Success! The road to a healthier me.

Options
ssanford77
ssanford77 Posts: 20 Member
In February of 2012 I was at the doctor’s and my blood pressure kept setting of the alarm on the machine, they put me on a scale and I found out I weighed 207lbs. This shocked me, I knew I was overweight but I did not know I had gotten that heavy. They put me on blood pressure medication at that time. I was 35 years old and thought I was too young to need blood pressure medication, this scared me. I stopped drinking alcohol hoping this would help my situation and I started trying to cut back on what I was eating. September of 2012 I stopped smoking as well. I had difficulty doing any physical task for any length of time; my blood pressure would just go up and up while I was trying to. I couldn’t mow the lawn or shovel the walk. In September of 2013 I found out my cholesterol was borderline; they told me I didn’t need medication yet but I needed to watch my diet and start exercising. I signed up with a gym and discovered I was down to 180lbs. I attended the gym regularly until I started a new job and started having trouble fitting it into my schedule. My husband signed up with MFP in May of 2014 and lost quite a bit of weight that month so I signed on in June. Since then I have logged everyday with the exception of a cruise we took in August. I have only been over calories one day and that was Thanksgiving, I was over by 36 calories and it still annoys me. In August of 2014 I was able to come of my blood pressure medication. In December I hit a plateau and had to start exercising so I started going to my local recreation facility and using their fitness center. I try to go down there four times a week but sometimes I only make it three times. In January I got a Fitbit and started tracking steps. It is now April and I have hit my goal weight of 120lbs.
When people ask how I did it I tell them the following things. First I have honestly tracked everything that has gone into my mouth. If it goes into my mouth it goes into my diary. I weigh and measure everything; I am no good at guessing about portions, I need to be certain. I allowed MFP to set my diet goals, I don’t know enough about these things to figure it out for myself. MFP never steered me wrong, I consistently lost weight aiming for their goals. I don’t have cheat days; I stay under calories every single day. I do allow myself little treats just about every day so I don’t need to cheat. I have found lower calorie options. I do not believe in fad diets (sorry beachbody people), I don’t believe they are sustainable. I believe this has to be a lifestyle change that I can commit to for the rest of my life. I eat normal everyday food. I do not eat back my work out calories. I believe we all underestimate the calories in our food and overestimate the calories we burn. I want to leave myself room for error. Workout calories are just bonus calories towards my weekly deficit. I walk a lot; I make sure I get a minimum of 10000 steps every day. When I started I had my goal as 7000 because I work a desk job so I wasn’t sure if I could achieve 10000. I found if I committed 10000 wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. I walk for half an hour every morning, half an hour over my lunch break and half an hour after supper. That gives me about 9000 right there so I only need to make up another 1000. These are some of the things I did to get healthy, I am sure there are others but they are many and this covers the basics of it.
I am not perfect, none of us are. My overeating is like a tiny monster that lives inside of me, it is an obsession that always cries for more. I have not had the luxury of giving myself any leeway. If I do, that little monster gets bigger and stronger and cries for more. I had to commit 100% to my program in order to keep the monster under control. That meant not playing games and tricking myself into believing I could play the games to eat more. I kept things very black and white with no grey areas. I had to keep it simple so the monster stayed at bay. I believe I will be a life-long member of MFP because I don’t think the monster will ever leave me completely.
If you are starting out I suggest that you find friends who are successful, the ones that have lost substantial amounts of weight. Get a fitness tracker and get active. I’m not saying you need to go to the gym every day, I am saying get moving. Be honest with yourself, log everything accurately. I have heard it said whether you do or not your body will keep an accurate log of what you eat. There is no easy answer, it is work. For me it was calories in versus calories out. I had to burn more calories than I consumed and sometimes that meant I was hungry. However being hungry was worth it! I am strong, healthy and I look great! Know it is possible and you can do it!

wo3lydknjirt.jpg

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You look like a new person!
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, great job!
  • BriannaLeahyJohnson2015
    BriannaLeahyJohnson2015 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I love this post so hard!
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story and congrats!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Love your words of wisdom...keep it simple, if you bite it, write it! Nice work you look fabulous and I can tell you feel fabulous too!
  • jsanford76
    jsanford76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job!!!
  • lemonaid7
    lemonaid7 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    WOW, your transformation is amazing! Very powerful & inspiring message, really hits home for me as my starting weight was also 207lbs. How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?
  • Deborah271
    Deborah271 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What a great story, congratulations! I loved your honesty, especially about the little monster living inside of you that always wants more, I can relate because I have the same monster. Your success motivated me so much that I would like to add you to my friend list for motivation, I too have lots of weight to lose and hope you can help & motivate me.
  • ssanford77
    Options
    lemonaid7 wrote: »
    WOW, your transformation is amazing! Very powerful & inspiring message, really hits home for me as my starting weight was also 207lbs. How tall are you if you don't mind me asking?

I am 5'2" tall.
  • rach021979
    rach021979 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Excellent work, congratulations!
  • Gaets
    Gaets Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You're hard work has paid off..again congrats
  • Carrietodd1
    Carrietodd1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So, so proud of you!!! You are a true inspiration! Thank you for telling your story and doing it with such honesty. Job well done!
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Your honesty with yourself really hit home. I'm pretty new here with 15 lbs gone but already my doctor took me off insulin and now I'm working to get off my diabetes pill and blood pressure med. I agree with keeping that monster at bay. I too will be forever doing that. But, the outcome is worth it. Again, thanks for sharing.
  • ssanford77
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Your honesty with yourself really hit home. I'm pretty new here with 15 lbs gone but already my doctor took me off insulin and now I'm working to get off my diabetes pill and blood pressure med. I agree with keeping that monster at bay. I too will be forever doing that. But, the outcome is worth it. Again, thanks for sharing.

Congratulations on getting off your insulin. That is a great achievement. Be proud!
  • aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    well done! you look great :D
  • millermkarate
    millermkarate Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Amazing story and I love how you broke down what you needed to do to make those important changes in your life for your health. Congratulations on looking and feeling great - your perseverance and hard work has paid off and is an inspiring example for the rest of us :)
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Loved your story, you look amazing.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Great story and pictures! Thanks for the inspiration!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!