Asparagus Season!!

Options
tinascar2015
tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
Yayy! It's affordable now! I can't get enough asparagus this time of year. I love it just steamed and will eat it hot or cold, with a meal or on its own. I scramble it into a veggie frittata, but I'd like to know if any of you have a favorite asparagus recipe. There are three pounds of it in my fridge right now. Maybe I'll even get my husband to eat some?

Replies

• psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I use the tips for pureed asparagus cream soup. Tons of recipes online, that way you don't have to waste them and it's soooo good! (and my husband will eat it, usually doesn't care for a lot of vegetables)
  • shavon007
    shavon007 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I love it with a little butter and lemon juice
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Parcooked (steam), then chilled, dipped in peanut sauce.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I love it roasted with just a little salt...sometimes also some olive oil if my fats are low for the day. I buy a lot and freeze it too so the asparagus joy can last longer. I bought 4 lbs of it the other day. I will probably buy more LOL Yum!

It's really good with some slivered garlic and almonds with drizzle of olive oil, sprinkle of salt and roast just until tender.

Wrap a few stalks (depending on thickness - I like them thinner) in some prosciutto or very thin ham/bacon and roast. That's good with a dijon mustard thinned down with veggie or chicken stock and lightly drizzled over it.

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Wrap em in bacon and bake in the oven mmmmm
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    Thanks, these are great. First order of business is asparagus soup!
  • gilramirez14
    gilramirez14 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    That aspagus soup sounds so good
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I love it with a little balsamic vinegar on top! I just finished up a 2.5 pound bag last night.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Drizzle with a little olive oil, sprinkle on black pepper (or red pepper flakes for an extra kick) and a bit of grated parmesan, and roast until tender. Soooo good!
  • franola12
    franola12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Welcome asparagus season! I put lemon grass in the steamer.
  • moosisgal
    moosisgal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Drizzle a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic salt. Oven bake at 350 for 12 minutes. YUMMY!! I also have left the olive oil out and sprayed baking sheet with Pam. Cuts the calories.
  • LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    LOVE asparagus season!! Once everything starts growing here in the midwest we will go asparagus hunting in the ditches. It grows wild here and we usually have so much that we end up making pickled asparagus as well.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus! Roasted, steamed, raw....
  • balvis3919
    balvis3919 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i steam or saute my own asparagus but to get my kids and husband to eat it i melt equal parts butter and brown sugar (1 1/4 pound asparagus will use about a 1/2 cup of each butter and brown sugar) and let it cook without a lid for about 15 minutes or so. the whole thing is gone in 5 minutes cause they love it so much.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Great ideas on here, I usually just roast or grill it.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Bacon wrapped and cooked on the grill
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    I'm not really crazy about bacon and asparagus though. Bacon is so overpowering, it kind of defeats the purpose of the mild flavor of the asparagus. IMO, anyway. I've never been a big bacon eater, so I didn't really have to give it up for this diet. Plus, it really stimulates my appetite. Last thing I need these days.
  • MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Roasted, and then with a touch of sea salt and sesame oil.
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    MamaJ1974 wrote: »

Ahhh, lovely and elegant! I'll do that.
  • katrinapri
    katrinapri Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    MamaJ1974 wrote: »

Definitely my favorite way to enjoy asparagus! Simply delicious. I also enjoy a little garlic on mines. But that's just because I'm a garlic lover lol.