6 months into "no-logging" maintenance

Options
Each person develops the style of maintenance that works for them, and I know that some people feel best when they continue to log calories. I just wanted to share my method because it has worked for me for the last 6 1/2 months. I'm 5'8", used MyFitnessPal to go from 161 lbs to 135, which took almost 4 months. When I reached 135, in mid-November, I happily put away my food scale. Since then, I have done the following:

I don't eat until I'm actually hungry. I stop eating as soon as I feel satisfied, even if I leave food on the plate. I don't drink any fruit juice or soda.

That's pretty much it. Today I'm at 132 lbs, but I only weigh myself every few weeks. I don't count calories or track my exercise. I just spent a couple months in France, so I've definitely been eating white bread and pastry every day -- but not a whole lot of it.

Just wanted to say that for me, maintenance has turned out to be sort of instinctive and hasn't required the super-focus on food that I had to do while losing weight. I'm grateful to the MFP community for all the weight-loss info and help.

Replies

• Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, congratulations! Do you do more/less or the same amount of exercise as when you were losing?
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I probably do roughly the same amount, overall. I don't go to the gym or work out, but in the normal course of living I end up doing quite a bit of bike-riding, walking and gardening.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Whatever your personal style of weight loss and maintenance, the MFP community makes all the difference!
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! Congrats btw. I've always wanted to eat intuitively but am still not ready to get rid of my measuring cups. But this post does inspire me to do so :-)
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I love reading about successful maintenance experiences.

Outside of the not drinking calories, this wouldn't work for me, but it sounds like you have a great plan there for yourself.

Congratulations! :)
  • theconstantgardener
    theconstantgardener Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When it came to stopping how easy did you find it? I tried before but got paranoid about underestimating everything and found it hard not to just add it up in my head anyway. I'm soon to reach maintenance. I'm lucky because my instinctive choices are always healthy with an occasional craving, which subsides with a small amount of whatever that thing might be. So I'm not worried about getting sidetracked it's more about shifting my mentality as I would much rather have an avocado over a chocolate bar etc but sometimes I find thinking about calories alters my decision and I go for the less healthy option simply because of numbers.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that. I maintained my weight for more than five years doing that. My big mistake was that I didn't continue to weigh myself and I let myself by with gaining weight.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I think that's great that you've learned how to do this intuitively. I've continued to log for the most part. I find when I don't, I allow extra calories to creep into my diet and inevitably I'll gain a pound or two.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My height, weight and maintenance method are pretty identical to the OP's. I think I found my twin.

For me, logging would keep me thinking of food all the time. Obsessing about food is a waste of my valuable time and actually encourages me to eat more.

Eyeballing portion sizes, carby-ness, richness of foods, etc. is pretty automatic when you've been doing this for a while. Eating till you're completely full becomes uncomfortable. You learn to "snack" on no-cal beverages instead of food, and sitting there picking at solid snacks a few times a day feels weird, unnecessary and fattening.

I think one of people's main diet/maintenance killers is failure to break the food obsession. Logging does not help this. Snacking does not help this.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Very nice!

But you were hardly overweight to begin with, you got to keep that in mind. Probably easier for someone who has never been obese to rely on hunger and satisfaction signals, than someone who was used to eating 4000 calories at one point.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Really great that it's worked out for you!
    Although, i dunno about the "I don't eat until I'm actually hungry" part. ;)
    With me, i have to eat every 3 hours.....i dont really like to get to the point of actually being hungry.
  • Ewing69
    Ewing69 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    great job and keep having regular weighs in
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I hope that I'll be able to do this once I get to my GW. I don't weigh anything right now as it is anyways. Great job by the way. You sound like you have a wonderful and balanced view on food and dieting.
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loved reading this. I am similar in that I believe and logging does make me a little nuts/overly focused on food. I am really hoping to find the right balance and keep it in check by regular weigh-ins BUT not counting calories.

It seems like an especially impressive feat given that you were in France!
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    congrats. Everyone needs to do what works for them. I hope. to be able to do the same when i reach my maintenance goal. Personally I think I might way my self a little more often, but that is just me.
  • sunnydays851
    sunnydays851 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You don't log? I was wondering if I would be able to do that without being a body builder because that is probably the only way I won't gain weight back. 87 days in and I still eat when I'm bored. But then again, I eat a small breakfast and sometimes a small lunch if I'm not too hungry, so I'm open for a big dinner and a couple of snacks. Sometimes I wonder if I will be chained to logging forever. I don't want to have to worry all the time about what is in what I'm eating or avoiding all the good family owned or small restaurants because they aren't in the database. I like logging and all my new friends but I don't want to be chained to this rock for the rest of my life.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 3 years, having lost 40 pounds. I had pretty good food habits, but had crept up to the top of my healthy BMI over 20 years.

I basically do what you do, but log. It's a fantastic technique and basically is what you need to maintain successfully even if you DO log. I like the logging just because I do, but also because sometimes I am hungry and feel like eating when I've eaten what I normally do. Logging gives me permission to trust my body without worry. It's almost always right.
  • Fizbi
    Fizbi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm not that smart. I won't be able to stop counting calories until I'm in the grave, and even then I'll probably continue just to make sure I don't gain any more weight.