Can't force myself to 1000 calories!!

Options
Since starting Phen 37.5 it's so difficult for me to eat a meal now. I'm lucky if I can get down one chicken breast. With having dry mouth I'm drinking plenty water just not eating enough.
What do you all suggest? What can I eat to get those nutrients my body needs.

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Honestly? stop the meds under your doctor's supervision.
    If you aren't willing to do that: milk and EAS Complete Nutrition whey protein, with or without fruit blended in. Without fruit, an 8 oz shake is about 300 calories with whole milk.
  • tiffanyslimdown
    tiffanyslimdown Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you aren't willing to do that: milk and EAS Complete Nutrition whey protein, with or without fruit blended in. Without fruit, an 8 oz shake is about 300 calories with whole milk.

I really hate to stop! I feel like it help me 100% percent with controlling appetite & bad choices I would previously make. I don't even crave nonsense foods.
    My short term goal is to be down 50lbs by November, but will I get there without eating is my concern.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Stop.

I don't know much about Phentermine, but I know it's an appetite suppressant? If you really have to take it, eat foods which have a high caloric density;
    • Nuts and nut butters / trail mix
    • Fatty cuts of meat / 20% mince, pork , steak etc
    • Avocado and vegetable oils
    • Sweet treats
    • Ensure
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

I really hate to stop! I feel like it help me 100% percent with controlling appetite & bad choices I would previously make. I don't even crave nonsense foods.
    My short term goal is to be down 50lbs by November, but will I get there without eating is my concern.

It's 118 days till November 1st, 2015. That's around 16 weeks. To lose 50lb, you'd have to lose around 3lb per week. I'm not sure on your stats... but that's quite aggressive.
  • tiffanyslimdown
    Options

My short term goal is to be down 50lbs by November, but

It's 118 days till November 1st, 2015. That's around 16 weeks. To lose 50lb, you'd have to lose around 3lb per week. I'm not sure on your stats... but that's quite aggressive.

July, Aug., Sept., Oct., Nov...... 10lbs per month is what I was hoping to lose.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    That's quite a lot in my opinion.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Personally, I would be more concerned about being able to get adequate nutrition in. Yes you will lose weight, but the effects of malnutrition can be serious and deadly. If you had to choose would you rather:
    A) Be 50 lbs lighter with malnutrition issues (hair loss, brittle nails, gall stones, lbm loss (muscle...heart is a muscle), etc)
    or
    B ) Be 17 - 34 lbs lighter without becoming malnourished

Personally, I'd go with the second option all the way, but that's just me.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The recommendation for safe weight loss is 1-2 lbs per week. You want to average 2.9 lbs per week which unless you have a lot to lose isn't going to be healthy or safe to do so.

edit: Oh and I'm not saying you have to stop the appetite suppressant. Just try to add in some calorie dense foods so that your getting closer to 1200 calories and you might want to adjust your weight loss expectations slightly.
  • tiffanyslimdown
    Options
    Yes @shadow2soul I have a lot to lose. Hopefully 100lbs by this time next year.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could ask your doctor to cut your Phen dose in half, or at least reduce it? Possibly the dosage is too high.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I would have a talk with your doctor about not getting enough calories. Your dose of Phen may be to high.

Anyway, here is a list of foods that are very nutrient dense.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • MsJoisey
    MsJoisey Posts: 29 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Many years ago I went on a doctor supervised liquid protein fast to lose weight. I did and when I came off it the weight came right back on. That particular program did not force me to have to deal with food, my relationship with it and so did not learn any useful habits that would allow me to keep the weight off.

If you don't need to be on that medication, and given you have some concerns, I would talk to your doctor about stopping. On a balanced eating plan you might be surprised to see those cravings for nonsense foods are under control. Works for me, Learning to deal with food, how to make good choices is very important to long term success.

• maybebeccadough
    maybebeccadough Posts: 49 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you're under a doctor's supervision, I wouldn't worry too much about anything we say here. Your PCP should make sure you're taken care of.

If not, I'd recommend going to your doctor and seeing if they recommend anything specific to avoid any harm while you're doing this, i.e. supplements so you get vital vitamins and minerals.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    3 pounds a week is less that 1% of OP's body weight, so not totally unreasonable.

OP, if I were you, I'd talk to your doctor and maybe get a referral to a registered dietician who can help you come up with food you can eat that meets your nutritional needs.

I'd also talk to your dentist about the dry mouth. I was on a medication that made my mouth dry for about 9 months, and a year later needed gum implants because my gums had receded so much due to the dry mouth.
  • tiffanyslimdown
    Options
    Oh my lorrdy!!!! Water wasn't enough to hydrate your mouth or chewing gum? @allyphoe
  • ST7927
    ST7927 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @tiffanyslimdown aside from the meds and eating...are you working out. Get on that treadmill and walk for 20 minutes and gradually get to 45 also do easy strength training exercises to begin with and you will see the weight drop. Working out is KEY! It will help you with weight loss but the strength training with also help with how your skin tightens up. Won't have as much loose skin.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Since starting Phen 37.5 it's so difficult for me to eat a meal now. I'm lucky if I can get down one chicken breast. With having dry mouth I'm drinking plenty water just not eating enough.
    What do you all suggest? What can I eat to get those nutrients my body needs.
    Get off the phen?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Now I'm not sure whether you intend on sustaining your weight after that drastic weight loss.

But honestly even if you reach your goal weight, the moment you get off those meds your artificially reduced appetite will return back to normal.

If you're relying solely on meds to keep your appetite low rather than training yourself to enjoy and get used to proper portion control and sustainable food/eating routines as a habit the moment you get off those meds your appetite will slowly grow back to normal, and you will end up getting hungrier, eating more and gaining back that weight because you have essentially starved your body of calories to reach a certain weight - hence you will need to permanently keep your body in starvation mode to maintain that weight.

The best way is to try not to use those meds, or to use the time that those meds buy you to formulate a healthy eating pattern and a sustainable healthy lifestyle so that once you get off those meds, you WILL gain back some of that weight due to the unnatural way you lost it, but you will be ready equipped to manage it in a way where you will not go back to an unhealthy weight.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Oh my lorrdy!!!! Water wasn't enough to hydrate your mouth or chewing gum? @allyphoe

Apparently not!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I would have a talk with your doctor about not getting enough calories. Your dose of Phen may be to high.

This. Talk to your doctor, bring your food log and explain you are having trouble eating more.