Help Please Rhabdo

Options
Hey there I worked out for 1 intend hour on Tuesday evening legs only. I have not worked out in the gym for about 1 year. The next day Wednesday I had the worst quad cramps ever so debilitating I would collapse in agony. And could not walk. Went to the ER and got admitted with Rhabdo. My numbers were at 13,000 on day 1 and day 2 spiked up to 14,000 now I am stuck and wondering how much longer I will be stuck in this hospital. Its day 4 now and still nothing. If anyone has had this please share me your story

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have never heard of rhabdo. I suggest asking your doctor at the hospital.

ETA: Just read this. Dang, that sounds terrible. I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

http://crossfitimpulse.com/rhabdo-and-crossfit/
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'm glad you went to the E.R. Get better soon!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Pretty serious. When people say one can't over train, they've probably never heard or experienced this. Not that it's common, but people who train super intense can have it happen especially if training fasted. Others that get it from a sports perspective are endurance athletes (IRONMAN competitors) if their nutrition is off during the competition.
    It can also be hereditary, so check for that. Be aware of your intensity and duration times when you exercise.
    Remember, stimulate don't annihilate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Best to be asking your docs there. They usually try to flush that out with some high rate IV fluids, but it can take some time. Can be very damaging to your kidneys, so I suggest sticking around for as long as they think you should. Hope you are well on the way to recovery.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Do you mean an INTENSE hour?

Are you talking about rhabdomyolysis? It's really rare and often has more complex causes then just overexertion. It's really hard to do that to yourself in an hour.

Stay well hydrated, take care of any underlying issues that you have (diabetes?) and follow your doctors' instructions. If your physicians are not telling you what caused this or how to prevent it, you need to start asking questions.

• lalainap19
    lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Are you talking about rhabdomyolysis? It's really rare and often has more complex causes then just overexertion. It's really hard to do that to yourself in an hour.

Stay well hydrated, take care of any underlying issues that you have (diabetes?) and follow your doctors' instructions. If your physicians are not telling you what caused this or how to prevent it, you need to start asking questions.

Thanks for the reply I have not worked out in over a year this was my first time and we did 1 hour of strictly legs.
  • lalainap19
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Wow. I'm glad you went to the E.R. Get better soon!

Thank you so much
  • lalainap19
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I have never heard of rhabdo. I suggest asking your doctor at the hospital.

ETA: Just read this. Dang, that sounds terrible. I'm sorry you're having to go through this.

http://crossfitimpulse.com/rhabdo-and-crossfit/

Yeah its pretty horrible the pain for me was worse than child birth.

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

Yes, it can happen in only one hour of over exertion if the person had not been working out for a long time. The OP had been out of the gym for one year. It looks like she is still in the hospital, so they must be flushing her kidneys with heavy IV fluid.

This is a time when "detox" sounds appropriate.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Whew-so sorry that happened to you. Hope you are well soon.
  • lalainap19
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

Yes, it can happen in only one hour of over exertion if the person had not been working out for a long time. The OP had been out of the gym for one year. It looks like she is still in the hospital, so they must be flushing her kidneys with heavy IV fluid.

Yes I'm still here my cpk numbers are at 25,000 still so I'm not sure how low they have to be for me to get released I'm on iv saline fluids 1 bag an hour and pain meds for the cramps I'm just wondering how long it will take to get back to my old self and be able to do light activities.
  • lalainap19
    Options
    Nanogg55 wrote: »
    Whew-so sorry that happened to you. Hope you are well soon.

Thanks me too!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    lalainap19 wrote: »

Yes I'm still here my cpk numbers are at 25,000 still so I'm not sure how low they have to be for me to get released I'm on iv saline fluids 1 bag an hour and pain meds for the cramps I'm just wondering how long it will take to get back to my old self and be able to do light activities.

Ask your nurse or doctor these questions, we aren't there and have a tiny slice of the overall picture. If your numbers are still climbing it's possible you could go into (or are in) acute kidney injury. I would settle in for now. I don't think release and normal activity is close in your future (I work in sicu and while we don't get rhabdo generally but we do see it in our trauma patients occasionally).
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply I have not worked out in over a year this was my first time and we did 1 hour of strictly legs.

"We"? Did a trainer encourage this, or just a friend?
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    No advice, just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

Take care of yourself and have a speedy and total recovery. Very sorry that you had to go thru this awful painful and serious experience.
  • lalainap19
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

"We"? Did a trainer encourage this, or just a friend?

It was a friend she is used to working out. I guess she thought I was in better shape than I was but I should have listened to my body. Luckily I'm home now still sore and get a few cramps but I'm blessed to have no kidney issues and I've learned a valuable lesson that humbled me I will never take my health for granted again.
  • lalainap19
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    No advice, just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery.

Appreciate it :-)
  • lalainap19
    Options

Take care of yourself and have a speedy and total recovery. Very sorry that you had to go thru this awful painful and serious experience.

Thank u the support means a lot.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what did the doctor advise you to do/not to do as far as exercise/activity at this point? Is it strictly "no exercise for X time period" or "play it by ear" or what? Again, I'm sorry this happened to you. It sounds very scary.