Question about yogurt and yeast infection?

Options
I have a vaginal yeast infection. It's been going on for a while and causing itching, soreness, and I'm unable to hold my bladder. A UTI has been ruled out. It's a yeast infection. I thought about how yogurt is usually recommended for yeast infections and I was wondering if this would work to get rid of it? I'm talking about eating it, not applying it topically. I thought maybe if I eat it every day it would clear up. I know there's other treatments available but if yogurt would work I would rather just use that.

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Consult your physician. Not strangers on the internet. It could also be a bacterial infection(requires antibiotics) or a parasite(requires antibiotics) that both mimic the signs of a yeast infection.

That being said, I had a bout of bacterial vaginosis and while having it treated my doctor recommended I eat yogurt to keep things in balance. I have no knowledge of whether yogurt will help 'cure' a yeast infection but I do know it has helped keep ME balanced and comfortable.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No, it will not work.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Did your Doctor not offer advice? They normally tell you to eat less sugar for a while and to not wash internally as it disturbs the bodies natural flora.
    Increasing natural bacteria is anecdotally linked but not proven as far as I'm aware, so it won't harm for you to eat live yoghurt but it may or may help.
    They normally give you a pessary that can have this sorted out within days.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Just go to the pharmacy and get some Monistat or something similar.

In future take a regular probiotic, try to control sugar intake, and add lemon to your water or food.

But first treat the infection you have.
  • Expatmommy79
    Options
    Also when you are on antibiotics double your probiotic. Antibiotics are the devil for yeast infections.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I have a vaginal yeast infection. It's been going on for a while and causing itching, soreness, and I'm unable to hold my bladder. A UTI has been ruled out. It's a yeast infection. I thought about how yogurt is usually recommended for yeast infections and I was wondering if this would work to get rid of it? I'm talking about eating it, not applying it topically. I thought maybe if I eat it every day it would clear up. I know there's other treatments available but if yogurt would work I would rather just use that.

Topical application helps massively with the symptoms
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just get antibiotics?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just get antibiotics?
    Because antibiotics are sometimes the cause of yeast infections. You probably mean an anti fungal, like the fluconazole that her doctor prescribed.

Yoghurt is great for gut flora, I often recommend it. It will do nothing for a full blown yeast infection. Take the prescribed medication.
  • Expatmommy79
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Really? I would be worried that would create a moist environment making it grow, I guess not. Do you put it in a tampon or just apply it on the outer opening?

The Creme is for outside to relieve itching. The ones with an applicator are like little pills you insert with the applicator that comes with it.

Just go to the pharmacy. There are so many options. 1 day, 3 day, 5 day and 7 day treatments. Ask the pharmacist. Get one with internal applicator and outside Creme. You will be fine in a day or two.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    There are no medications without side effects.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/997.aspx?categoryid=73&subcategoryid=108

This explains what the terms mean. Unless it is a 'very common' side effect you are worried about you are highly unlikely to get it.

Take your prescription. If it doesn't work, go back to the doctor's.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Really? I would be worried that would create a moist environment making it grow, I guess not. Do you put it in a tampon or just apply it on the outer opening?

Live yogurt on a tampon
    and also on itchy skin around the labia
    plus sanitary towel

it does help although that's an anecdotal report, but women have been using it for centuries .. I haven't seen any double blind peer reviewed support for it though
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I can't believe your doctor did not prescribe an anti-fungal. It takes one dose of this and would get ride of it starting in 24 hours.

You need to fire your doctor immediately if he sent you home with nothing.

Get to the pharmacy and talk to them. They will point you to the over counter stuff.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited January 2016
    Options

"the anti-fungal therapy produced a significantly higher definitive mycological cure rate"
    Take the anti-fungal.

Significant.
    Higher.
    Definitive.
    Cure Rate.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I can't believe your doctor did not prescribe an anti-fungal. It takes one dose of this and would get ride of it starting in 24 hours.

You need to fire your doctor immediately if he sent you home with nothing.

Get to the pharmacy and talk to them. They will point you to the over counter stuff.

The doctor prescribed an anti-fungal. (fluconazole)
    The op and others are looking at yogurt.

There is a disconnect somewhere.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You need an anti-fungal, either something prescribed by your doctor or an OTC product like Monistat. If I wanted the benefit of good bacteria for an acute problem I'd purchase a probiotic. It will have a zillion times more beneficial bacteria than any yogurt. You'd have to eat many, many cups of yogurt to get the same amount. I wouldn't rely on a probiotic alone.