"muscle vs. Fat"

Options
GlindaGoodwitch
GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Yes. Muscle weighs more than fat. I lost 10 pounds (yay!) then started exercising - no change in diet - and am now starting to see weight GAIN. I know muscle weighs more, but at what point will I start to see weight LOSS again, while remaining active. I'm running 3-5 times per week, doing interval training.

* Edit: Thank you for the clarification (a pound is a pound etc). :)

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes, but muscle is also pretty slow to build. What you're seeing might be a little bit of muscle gain, but also a good deal of water retention that comes with increased exercise. Either way, I would reassess your routine if you don't start seeing the results you want after 3-4 weeks of consistency.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    No. Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat. Muscle is, however, more dense than fat and takes up less space.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Yes, but muscle is also pretty slow to build. What you're seeing might be a little bit of muscle gain, but also a good deal of water retention that comes with increased exercise. Either way, I would reassess your routine if you don't start seeing the results you want after 3-4 weeks of consistency.

^^ This

If you haven't changed your diet (ie - you're still eating in a deficit) it's absolutely assuredly not muscle gain, especially with very little meaningful weight lifting.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No, it doesn't, its just SMALLER in size so there will be less of you. Any gain is water retention from increased exercise.

The water retention will go in a few days but you have to be prepared for fluctuations in weight all the time, everyone is different but for most its +/-3 to 5 lbs.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    No. Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat. Muscle is, however, more dense than fat and takes up less space.

No. Muscle does not take up less space than fat. 1 cubic inch of muscle takes up the same amount of space as 1 cubic inch of fat. Muscle is, however, more dense than fat and weighs more.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

No. Muscle does not take up less space than fat. 1 cubic inch of muscle takes up the same amount of space as 1 cubic inch of fat. Muscle is, however, more dense than fat and weighs more.

TOUCHE!

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yes. Muscle weighs more than fat. I lost 10 pounds (yay!) then started exercising - no change in diet - and am now starting to see weight GAIN. I know muscle weighs more, but at what point will I start to see weight LOSS again, while remaining active. I'm running 3-5 times per week, doing interval training.

Dianne nailed it. It's mostly water weight and should subside in a few weeks.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Muscle does NOT weigh more than FAT.

Muscle is denser and takes up less space. One pound of feathers weighs the same as 1 pound of flour....
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Muscle does NOT weigh more than FAT.

Muscle is denser and takes up less space. One pound of feathers weighs the same as 1 pound of flour....

Muscle does NOT take up less space than FAT.

Muscle is denser and weighs more. One cubic inch of feathers takes up the same amount of space as 1 cubic inch of flour....

• GlindaGoodwitch
    GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Good point - that is such a ridiculous statement. A pound is a pound.

And thank you for the water retention explanation - that does make more sense! I've been extremely diligent on what goes into my body, so the added exercise is only a positive for sure, but I'm excited to see the results!

Thanks guys and gals!
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Ugh.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat. a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle :)
  • Sapphire_Elf
    Sapphire_Elf Posts: 76 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sigh. No it DOESN'T! I think this is my absolute pet hate when people talk about muscle weighing more than fat, or from my female colleagues, that if they ve gained 10lbs in a month that it "must be muscle". Grrrrrrrrrrrr. >:)

Unless you live in an alternate reality, 1lb of anything will weigh EXACTLY the same as 1lb of something else - ie 1lb of muscle weighs exactly the same as 1lb of fat as 1lb of feathers as 1lb of coal - the hint is in the fact that they are all 1lb! The volume of those things may be different but it will still be 1lb in weight.

You also directly contradict yourself in your post.... I don't understand how you can insist that 1 cubic inch of muscle and 1 cubic inch of fat are the same, and yet say that 1lb of muscle and 1lb of fat do not weigh the same!

We have muscle and fat as "blocks" for teaching aids and i can assure you that the muscle takes up a lot less space than the fat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Sigh. No it DOESN'T! I think this is my absolute pet hate when people talk about muscle weighing more than fat, or from my female colleagues, that if they ve gained 10lbs in a month that it "must be muscle". Grrrrrrrrrrrr. >:)

Unless you live in an alternate reality, 1lb of anything will weigh EXACTLY the same as 1lb of something else - ie 1lb of muscle weighs exactly the same as 1lb of fat as 1lb of feathers as 1lb of coal - the hint is in the fact that they are all 1lb! The volume of those things may be different but it will still be 1lb in weight.

You also directly contradict yourself in your post.... I don't understand how you can insist that 1 cubic inch of muscle and 1 cubic inch of fat are the same, and yet say that 1lb of muscle and 1lb of fat do not weigh the same!

We have muscle and fat as "blocks" for teaching aids and i can assure you that the muscle takes up a lot less space than the fat.

She's using the inverse of the "a pound is a pound" argument and is correct.

Yes, a pound is a pound.

Yes, a cubic inch is a cubic inch.

A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

A cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    The problem with the muscle takes up less space/weighs more argument is that you're both right, and wrong at the same time because density is a measurement of both space, and mass, so you can't just say space does one thing while the weight remains unaffected, and vice versa.

The way to say it is that five pounds of muscle weighs the same as five pounds of fat, but the space that five pounds of muscle takes up is less than the space five pounds of fat takes up. Conversely, one cubic foot of fat takes up the same space as one cubic foot of muscle, but one cubic foot of muscle weighs more than one cubic foot of fat.

End of argument.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    It's water retention.
    When I increase my water intake my weight always goes down, obviously eating well and exercising.
    When I'm dehydrated I always retain water weight.
    TOM, sodium, too many carbs, dehydration, and muscle building are all reasons for water retention.
    Can be fustrating!!
    Just stick with your routine and diet, increase water intake!
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Diannethegeek is my hero right now.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The problem with the muscle takes up less space/weighs more argument is that you're both right, and wrong at the same time because density is a measurement of both space, and mass, so you can't just say space does one thing while the weight remains unaffected, and vice versa.

The way to say it is that five pounds of muscle weighs the same as five pounds of fat, but the space that five pounds of muscle takes up is less than the space five pounds of fat takes up. Conversely, one cubic foot of fat takes up the same space as one cubic foot of muscle, but one cubic foot of muscle weighs more than one cubic foot of fat.

End of argument.

*applause*

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - are you lifting progressively heavier things? How many calories a day are you eating?
    -
    NO offense, but I don't think you are building muscle with interval training and three to five days a week of cardio....
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’ll avoid the measurement argument (although density is the answer).

I will say this: Weight loss is a terrible goal. What I believe you want is fat loss. When people fixate on the scale, they’re pushed to make some very unhealthy choices. Instead of the scale, you should focus on the following:
    - How do I feel?
    - How and I sleeping?
    - How is my energy level?
    - Am I losing body fat (this can be by direct measurement or through a proxy of body measurements - neck, chest, stomach, waist, hips, upper arms, upper legs).
    - Am I meeting my other health goals (strength, muscle mass gain/retention, endurance, cardiovascular, mobility, balance, agility, speed, etc.)?
    - How does my blood work look (for some, this last one is optional, but I like to know and tweak my program to suit)?