Getting The Most Out Of Swimming and Pool Time?

Options
Following health problems I went from a very physical job (self defence instructor), to being unable to walk half a mile. I have just taken up swimming (I swam a lot as a child) and in five days, have gone from being able to manage just half a length of front crawl/ freestyle, to 15 lengths non stop, rest and repeat, repeatedly over an hour. I'll continue to work on increasing my consecutive lengths but I'm happy with that start.

During most sessions (90-120 mins each), I then use mixed strokes (back and breast, still learning butterfly!). I also do arm and leg drills. During some sessions, I add in water running (forwards, sideways and backwards).

I'm not at a point where I can return to land based activities yet and even if/ when I can, swimming will remain my exercise of choice and the most easily accessible. So, could anyone give me more ideas on how to make the most of my pool time? I'm happy to invest in any equipment that might be useful but I'm not keen on joint exercising, so aquafit type groups are not for me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There is a Swimmers group on MFP.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/122-swimmers.

The main posting thread is http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1342951/did-you-swim-today#Item_1798

There are some really good people who are all ways willing to offer up suggestions and workout plans.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10164950/swim-workouts/p1
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'll have a look now.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    There are two different options, a time-based approach, which is more common, and the distance based approach, which I prefer.

Time-Based Approach:
    Keep doing what you're doing, but keep track of how long you're resting between laps, then make it consistent, then start decreasing the rest time. To then take it a notch higher, don't just keep track of the rest time, but start each lap (or other distance) at a set interval. Then if you start swimming slower, you end up with less rest time.

Distance-Based Approach:
    Another method is distance based. If you don't like watching the clock, rest as much as you want, but work on increasing your continuous swimming distance. How many lengths can you swim without stopping? If it's one, that's fine. If it's less, that's fine too. Whatever amount it is, that's your current benchmark.

Make sure you do that distance three or more times every time you swim for at least 1-2 weeks. Keep doing this distance until you can do it six times in a workout. Catch your breath and rest as much as you need to in between swimming this benchmark distance (but not before you complete the distance).

Once you are comfortable doing this distance six times, then add a length to the first of the six sets. Then add it to the first and second set, etc. Keep going like that, until you're able to swim six times six lengths. In a 25-yard pool that's a half-mile. A very respectable work-out.

Don't worry about swimming fast. In fact, it will help a great deal to purposefully swim slower to find a easy, consistent pace that you can sustain for longer periods of time. There's no timetable for how quickly you increase your endurance or how far you end up swimming in your workouts. You will find your own pace and challenge yourself as you are able. Swimming is a great exercise and is easily tailored to exactly meet your current ability and goals.

I used this method to go from swimming 3 lengths to swimming 3 miles in 3 months.
  • Immerito
    Immerito Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    There are two different options, a time-based approach, which is more common, and the distance based approach, which I prefer.

Time-Based Approach:
    Keep doing what you're doing, but keep track of how long you're resting between laps, then make it consistent, then start decreasing the rest time. To then take it a notch higher, don't just keep track of the rest time, but start each lap (or other distance) at a set interval. Then if you start swimming slower, you end up with less rest time.

Distance-Based Approach:
    Another method is distance based. If you don't like watching the clock, rest as much as you want, but work on increasing your continuous swimming distance. How many lengths can you swim without stopping? If it's one, that's fine. If it's less, that's fine too. Whatever amount it is, that's your current benchmark.

Make sure you do that distance three or more times every time you swim for at least 1-2 weeks. Keep doing this distance until you can do it six times in a workout. Catch your breath and rest as much as you need to in between swimming this benchmark distance (but not before you complete the distance).

Once you are comfortable doing this distance six times, then add a length to the first of the six sets. Then add it to the first and second set, etc. Keep going like that, until you're able to swim six times six lengths. In a 25-yard pool that's a half-mile. A very respectable work-out.

Don't worry about swimming fast. In fact, it will help a great deal to purposefully swim slower to find a easy, consistent pace that you can sustain for longer periods of time. There's no timetable for how quickly you increase your endurance or how far you end up swimming in your workouts. You will find your own pace and challenge yourself as you are able. Swimming is a great exercise and is easily tailored to exactly meet your current ability and goals.

I used this method to go from swimming 3 lengths to swimming 3 miles in 3 months.

Good information. Thanks.
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »

Time-Based Approach:

Distance-Based Approach:

Thank you so much Robertus! Distance based appeals to me much more than timed and your results are really encouraging. I'll start following your plan on Monday. It sounds challenging but manageable, which is exactly what I need.

Thanks again :)