Hi !! I am a new diabetic user...

Options
I have been losing weight since the Dr. put me on Invokana. 32 pounds in 4 months. However, my A1C tested at 8...Any advice out there....Love this program...

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 2 now in full remission (last test was 4.5).
    a1c-levels1.jpg

Tip one: customize your meals so that your snacks are split up in to AM Snack Aft Snack and EVE snack.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Have you signed up for any diabetic eating classes? This was the best tip I ever got:
    Tools_PlateMethod_4Web.png

I visualized every meal to be a balancing act, with all food groups represented. Even my snacks are at least two food groups, and always contain a protein.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm prediabetic. Doc told me no more than 45 carbs in the day's biggest meal, no more than 30 in the others, and pair any carb with a protein. No carbs eaten alone. Try that and see if it helps. It's made a big difference to me following those guidelines.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! YOu can also join the Type 2 Diabetes Group here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

I'll be having a definitive diabetes test next week. I flunked a fasting glucose test by a few points two weeks ago. I had already been on MFP for two months, so making big changes to my diet didn't come as a big shock. I was already eating what is basically a diabetic diet. I am hoping to be able to control my sugar with diet alone, but if Invokana could speed weight loss, I wouldn't complain. We will see what the doctor recommends.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    @gothchiq, Everyone is obviously different, but I don't agree with your physician's approach to carb counting. Carbs are *definitely* not all created equally, and many Type2 Diabetics do not need to be low carb. My best advice is to keep an accurate food log and test blood sugar before meals and 2 hours after. This can help find your trigger carbs. White flour is the biggest issue for me, so I've all but eliminated it from my diet. I eat whole grain pasta regularly, potatoes and sweet potatoes every week, fruit daily. For me, sugars/carbs in their natural state do not cause blood sugar spikes. Refined carbs: white rice, white flour, white sugar are enemies to me.

I do agree to try to avoid carbs by themselves. Always try to pair carbs with protein and fat.

Good luck!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Each person probably does best to listen to his/her doc to tailor the program to their specific needs. what I'm doing is working for my problem. My blood sugar readings are usually 82 these days which is pretty good! White flour is on the "seldom eat" list for me, like anything sugary. Foods that are whole, including potatoes, are not written off... just watched. I use my glucometer 1 and 2 hrs after meals to see what's going on.