Should I be concerned about my weight?

Options
Hey everyone,
I'm Nick. New here. Before I enter any weight loss goals or anything, I wanted to know if it's even necessary for me to lose any weight or if I should just try to maintain. I am 5'10" 180 lbs with a 39-40 in waist. Not pants-size but actual waist measurement. My pants are a 34. I have a little tummy but I'm not so concerned about getting ripped as long as I'm healthy :)
Thanks all!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

You're on the high end. I'd like to hear what others have to say about your waist measurement though. It might be wise to try to reduce a little.
  • shubhashish72
    shubhashish72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's borderline
  • steebsthegreat
    steebsthegreat Posts: 70 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I would say if you plan to lose any, don't plan for too much. My fiancé is 5'10" and when he gets under 160 he ends up looking sickly thin.
    And BMI is the worst way to figure out if you're overweight. Look into percent body fat before taking BMI into consideration.
  • neeks325
    neeks325 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Haha well my girl told me I was gaining a little weight and that i should tone up a little, jokingly. I was about 160 before and was pretty thin. So we made a bet. I told her I don't think I'm technically out of shape, or more than what I should be and she thinks I am lol
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly that weight and height but with a smaller waist. I do strength training and running as I come down from 248lbs. I have set my goal weight at 160 so when i switch to maintenence it will give me a little room for a bump to 165 my true goal.

I looked it up and the BMI table says that our ideal weight is 161lbs. Regardless of what any table or any other person says it's you that must decide your goal weight. You will have people say you look too thin. People are use to seeing you heavy so for the first little while they will think your too thin.

I know that right now at 180 I feel really good compared to when I was 248. When i get to my goal i know i will feel awesome. No body can pick your goal for you better then you and how you feel about yourself.

Good Luck
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    neeks325 wrote: »
    Haha well my girl told me I was gaining a little weight and that i should tone up a little, jokingly. I was about 160 before and was pretty thin. So we made a bet. I told her I don't think I'm technically out of shape, or more than what I should be and she thinks I am lol

Well you can certainly be out of shape without being overweight. They don't necessarily go hand in hand.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I don't think it'd be a bad idea to lose a few pounds (I mean that in a polite way!)!
    You aren't overweight but you it's always good stay on top of it and give yourself a bit more room for error, so to speak! :]
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I'm Nick. New here. Before I enter any weight loss goals or anything, I wanted to know if it's even necessary for me to lose any weight or if I should just try to maintain. I am 5'10" 180 lbs with a 39-40 in waist. Not pants-size but actual waist measurement. My pants are a 34. I have a little tummy but I'm not so concerned about getting ripped as long as I'm healthy :)
    Thanks all!

I'd be concerned with the waist size.

Waist size and risk of health problems

You have a higher risk of health problems if your waist size is:

more than 94cm (37 inches) if you're a man
    more than 80cm (31.5 inches) if you're a woman

Your risk of health problems is even higher if your waist size is:

more than 102cm (40 inches) if you're a man
    more than 88cm (34.5 inches) if you're a woman

From this article:
    http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/849.aspx?CategoryID=51
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    180 lbs of WHAT? Shoot for 15 percent bodyfat and you'll be good.
  • GetThatRunnersHigh
    Options
    BMI is a good baseline for the general population but it's not the best way to determine individual health. Your waist measurement should be less than half your height.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18359190

A large abdomen usually means higher than average visceral fat, probably the worst type of fat.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/gim/core_resources/Patient Handouts/Handouts_May_2012/The Skinny on Visceral Fat.pdf

I'd recommend focusing on body composition instead of weight :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    Thanks all!

Bottom line - are you happy with yourself? Are you meeting or exceeding your physical goals, aesthetics, body composition, etc?

Don't rely on BMI - these are derived from gross population studies.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What do YOU think?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    but wait, didn't you just describe the "dad bod" ?
  • Stacescotty
    Stacescotty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Waist to height ratio is a good system for avoiding health problems related to visceral fat. Neither gender should have a waist width exceeding 50% of their height. At 70inches tall you should be working to get down to at least a 35" waist.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    but wait, didn't you just describe the "dad bod" ?

Yep, not a good look and not real health.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    A 40" waist in men is associated with poor health, diabetes and heart disease being two of the big ones. So, personally I'd be concerned.

I'm 5'10.75" (I like to round up to 5'11" normally) and weigh 192lb (overweight by BMI) and have a ~35.5" waist in 32" pants. It sounds like you have a lot of visceral fat and should work on losing it.

While I knew that having a +40" waist was bad, I was healthy for years with it (I'm on no meds and have no known problems), and felt perfectly fine, it was the risk factor that constantly made me want to lose weight. It actually took my wife starting to jog to really kickstart my fitness journey.