Goooaalll ! And it started with an app...before and after pics that show that CICO really works

LyndaLee68
LyndaLee68 Posts: 16 Member
edited June 2015 in Success Stories
On July 5th, 2014, a friend shared her weight loss victory on Facebook. Being that I'd never attempted any diet or fitness plan in my life (my thought being "I'm not going to start something I know I won't succeed at, I can't eat low calorie bad tasting food forever, and I'm going to eat socially and not feel awkward or resentful."), I was almost afraid to ask why she was successful this time, when the other times over the years she had yo-yo'd and been unhappy. Wanting to keep my thought of actually doing something to change where I was, I inboxed her with the question, "what's been working for you, how has it worked all year long, and why do you sound so positive and happy this time?". While I waited to hear back, I told myself that "if she says weight watchers I'm out, if she says shakes and bars I'm out, if she says surgery I'm out, if she says prepackaged diet means I'm out". Her response; "I use MyFitnessPal... it's just calories in, calories out". Huh? That's it??? What?? Where's the catch? I waited for the rest, but nothing else came up from her... then a link to the app. UGH ! Come on! There's got to be more to it, right?? We talked/typed a little more, and she made it sound so doable. So possible.
So, on July 6th I decided to give it a go. My second and last child would be leaving for college in 3 weeks (and being a scholar athlete she was given a regiment to be working out all summer), and I knew that my calendar, my job as a parent, my freetime, and my focus would be changing. I knew that my husband would most likely be crying into his beer and food (he's a tenderhearted dad that totally lost it when our son left for college -- I could only imagine what would happen when his baby girl left), while I would be doing my usual fast-food runs when I needed to get out of the house, and not have to cook for anyone anymore... just feed myself my favorite comfort foods. The timing seemed perfect.... it was now or never.
A week later I was down 3 pounds. Hmmm.. this thing may actually work. 2 weeks more and more pounds. Hey... I still get to eat at In N Out Burger! Hey, if I walk 3 miles this morning I can have an Original Tommy's chili burger with my kids and still succeed ! Hey, we went out to dinner with friends and I didn't have to order the obvious "i'm trying to loose weight, so I'll just have the salad.... (now give me the obligatory "good for you" speech, while I sulk and suffer while you have what I really wanted to order).
Now, after about 43 weeks of balanced eating, walking (then up to jogging, then doing a mud run!), introducing myself to the gym, and consciensely thinking about what, where, and how I'm eating, I have reached my goal weight. And the best part is... IT WASN'T HORRIBLE ! It was actually not as bad as I thought it would be.
When I look at the charts and graphs, I'm reminded that I could be content with maintaining weight during the holidays, and had lost weight when I was keeping to my routine week or month, and exercised regularly.
I am pleased with myself.. and my kids are proud of me, which is the greatest feeling ever. I now carry enough info in my brain to know what I should eat less of (which calories are worth my time and cravings, and which I am unwilling to use), and to figure out how many steps I've taken in a day, and that if I go over by 300 calories 2 or 3 times during the week, I know what to expect to see on the scale and not be shocked. I have maintained my goal weight for 3 weeks now.. and I know what I need to do if I want to see changes.
And it all started with a friend and an App
47 years old - 5'7
Starting weight 258 - Goal weight 175 - Total pounds lost 83
:smile:

m3z7j9tccx8u.jpg
fwv11nxa6i6j.jpg
34b84k1aarow.jpg
sebe8p1qnscl.jpg
453527sqppp0.jpg

Replies

• hollynono
    hollynono Posts: 80 Member
    You look terrific and I loved your post - thanks!
  • krisleed
    krisleed Posts: 1 Member
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing your story:-)
  • 32kenny
    32kenny Posts: 6 Member
    You look amazing
  • tasleem2015
    tasleem2015 Posts: 8 Member
    Amazing transformation.
  • skumar86
    skumar86 Posts: 5 Member
    You look fab! Well done you x
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    What a brilliant healthy attitude
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Lovevly story! You look amazing. Congratulations!!
  • ChiffonLaRue14
    ChiffonLaRue14 Posts: 40 Member
    My goodness you are gorgeous!!! Thank you for sharing your inspiring story :)
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    I love that April 2015 left pic pose! Cool
  • LHann360
    LHann360 Posts: 159 Member
    Congratulations on your journey ! You're story is just the inspiration I needed this morning :D
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Great work!!! Soooo proud of you !!!
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Wow- you are wonderful and well done to your friend too for introducing you to the App. Keep it up. It's worth it.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Congratulations what a great year you've had! Nice work!
  • Funship
    Funship Posts: 86 Member
    You look absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing your story, so encouraging!!!
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    You look amazing! Well done!
  • Sherbear0123
    Sherbear0123 Posts: 26 Member
    What an inspirational success! Thank you for sharing!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Such a great inspiration! Thanks for sharing and hope others starting read! You look amazing!
  • InsanityForMe
    InsanityForMe Posts: 73 Member
    Congrats!! you look amazing! like a teenager!!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Thank you for sharing and congratulations. You look wonderful and I bet you feel even better!
  • WranglerMichelle
    WranglerMichelle Posts: 529 Member
    Outstanding results! Never would have guessed you were 47 with two kids in college.

Something else I liked about your post - most people DO NOT want to hear that they have to track calories. They want to hear (what they think is) the easiest possible solution. Personally, I don't think there's anything hard about tracking calories, but lots of people I have told about CICO go, "Oh. Well that's not for me." So good for you! :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!