Eating before and after gym in the morning

Options
big_striker
big_striker Posts: 15 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Apologies if this has been covered before. I have decided to get my workouts done in the morning from now on before work so I will be hitting the gym around 6am. What do you suggest or what do you do when it comes to eating?

I am planning on a protein shake before then a proton shake after with a bagel and peanut butter or tuna. I am hoping for enough to last me until lunchtime which is 12:30/1pm.

I am more interested in post workout food to stop me getting hungry mid morning

Replies

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You must be trying to gain...

2 protein shakes 300 calories. Can of tuna 160 cal. Pb 180 cal. Bagel what 120 cal...

700 calorie breakfast.. what do you eat for lunch
  • FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Sorry about 600 calories...
  • big_striker
    Options

2 protein shakes 300 calories. Can of tuna 160 cal. Pb 180 cal. Bagel what 120 cal...

Working on getting lean! I have a lighter dinner as I need my energy during the day. I currently have chicken and mixed vegetables for lunch. Then in the evens it's usually a nutribullet shake and more lean meat or fish.

My target is 2000 calories a day and normally stay within this no problems. I eat smaller meals regularly to stop me getting hungry
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I do 2 scoops of Combat protein in water before swimming 4 miles in the morning. Then when I get to work I have 3 eggs (hard boiled) with a tbs of coconut oil and 3 fresh dragon cayenne peppers blended in. All whipped up in a mini ninja.
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I split up my breakfast when I go to crossfit in the morning. I have a half or whole banana before my 530am class then a protein shake with the rest of the banana and some spinach mixed in and then I will eat something else around 10-11am to get me through to lunch. Usually fruit and yogurt or an egg sandwhich.

I need to eat more during the day when I workout before work and do a lighter dinner on these days. It definitely takes some playing around with to figure out what works best ! I am usually around 500 calories b/t all of my morning eats
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that it's carbs prior, protein after. My healthy smoothie has both, so I drink half on the way to the gym, half on the way to work, and breakfast is done! For my smoothie, I use plain ff yogurt, seeds (sesame, chia, flax), leafy greens, berries, half a banana, and water.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I workout in a fasted state (nothing before because every time I try otherwise I always donate it back sometime during the workout). I will have 2-3 scoops of protein in water/almond milk as soon as I get home from the gym and then after I have cleaned up email, showered and gotten my daughter on the move, I will have breakfast - eggs/meat (sausage/bacon)/fruit before taking the daughter to school and myself to work. Usually adds up to between 400 and 500 calories for breakfast which is less than a third of what I am eating for the day and keeps me full/sated until lunch roll around. Oh, and this all starts at 5 am.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I also work out at 6 am and really can't eat that early. My trainer told me to eat protein/carb snack before bed, and that works fine, and then I eat a protein/carb/fat breakfast afterwards. I am eating for weight loss, so I might have a protein crepe at night w/protein powder, oatmeal, egg whites, and almond milk, drizzled w/ almond butter; breakfast after workout might be scrambled eggs with (I use egg whites to have more calories for other things), broccoli, 2 slice bacon in the scrambled eggs. When I do cross fit or weight lifting I can feel my metabolism rev up and my morning snack after breakfast also is usually protein/carb/fat (like protein powder, oatmeal, almond milk, or sweet potato and cottage cheese or whatever.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

Bagels are more in the 250-300 cal range, making for a 700-800 calorie breakfast!

OP, what are you stats? How many calories does MFP have you eating a day?
  • big_striker
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

Bagels are more in the 250-300 cal range, making for a 700-800 calorie breakfast!

2000 calories.

More concerned with what I eat after working out so I can make it to lunch without too much bother as I normally workout in the evening before dinner. I think a protein shake after plus a bagel with a little peanut butter will be enough.

