Anyone on Wellbutrin?

Options
I went to my PCP yesterday for anxiety and smoking cessation and he prescribed Wellbutrin to "kill 2 birds with one stone". The more I read about it, the reviews seem mixed but *most* people seem to have a good experience with it. I'm now seeing A LOT of reviews mentioning weight loss which is something my doctor didn't really discuss with me. I'm trying to lose 100lbs ish and will take whatever help I can get but I'm so worried it's going to have an adverse reaction and, with my luck, I'm just gonna gain:(

Does anyone have personal stories about this medication and/or weight loss?

Replies

• LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Over the years, I've prescribed it to several patients. Honestly, I've not seen any dramatic weight loss but never seen anyone gain on it either. It is effective for anxiety and so-so for smoking cessation (Chantix is best for this, IMHO).
  • moledew
    moledew Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    He mentioned Chantix but I think my weight is what steered him away from it initially. I'm going back in a month to see how its working so if it doesnt help me kick the smoking cravings, I'm sure that'll be his next step. I just find it odd that Welbutrin is for depression, weight loss AND smoking cessation? clearly, I'm no doctor but that seems like a "miracle pill". And I REALLY cannot afford to gain anymore weight so I'm glad to hear thats not something you see with it.
  • mxhobbes
    mxhobbes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! My doctor recommended Wellbutrin with similar word choice. I've done a little bit of research over Wellbutrin. There was a lawsuit at one point over doctors prescribing FOR its side effects at one point. The FDA was kind of like "Hey, you can't do that. This IS an anti-depressant, not a catch all." So one, arm yourself with that knowledge, and I hope your doctor is caring for you responsibly. But two, this situation does perhaps speak to the strengths of the side effects. The ones my doctor noted with me were losing cigarette cravings, curbed carve cravings, help with anxiety, help with depression. I wish I'd been watching my diet before Wellbutrin to say for sure, but even just in retrospect I tend to munch a lot less carbs at night. If I'm hungry or have the munchies I tend toward other things.
  • i_miss_me
    i_miss_me Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I take it for depression. It hasn't helped me lose a lot of weight but I believe its also an appetite suppressant. So because of that I dropped a few pounds.
  • moledew
    Options
    a lot of the reviews ive read on the weight loss say the PTs just arent interested in food anymore and its a burden to bother with the eating process (cooking, cleaning, driving to get food). is that how you felt? same with cigarettes, they just "forget" about it and after only DAYS of taking it, they are smoke free. I just cant see that happening for me, but I would freaking love it to be that easy!!!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Often anxiety can fuel binges. So if it effectively controls your anxiety-it may decrease your binges and you lose weight.

A lot of these drugs have a trickle down effect like this. Give it a try and see how you feel. The effectiveness and side effects can vary widely from person to person. Read about the drug from reputable sources-but I would stay away from depression forums, etc.
  • amy102875
    amy102875 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes, I take 150 mg. twice a day. I take it only for an antidepressant, but it also significantly reduces my appetite. I dropped my first 30 lbs. very quickly because I didn't feel like eating at all. It has evened out now and my appetite is at a healthy level now. I am still losing at a more steady pace and plan to reach my goal this fall. I will probably continue on the wellbutrin for the time being, a little nervous abt being able to maintain the weight loss w/o it. But my new good habits are getting pretty well established so I'm hopeful!
    I like wellbutrin better than zoloft for myself. That's the only other antidepressant I've taken in the past.
  • moledew
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Often anxiety can fuel binges. So if it effectively controls your anxiety-it may decrease your binges and you lose weight.

A lot of these drugs have a trickle down effect like this. Give it a try and see how you feel. The effectiveness and side effects can vary widely from person to person. Read about the drug from reputable sources-but I would stay away from depression forums, etc.

this is exactly what the majority of my problem is. stress= overeating & smoking. Makes sense that an overall feeling of well being would reduce the use of both of these things. I had a BAD experience with Prozac years ago so I'm really hoping this doesn't affect me the same way. I was a groggy zombie the whole 2 months i took that crap!
  • slaite1
    Options
    moledew wrote: »

this is exactly what the majority of my problem is. stress= overeating & smoking. Makes sense that an overall feeling of well being would reduce the use of both of these things. I had a BAD experience with Prozac years ago so I'm really hoping this doesn't affect me the same way. I was a groggy zombie the whole 2 months i took that crap!

