Are there days you just don't have it while lifting?

Options
Was just not feeling it this morning. I've been doing a "modified" 5x5 for awhile now. Basically just a laddered sets up to a max 5x5 on my last one. This morning I started with my squats and did 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5, but then when I went to do 305x5 I could only get 2 reps and just felt weak. Same kind of thing happened when I went to do my bench. 135x5, 155x5, 185x5, 205x5 and then 220x2 and ended up having to do the roll of shame as I couldn't even get the 3rd rep up to the bottom rack position. I don't think it was not taking enough recovery time (3 min on both between the last completed and the one that I failed) and I didn't really do anything different with my diet. I guess I just haven't experienced it yet where the strength that was there last workout wasn't there this workout, without drastically dropping my calories or something like that where I could pin down the reason for it. Last Friday I was able to do 225x5 and 245x2.

Does this regularly happen to anyone else? Is this just a sign that I'm finally moving out of beginner status?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    This will happen every now and then. There have been days where I've gone into the gym and only done about a third of my workout and left because what I had done so far was garbage and there was no use in continuing. You just need to come back the next day and get it done. No harm done
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Yeah that happens. Sometimes you struggle with weight that you managed last session, then next time you breeze through it.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    This will happen every now and then. There have been days where I've gone into the gym and only done about a third of my workout and left because what I had done so far was garbage and there was no use in continuing. You just need to come back the next day and get it done. No harm done

Yeah, I was supposed to do rows as well, but after failing at the other two I just said forget it.
  • tank1539
    tank1539 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had the same type of day today. Bench suffered the most. I dropped another 450 cals off my intake yesterday though. Also went to sleep late so caused me to get into the gym 2 hrs late. I've just learned to except that the bad days exist. There's too many variables
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Yep. All kinds of things can cause it too.
    There have been days I'm energized and have had poor performance and days I had to drag myself into the gym and, lo and behold, hit pr's.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Yes that happens to me. Sometimes it is a signal I need a day off, sometimes it is just a bad day. Usually it is only one day and then I am fine :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yes- it happens.

I lift anyway- for about the same time frame as I would normally run. If I'm dragging so much *kitten* it takes me an hour and a half to do half what I would normally do in that time frame I'll leave. But usually I'll grind it out as much as I can. Success is showing up even when it sucks. For any reason.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    It happens to all lifters. Some sessions are +10 some are -10. You just gotta check the box and put in the work regardless. I had a crappy squat sesssion this week, but came back 2 days later and PR'd bench in a cut.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Lift for long enough and you will experience a lot of peaks and valleys. You get used to it and just move on. I've been going through a valley of my own recently. Rather than grinding with weight I can't do, I just drop the weight. Strength doesn't just disappear. Sometimes there are external factors that will affect it like stress.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yep - those days happen. Sometimes it's best to just pack your bag up and come back the next day. If you are not feeling it you may be more likely to push for a result and get an injury.

I do the 5 x 5 and yesterday I got PB's on the Squats and Dead lift, but for the life of me couldn't even manage a full set on the Over Head Press and I was only increasing the weight by 5Lb
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    happened today, though it was my first day back in the gym after a 10 day absence. I just did a lighter weight day and got through my sets. I'll kick it back up tomorrow.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Are there days you just don't have it while lifting?

of course
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    it's like anything in life...you have good days and bad days.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    At least once a week. If all of your lifting days are good ones, you are probably mailing in your workout. You SHOULD have some bad days.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Not regularly but they happen. Usually tied to a higher stress level or not eating enough the few days prior.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yep. Especially in a deficit. I can have some really rough days. I'm doing SL too and last week I couldn't get into the gym until 8 pm. I didn't even MAKE it to my dead lifts. Two lifts was all I could do? I wasn't ashamed though because I was so tempted to skip and still made it in.
  • jfitnessguru
    jfitnessguru Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We all go through our share of rough days in the gym. I've had my share recently but i still will give it 100 percent. I always remind myself that i will never get these training sessions back if i quit mid way during the workout or decide not to show up at all. Reminding myself of that helps me dig deeper when I'm feeling like pure *kitten*.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    That was me on Wednesday. I still did the whole routine I just didn't get as many reps each set as I would have liked. I didn't see a reason to quit, though. A bad workout is still a workout and better than not doing it at all.

I have running days like that, too. 30 seconds in and I already feel like I've run 6 miles...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    At least once a week. If all of your lifting days are good ones, you are probably mailing in your workout. You SHOULD have some bad days.

nods nods nods
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,613 Member
    Options
    Preach it, my brothers and sisters of iron...