What I learned being on the forums for a week

Options
Before I thought there was such a thing as clean eating only and if I messed up even a little, the entire day is ruined and my diet is done. At first I was super mad that all of you are so strict/flat out against clean eating especially when I am prone to binges from too much "dirty" eating. But now I love how direct you guys are and it helped me learn that my diet is truly not over just because I had one thing that isn't "totally" healthy, having some cheat snacks might even help me keep on track. What I used to do definitely didn't work, which would be perfect eating and then binging after that and gaining it all back since I allowed myself nothing tasty

Replies

• lilypond45
    lilypond45 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Agreed, have learnt a lot!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    The best diet is one you can stick to.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    baby05phat wrote: »
    Before I thought there was such a thing as clean eating only and if I messed up even a little, the entire day is ruined and my diet is done. At first I was super mad that all of you are so strict/flat out against clean eating especially when I am prone to binges from too much "dirty" eating. But now I love how direct you guys are and it helped me learn that my diet is truly not over just because I had one thing that isn't "totally" healthy, having some cheat snacks might even help me keep on track. What I used to do definitely didn't work, which would be perfect eating and then binging after that and gaining it all back since I allowed myself nothing tasty

You. I like you.
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    There are a whole lot of diet myths out there, these forums pretty much debunk them all!

.... And have pretty much ruined Pinterest for me now that I know 99% of the weight loss pins are wrong lol
  • baby05phat
    baby05phat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yeah I love it here now, since coming here I see a light at the end of the tunnel and I never used to before
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Pleasantly suprised - not what I was expecting at all! I'm glad that you have had a positive experience!!! :)
  • baby05phat
    Options
    There are a whole lot of diet myths out there, these forums pretty much debunk them all!

.... And have pretty much ruined Pinterest for me now that I know 99% of the weight loss pins are wrong lol

same!! lol My pins/tumblr are ruined :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Just listen to me and you'll be fine. ;)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Yay! So glad to see someone with such a refreshing attitude who has been helped by the forums. Hope you stick around!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Pleasantly suprised - not what I was expecting at all! I'm glad that you have had a positive experience!!! :)

Me, too. I was expecting a mean people thread. But I agree with the OP.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OP - sounds like you have a great attitude. You'll make great progress toward your goals!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I used to read diet books for fun. No more, ruined! :laugh:
  • baby05phat
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Same!! I have like 4 I bought in the past (all with major restrictions), and they're all going to be donated away lol
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Well now, that could be fun! You're getting an in depth look at the newest fads that will be discussed here, while being wise enough not to buy into them. And laughing at the idea that eating x ingredient 3 times a day will melt away the belly fat
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I think every single helpful poster here has been called some variation of mean/nasty/troll/bully/etc at some point or another when someone doesn't like their advice. I really love seeing threads like these. They're a nice breath of air when those of us who are trying to help get tired of it all. Sadly, they never last. There are always one or two posters who insist on bringing in their grievances from other threads.

@baby05phat I'm really glad that you found what you needed here. I used to binge, too, once I'd gone off plan and the forums here helped me learn enough to realize that I hadn't ruined everything and that I could pick up my diet again without shame or guilt for overeating. I love seeing others who learn to fight back against the same problems :flowerforyou:

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I just laugh every time I hear "no diets, no exercise and lose all the weight" all this for $$$$ a month! To the OP, to me clean eating is really about good natural food choices. It really more of a goal than a commandment. Some not so good stuff mixed in does not negate all the good that you do. I do find myself saying "I can't believe I use to eat that" a lot. So I guess I have changed my lifestyle but I am far from perfect.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Same!! I have like 4 I bought in the past (all with major restrictions), and they're all going to be donated away lol

I argue with weight loss commercials now! The commercials never listen, but at least it makes me feel better :drinker:

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I learned here to focus on nutritious dense foods vs calorie dense, and I focus on my main nutritious daily meals, but now I allow 200-300 daily calories to go into whatever little snack I need, like chocolate, or anything I want. Or if I have a day where I am at a birthday party, I will have half my day as "calorie dense" foods, and then back home go back to my nutritious foods. The point is my diet isn't ruined at all! As long as I have a deficit and am overall healthy/not giving up on my diet from an imperfect day like before
    Anyone can say anything

Even if it is wrong

I leaned here that a 250 calorie meal of doughnuts is the same value as a s
    250 calorie meal of black beans and sweet potato

Yeah right....

Boring balanced diets with a variety of good foods and a reasonable amount of exercise. Hmmmm...

That could never work

You've got this! This is a way of eating that's sustainable. And that's what I think made it click for you. It's wonderful to see. Thanks for sharing what you've realized.

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan OP. Just like one salad won't make you healthy, one piece of chocolate won't derail your progress.

I have found that since I quit restricting things I don't really want it as often as I used to. I can have it if I want it, but most of the time I really don't think about them. In the past when I cut things out and tried to substitute them or just ride it out it it usually lead to a binge.