who is on meds that cause weight gain? help?

Options
Anyone who has a hard time losing due to meds?

Replies

• drywall_painter
    drywall_painter Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I was on meloxicam and gained 12 lbs in a few weeks, off them now.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can get off of them? Or ask your doc about another type of medicine?

Are you working out while on the medication? Is the medication causing you to eat more?
  • s_shortridge
    s_shortridge Posts: 28 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Metaformin for diabetes can cause weight gain. It did for my husband and my hubs doc confirmed it can do this. For us, hubs took himself off the meds AMA, because his type-2 goes away with weight loss. In 3 weeks, he lost 23 lbs and his blood sugar is now reading normal about all the time. Granted we ovehauled our diets: no potatoes, no rice, no grains, no refined sugars, but IMO, it is worth this vigilance to come of a medicine that was messing with his kidneys, urinary tract, and weight.

• the_log_lady
    the_log_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have a mood disorder and I'm on two that can cause weight gain. One hasn't appreciably (I've been on for 3 years now), and one is correlated with a 14kg gain over 6 months (started taking it 6 months ago). However, 95% of that gain would have happened anyway due to how much I was eating and how much I stopped weighing myself. In other words, the meds certainly are a huge part of it, as emotions/eating are messed up for me - working on that!- but aren't an excuse for me. The general advice is a) don't stop taking meds without medical supervision b) ask your doctor if your brands can be switched c) increase exercise/reduce the usual suspects foods to compensate for gain. Sucks to have the double whammy I know.