High Protein, Low Carb, Low Calorie Diet Suggestions

Options
Any recommendations on some cookbooks to follow this type of diet? any opinions on this type of weight loss? seems to be working well for me so far. I am mostly eating quest bars, vegetables, boneless breadless thin-sliced chicken and certain types of fish. I will also add in to my meals, almond milk, egg whites, almonds, beans (lima, black, adzuki, green, kidney) and other items that i think are healthy.

Here are the rules i follow: no cheese, no bread, no crackers, no starchy foods, im limited on the vegetables i can eat due to a mechanical heart valve (vitamin k and cumadin levels). I also dont eat any thing i dont cook or comes naturally other than the protein bars.

I have cheated previously and i probably will again but i soon get back on my diet again and continue, so far i have lost over 40 lbs with very little to no exercise. The first 20 lbs was from nutrisystem then i hit a plateau for like 3 months and changed my diet up to this. Feel free to look at my food intake which i religiously fill out as well as my other progress and give me advice as you would suggest.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Just google low carb recipes
  • shawnmstout
    shawnmstout Posts: 131 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    when i do low carb, i see high fat or high calorie recipes, which is why i was asking.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    If you're prone to cheat be aware of the impact of low carb on your natural water weight...you may well see a dramatic scale increase by reintroducing carbs (like 10-15lbs overnight) as glycogen stores get replenished

I'm personally against deprivation diets as I find they make me crash and burn, I believe in the learning curve of weight loss and that can only really happen if you follow a programme that you can stick to for life or have a series of stepping stones planned out for hitting maintenance
  • MoniqueForgues
    MoniqueForgues Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You might enjoy Atkins.com...This diet really suppresses your appetite and you yourself might enjoy the foods it has to offer. People lose a lot of weight on this diet without exercise. Just saying..
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    im doing low carb, not no carbs, probably under 100g per day is what my target is but it may be closer to 100-200. that way i dont experience the issue you are stating, atleast i hope not
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    You might enjoy Atkins.com...This diet really suppresses your appetite and you yourself might enjoy the foods it has to offer. People lose a lot of weight on this diet without exercise. Just saying..

thanks, i have looked into adkins but there are some things that are simply unhealthy that they suggest, cheese, lard, butter, ect... isnt very healthy for you. So i am trying to do an alternative to the adkins diet as specified above. similiar principle though.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Looked at your diary for 3 days and what you are doing is unhealthily VLCD ...you've logged under 1000. Under 700 and under 1100 on 3 consecutive days

Your protein and fats are ridiculously low

I'm sorry I have to get ready for work now but hopefully somebody will be along with time to look properly and fix that with you
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Looked at your diary for 3 days and what you are doing is unhealthily VLCD ...you've logged under 1000. Under 700 and under 1100 on 3 consecutive days

Your protein and fats are ridiculously low

I'm sorry I have to get ready for work now but hopefully somebody will be along with time to look properly and fix that with you

I understand :) thanks for looking. I know the past few days have been low, but i have not been that hungry.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    You might find the South Beach Diet cookbook useful - as others have noted, your VLCD leaves you plenty of room for adding nutrition that your body needs.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations on some cookbooks to follow this type of diet? any opinions on this type of weight loss? seems to be working well for me so far. I am mostly eating quest bars, vegetables, boneless breadless thin-sliced chicken and certain types of fish. I will also add in to my meals, almond milk, egg whites, almonds, beans (lima, black, adzuki, green, kidney) and other items that i think are healthy.

Here are the rules i follow: no cheese, no bread, no crackers, no starchy foods, im limited on the vegetables i can eat due to a mechanical heart valve (vitamin k and cumadin levels). I also dont eat any thing i dont cook or comes naturally other than the protein bars.

I have cheated previously and i probably will again but i soon get back on my diet again and continue, so far i have lost over 40 lbs with very little to no exercise. The first 20 lbs was from nutrisystem then i hit a plateau for like 3 months and changed my diet up to this. Feel free to look at my food intake which i religiously fill out as well as my other progress and give me advice as you would suggest.
    Ground low fat turkey, low fat grass fed buffalo, veal, ham, pork tenderloin, shrimp, lobster, crab.
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Ground low fat turkey, low fat grass fed buffalo, veal, ham, pork tenderloin, shrimp, lobster, crab.

• RodaRose
    Options
    What you describe is somewhat like the Dukan Diet. Numerous cookbooks exist for this.
    http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/dukan-diet
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    You might find the South Beach Diet cookbook useful - as others have noted, your VLCD leaves you plenty of room for adding nutrition that your body needs.

I was just looking at it and it looks similar to nutrisystem. The big disadvantage i found with that was the salt intake and the carbs ingested. I am trying to go towards more recipes then pre-packaged foods now. This is why i was asking about cookbooks.
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    What you describe is somewhat like the Dukan Diet. Numerous cookbooks exist for this.

didnt know it had a name, thanks i will look right now :)
  • shawnmstout
    Options

Hmm, i dont believe any diet can be an "all you can eat" which is what they are suggesting... You still want to reduce your calorie intake per day as well. I could be wrong though but enough proof is out there suggesting that if you have the deficit in calories you will lose the weight. The protein helps with helping me feel fuller which is why my focus was on that part.
  • RodaRose
    Options

Hmm, i dont believe any diet can be an "all you can eat" which is what they are suggesting... You still want to reduce your calorie intake per day as well. I could be wrong though but enough proof is out there suggesting that if you have the deficit in calories you will lose the weight. The protein helps with helping me feel fuller which is why my focus was on that part.
    You are right of course.
    Amazon will have Dukan books with recipes that you mentioned.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You've lost 40lbs so far... if it's working why not keep doing whatever you're doing?
    Oh and cheese / other fats are fine for you in moderation.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    PLEASE CHECK HIS VLCD, LOW PROTEIN, LOW FAT DIARY BEFORE OFFERING MORE ADVICE

sorry ...in a rush
  • shawnmstout
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You've lost 40lbs so far... if it's working why not keep doing whatever you're doing?
    Oh and cheese / other fats are fine for you in moderation.

I am but i have primarily ate chicken, salmon and tuna as my staples, now i am trying to add some recipes so they taste better and maybe introduce some more staples that will meet the same criteria. The reason i am trying to limit my cheese intake is because i have been monitoring my weight loss pretty religiously for a while now. One thing i noticed is when i eat, that affects the scales about 2 days from that day. Anytime i had cheese added to my diet, my weight would increase significantly. Don't get me wrong, i absolutely love cheese and crave it, however my body is telling me to stay away from it. Mostly for fats i add avacado's into my diet with some balsamic vinegar, its really good :)
  • shawnmstout
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    PLEASE CHECK HIS VLCD, LOW PROTEIN, LOW FAT DIARY BEFORE OFFERING MORE ADVICE

sorry ...in a rush

if you look at my history, i only have had the appetite issue for the last few days which has lead to some very low calorie days. Most of the time i am around 1200-1700 calories per day. most of this has be contributed to me working on the house and either having a very quick small meal or just skipped a meal, such as lunch.