Some very good suggestions here and will try a few of the things you guys do to see what works best!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I swim--sometimes early in the morning--and I have to be very careful about eating before I swim or it makes me sick. A handful of almonds or a small piece of toast with some peanut butter is about all I can handle. But I pack something more substantial for when I get out of the pool.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I also swim and always have an energy bar that I make. It has peanut butter, oats, almonds, honey, prunes and coconut, under 150 calories. Afterwards I'll have either another or a banana.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

I'm on a 1900 calorie day and on training days my breakfast is in the 600-800 calorie range. I find I deal better with hunger when I have a big breakfast. Lunch and dinner are 400-500 calories. Everyone is different :)

OP, consider oatmeal, yogurt and cottage cheese, both are pretty filling (for me). Tuna is great, as are eggs (hard boiled or cooked in a muffin pan with bacon... mmm). http://www.food.com/recipe/bacon-and-egg-cups-116152

Protein shakes depend on the person, some find them filling, for others they get hungry again within an hour. Maybe if that the case for you, you should consider more solid foods.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Apologies if this has been covered before. I have decided to get my workouts done in the morning from now on before work so I will be hitting the gym around 6am. What do you suggest or what do you do when it comes to eating?

I am planning on a protein shake before then a proton shake after with a bagel and peanut butter or tuna. I am hoping for enough to last me until lunchtime which is 12:30/1pm.

I am more interested in post workout food to stop me getting hungry mid morning

You definitely don't need a protein shake before and after. The bigger thing is getting some protein either 2 hours before or after. And some more recent research would suggest your total day is more important than the timing.

If you like bagels (and want protein just to be sure) check out a company called P28. They make protein infused bagels. I tend to eat one of those with peanut butter daily. If you did that, and am still hungry, a protein shake can be added on top of that.

I guess the question also is, what are your stats and goals? It's possible that 2000 calories isn't enough, but it's hard to say without knowing that info. But as a point of reference, I am a 33 year old, 5'11, 185 lbs, male and lift 4-5 days and do HIIT 1-2 days (totaling about 5-6 hours a week) with a desk job and I lose at 2300-2500 calories and sustain at 3000.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you, but if you have a shake because it's supposed to be good for you after a workout, unless you're a bodybuilder or an athlete, it really doesn't matter.

I'd replace one of the shakes with real food though.
  • jan3t85
    jan3t85 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Unless you're doing cardio, I would suggest eating fruit or some sort of carb to give your workouts a boost. I personally fast in the morning then have a good breakfast after my workout. And by good I mean protein pancakes uncured bacon almond butter, on a good day a side of fresh from egg :smile: and of course coffee :smiley:
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. This is truly a matter of personal preference as it relates to your performance when you are working out. Protein shakes pre or post workout are not necessary. At what time protein, carbs, or fat are eaten pre or post is a matter of personal preference. There is no "rule" on when you must eat. Hit your macros on a daily basis and eat in a way that best fits your schedule and helps you achieve optimal performance when working out. Meal timing is highly overstated.
  • big_striker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Some solid advice and good tips here which I will definitely try out. I did some research online and have decided to up my calories to around 2500 and will be starting the 'All Pro' workout.

I worked out yesterday morning in the gym on an empty stomach and had a protein shake with a bagel and some peanut butter and felt great up until lunch! I actually felt good if my better working out while fasted.

My main concern was not getting enough food after a workout and flagging until lunch. I have to eat whatever it is in my car so the shakes/bagels work. I prepared oats last night for breakfast today which was great and very easy to eat on the go.

Thanks again everyone!
  • Int3rceptor
    Int3rceptor Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you decide to work out fasted then a BCAA supplement may help keep you energised and reduce fatigue.
    The added benefit is that it can also help protect your muscles from being used as an energy source.

• big_striker
    Options
    If you decide to work out fasted then a BCAA supplement may help keep you energised and reduce fatigue.
    The added benefit is that it can also help protect your muscles from being used as an energy source.

Yea forgot to mention this, took advantage of one of myproteins regular offers and got some. Pretty good!