everything in your goals...and having just lost all that weight you may find it hard to flip the mental switch to start eating more calories...which is what you are going to have to do to put on the muscle that you want to put on. You will soon find it frustrating that you cannot change as fast as you want headed in the other direction....welcome to my world. ;)

• SergeantSausage
    Options

Oh well, that makes sense then! I'm guessing with all that activity it's hard to get enough cals!

Not really.

I ended up 50+ pounds overweight so finding enough calories wasn't exactly a problem.

Zoom in on that - I think I was second trimester preggers there ...

1937003_101128716574371_4440878_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9&oh=a7d70f67450b4a7a859e58bf644c7c5b&oe=5565328A
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's worse than that. The twins were busted up 3-ish years ago. I'm firing the T on one nard, the left one. I had to give up righty and, sadly, he lives on only as some image files of slides on a hard drive in some pathology lab in the Midwest. He was sliced, diced, examined, photographed ... and tossed into the red "medical waste" bucket.

Challenge Accepted!
    rofl. This was not the thread I was expecting.
  • SergeantSausage
    Options
    drepublic wrote: »

I got my start with P90x...

Profile-Front-Hips-final4.jpg

But...if mass gain is your goal...and you want to do it from home, then may want to consider Body Beast...great beginner weight training program and I transitioned well from P90x to and completed for 3 rounds. Now I have moved to a more traditional body building regimen...progression is key. Don't be a hero if you are just starting out with weights...your tendons and ligaments will not develop as fast as the new muscle you are building and it can be easy to get hurt.

Diet is everything in your goals...and having just lost all that weight you may find it hard to flip the mental switch to start eating more calories...which is what you are going to have to do to put on the muscle that you want to put on. You will soon find it frustrating that you cannot change as fast as you want headed in the other direction....welcome to my world. ;)

Hehe - LOL. Somehow I don't think that's gonna be a problem for me. I've been ready for more calories for quite a while now.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    One thing you need to keep in mind is your age. You can add muscle. I know plenty of guys in their 40's that do amazing work. But you will have less free testosterone compared to a guy in his 20's and considerably less than a teenager.

Challenge Accepted!

one.jpg

I made the mistake of taking a swig of tea while drinking this...

You've already gotten good advice, but congrats on your progress so far.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    We are the same age and you can gain that much muscle if you stick to a quality program, rest, and eat. You will gain fat, but it won't be much if you keep your diet in check. Congrats on keeping a ball, I lost a rectum a couple years back ;)