Coming out of starvation mode. Help!

I been on a very low calorie diet, and I manage to lose a lot of weight by eating 300-800 calories a day and a hour of exercise. I finally reached my goal weight but I shouldn't be eating so low. I been in starvation mode for a bit and I need to get out. So I decide to slowly add my calories back in but continue to exercise and I put on 4 pounds under a week. :(. Is this temporarily? Water weight? I'm terrified of gaining weight and I don't want to go back to my old weight. I was quite happy with reaching my goal weight and wanted to keep it there. I continued to eat the daily calorie intake for a woman and exercise but I want my weight goal back. How long does this last? Will it go back down? Will I lose these pounds I gained? Plz help, I don't want to go on a crash diet again, it's not healthy and I want to be healthy but keep my weight. Thank u

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    You need to talk to a professional about your eating disorder. Good luck.
  • What are your maintenence calories? If you are at your goal weight, you should be eating at your maintenance.

If I'm not mistaken you will put on some initial weight, but it's jut water and should come off when your body gets used to it
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    That weight loss plan is so disordered. Do not crash diet again, always eat at least 1200 calories a day. That said, you most likely did not gain 4 pounds of fat in less than a week. Eating at such a large deficit you were probably dehydrated and your body is just trying to recover.
  • I am starting by eating again 1200. So this weight is temporarily? If it is how long does it usually take? It's been a week now. (Staying off the scale for awhile)
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Seconding this.
  • What are your stats? Weight? Height? How many days a week do you exercise?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    I am starting by eating again 1200. So this weight is temporarily? If it is how long does it usually take? It's been a week now. (Staying off the scale for awhile)

It's temporary, give it a couple of weeks. You need to make sure that you don't do this to your body again, it's very dangerous.
  • daniwilford
    I am starting by eating again 1200. So this weight is temporarily? If it is how long does it usually take? It's been a week now. (Staying off the scale for awhile)

Unless you are very short, 1200 calories is not maintenance. The more you write the more I am convinced you have an eating disorder. You probably need that 4 pounds of water. If you continue to restrict, you are putting your health at risk. How tall are you and what is your current weight?
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    edited October 2015
    There is no such thing. Unless someone was dying, and even then they would still lose weight, the body can't magic calories out of thing air.
    If you actually gained fat, you were in a calorie surplus. It might just be normal fluctuation from water and waste. A calorie deficit will get you back down to your goal weight if it was fat. There is no need to crash diet, you can choose a modest deficit.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

This
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I agree that this was not a good idea. Eating that low was not the best way to go about weight loss.
    You stated that your currently eating 1200. What are your stats?

And yes, that weight gain you saw on the scale is temporary. Stay off the scale for a while. Eat more then 1200 per day. Don't ever ever ever eat 300-800 cals per day again. It's not worth the risk
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Please consult a professional
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    You're not going to have fat gain eating at maintenance, which I'm pretty sure is not 1200 calories.

Please post your stats. Height, weight, age
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    This is what happens when you eat extremely low calories. Once you start eating your going to retain water and start gaining weight. Been there done that. Your not getting all the nutrients your body needs so it will hang on to everything you eat. Seek a therapist to help with your return to normal eating. You will need it.
  • I'm 5'2, I'm not sure about my weight now by I was 107 and was happy (I don't look anorexic or anything) and I'm 19. I'm slowly adding up and I hope by next week this water weight will b gone. Never crash dieting again. Just want to eat more, stay the same weight, and b health is all.
  • daniwilford
    I'm 5'2, I'm not sure about my weight now by I was 107 and was happy (I don't look anorexic or anything) and I'm 19. I'm slowly adding up and I hope by next week this water weight will b gone. Never crash dieting again. Just want to eat more, stay the same weight, and b health is all.

If you were anorexic, you wouldn't think you looked it either, that is one of the symptoms. At 111 pounds you are still on the low end of normal for your height and age. If you are concerned with appearance, have you tried strength training? Most people like their appearance at a higher weight when more of it is muscle.
  • You should be eating at around the 1650 mark to maintain your weight
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    The restoration of the calories must be done VERY slowly.