Transition to Clean Eating with a family involved

Options
I would like to experience the benefits of clean eating. I have gone back and forth on this, simply because of the convenience of packaged meals at times. I am looking for any advice on the transition. This transition will include my family at home as well. How do I get them to do this with me, to help me, encourage me. I am concerned as I don’t see them being as on board with this. Especially the kids.
Looking for a little guidance on someone who’s been there, someone that can help me finally stick to my goals regarding this and being happier and healthier.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Tosca Reno has a good family focused clean eating cook book. Paleo family cook books might be a good place to look for ideas.

I think as long as you are committed to doing more food prep, and relying less on pre- packaged foods, you'll do fine. I find if the food is ready to eat, my kids will often eat it.

Best wishes
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Well, given that Clean Eating is a term that means something different to everyone, you probably need to detail more about what your goals are for your family during this transition - what you consider clean and what you are trying to exclude or minimize, and then people may be able to give you specific advice.

For my family, we rely heavily on convenience foods so rather than trying to exclude those, I prefer to try to add more whole foods where I can, without having to feel like we are bound by eating a certain way.

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    speaking from experience, you don't want to make judgments about their food to them, obsess, and be so rigid that it affects your life and your family's life.

Accept that your family may not fully embrace your decision, accept that others may eat food that "disgusts" you, and make sure you're not judging those around you by your action or your words.

The "change" for others will be more likely to be embraced if it's gradual (for them) as well.

Really "clean eating" doesn't have to be such a huge shock or transitions, there are "typical" foods and meals one can make that don't have to have the stigma of being "healthy" to the point of non-tasty. Have "good choices" around without being that person who "cleans out" the "unclean" food in the house.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I would like to experience the benefits of clean eating. I have gone back and forth on this, simply because of the convenience of packaged meals at times. I am looking for any advice on the transition. This transition will include my family at home as well. How do I get them to do this with me, to help me, encourage me. I am concerned as I don’t see them being as on board with this. Especially the kids.
    Looking for a little guidance on someone who’s been there, someone that can help me finally stick to my goals regarding this and being happier and healthier.

Sounds like a sensible goal.

I suppose with your children you have control over the meals you prepare for them, regards food they are getting outside of your control, I would suggest not stressing too much over that and accept that they will get less healthy treats elsewhere from possibly grandparents or when around their friends houses.

There are plenty of good recipe books out there and for sensible advise from other MFP members I would suggest bailing out of this thread early and checking out one of the clean eating groups.

Good luck.