See?? And Prozac has done wonders for me. I have had bad experiences on numerous other drugs-and yet have a friend who is doing fabulous on one that made me crazy!

Are you quitting smoking and dieting at the same time?? That's tough. I quit smoking years ago and got very active. That helped me a lot.
  • moledew
    Options
    I think i have a death wish for myself! I just started going back to school, am a first time mommy with an 8 month old, am trying to lose weight, quit smoking and buy a house all at once. Who the hell does that!? I'm trying to just take it one step at a time and right now smoking is at the top of my list since i feel like thats probably the worst of all my evil indulgences. I reset my goals to only -.5/lbs per week so that its not overwhelming but still progress while i have all these other things going on.
  • slaite1
    Options
    Lol. Who wouldn't need medication?!?!?!
  • moledew
    Options
    Lol. Who wouldn't need medication?!?!?!

haha exactly!
  • CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm on wellbutrin, 150mg BID, and have been for about 4 or 5 years. I was prescribed it for depression and it really has completely saved me from that. I did notice that it helped control my appetite a tiny bit when I first went on, but nothing major and nothing long term. I've also read about people completely forgetting to eat while on it...but I think it can increase risks of mania among people who are bi-polar and mistakenly diagnosed with depression and prescribed this drug, so I think that might sometimes be the cause...From what I've read, the appetite suppression is generally short term and any weight loss is small and also short term. But it's also prescribed to combat binges... I've definitely had my fair share of binges on this drug though so I don't think it's foolproof. I could see it helping because if you binge because you're depressed, and it helps the depression, binges will reduce.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I remember about 15 years ago, I took one of my boyfriend's pills. He was using it for smoking, so I thought I would take one and see what it did (I know, not so smart) . Well, I took it the night before and when I woke up in the morning, it was like someone put rockets on my butt. I ended up stripping the wallpaper off the walls in my bedroom and repainting everything (bedroom and master bath) and then putting it all back together. I got it done in a single day. At midnight, I finally flopped down on the bed. I didn't smoke that day either.

I didn't take another one. LOL
  • hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I was on Wellbutrin for years and never noticed any major shifts in weight, loss or gain. I was on it mainly for depression, and when I finally stopped, I didn't notice a huge change in weight either. That being said, if it can help control anxiety and therefore lesson the frequency of binges, etc., you might notice a difference. It's so hard to have to choose between placing priority on mental or physical health (not that I think it would be bad for you, physically, just that you're having to focus on a lot of different factors right now). Good luck, and good for you for taking steps to care for yourself!
  • lizerdbeth
    lizerdbeth Posts: 114 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've been on wellbutrin for about six months, and I've found it's a lot easier to control my eating habits. I don't think it's fuelled any weight loss beyond me not wanting to eat everything in sight when I'm stressed and anxious, but I also haven't gained anything either which is what I've experienced with other antidepressants.
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    theres now a combo drug for weight loss that is a combination of wellbutrin/ bupropion and naltrexone called contrave.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin is considered more of an "upper" antidepressant in comparison with Prozac/Zoloft etc.

I much prefer it over the other two. I'd say I only lost maybe 3 lbs.
  • alice_schmalice
    alice_schmalice Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It helps curb my emotional eating that is part of my depression. If I go off of it for a time (bad idea!) I start eating too much again. Overall without using MFP I might lose 5 lbs, but my poor eating habits can quickly wipe that out.
  • Nebrie
    Nebrie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm on this medication; I'm on 150mg QD. I don't have depression. I do not smoke. I'm taking it for the side effects to help control anxiety. Frankly, it's working so-so in that department. I decided to stay on the medication as a preventative. About a month (3/15/15) into taking this medication my husband of 15 years decided he didn't want to be married anymore, didn't want to continue couples therapy, get my stuff and get out. He was done without so much of a what the hell. So, I'm still on it for the preemptive strike against depression even though I don't have depression. I'll reevaluate in a few more months after I have my mind back together from the reeling life change my Ex forced on me. Okay, therapeutic brain dump over....what was the question?

Oh yes. Appetite suppression. Didn't notice any. Scale certainly didn't show any movement.