weight loss on cipralex or antidepressants

Options
Monna2
Monna2 Posts: 100 Member
Hello guys
I have been on cipralex(antidepressant) for three years now. And I can't stop it. I gained about 20 kg + I had already been 38 kg overweight before starting the med.
Has anyone lost weight while being on cipralex or any other antidep.?

Replies

• JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm on Aropax as well as Seroquel, (with the occasional Clonazepam thrown in for good measure). Have lost 62.5lbs so far this year.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i'm on cymbalta (3 years now). Over the last 18 months I have lost almost 50 lbs.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm on Prozac, Wellbutrin, Buspirone, Seroquel, and the occassional Ativan. I just started my weight loss journey, but I'm down 5lbs.

Cipralex is an SSRI and they can cause weight gain. You could talk to your Dr about taking Wellbutrin, an MAOI, as it has caused people to lose weight.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Getting on Wellbutrin has made me able to stay on plan, exercise 5x/week and lose 38 lbs in 4 1/2 months. I didn't know I needed it until I saw the results. I wouldn't say it causes people to lose weight but it gets you mind in the right place to do the work!
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Not only has BuPropion SR (Wellbutrin) helped with my depression, it has also suppressed my appetite (for now).
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Dani9585 wrote: »
    I'm on Prozac, Wellbutrin, Buspirone, Seroquel, and the occassional Ativan. I just started my weight loss journey, but I'm down 5lbs.

Cipralex is an SSRI and they can cause weight gain. You could talk to your Dr about taking Wellbutrin, an MAOI, as it has caused people to lose weight.

Wellbutrin is not an MAOI, and MAOIs cause weight gain generally, not loss.

Wellbutrin can make it easier to lose weight, but make sure you talk to your doctor about the seizure risk, especially if you have any eating disorder history.
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've been on antidepressants for the better part of 15 years. I don't think I ever gained weight because of them. But I have had a few antidepressants that made me HUNGRY, but whether that was the actual medication or because I was feeling better, I can't say. There are many antidepressants out there. If you're not happy with something about it, then talk with your doctor. Find something you are happy with. I tried many before I tried Paxil, but when I did, I felt really good. I've been on it 8 years now.
  • mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Check drugs.com for side effects of medications
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Monna2 wrote: »
    Hello guys
    I have been on cipralex(antidepressant) for three years now. And I can't stop it. I gained about 20 kg + I had already been 38 kg overweight before starting the med.
    Has anyone lost weight while being on cipralex or any other antidep.?

Prett much every time I get on a medication routine I lose weight. I binge and overeat when I'm depressed, and exercise motivation disappears bc everything disappears. Once I'm stable on medication I always lose and get back to the gym.

Do you feel the medicine is making you more hungry? Does it have metabolic effects? If the answer is yes maybe you can switch to a new medicine. If the answer is no, perhaps you need to take a long hard look at your attitudes and habits. Best of luck
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Dani9585 wrote: »

Wellbutrin is not an MAOI, and MAOIs cause weight gain generally, not loss.

Wellbutrin can make it easier to lose weight, but make sure you talk to your doctor about the seizure risk, especially if you have any eating disorder history.

This...was just about to post the same. MAOI's interact with a lot of drugs and foods. A lot. It's (Wellbutrin) main appeal is it isn't like most SSRIs that cause sexual dysfunction and weight gain. Generally used as an add-on to some SSRIs. If you're concerned about weight gain, you might also discuss with your doctor lowering the dose of your medicine. I've been on a few. Currently taking Zoloft (50 MG) and I haven't had any issues that are typical of SSRIs so far. In my case, going above that caused me to have issues. As always, everyone is different when it comes to these meds.
  • Monna2
    Monna2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for replying.
    I don't think cipralex makes me hungry. I eat normally, but I can't restrict my calorie intake to lose weight. So, I can easily eat 2000 calories, but not less.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm on zoloft. Some people think it causes weight gain, but I've found that I eat less because my anxiety is in check.