Phentermine

I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Yep, very bad for your heart!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I'm sorry
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    This is really sad OP. I hope you've at least changed one person's mind from wanting to go on this drug.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 727 Member
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm so sorry that this has occurred for you but your courage in coming forth and sharing so honestly may help others make a much more informed decision before they start taking this drug.

I wish you all the best.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    I am currently taking Phentermine, though I really didn't like the idea. The reason I accepted it is because my doctor suggested it. I didn't go to a weightloss clinic. We don't have genetic heart anomalies in my family, and this should be very temporary.
  • itschanelle
    itschanelle Posts: 86 Member
    I am currently taking Phentermine, though I really didn't like the idea. The reason I accepted it is because my doctor suggested it. I didn't go to a weightloss clinic. We don't have genetic heart anomalies in my family, and this should be very temporary.

I thought the exact same thing.

However, Tricuspid Valve Regurgitation is not usually a genetic heart anomaly. You are referring to Epsteins Anomoly, which is a congential (ie, you're born with) a funky shaped Tricuspid valve. TV regurgitation alone is usually caused by rheumatic fever or by weight loss medications like Phentermine.

Luckily for you, what happened to me isn't that common. I certainly thought it wouldn't happen to me though. In retrospect, it absolutely wasn't worth the risk.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member

I thought the exact same thing.

However, Tricuspid Valve Regurgitation is not usually a genetic heart anomaly. You are referring to Epsteins Anomoly, which is a congential (ie, you're born with) a funky shaped Tricuspid valve. TV regurgitation alone is usually caused by rheumatic fever or by weight loss medications like Phentermine.

Luckily for you, what happened to me isn't that common. I certainly thought it wouldn't happen to me though. In retrospect, it absolutely wasn't worth the risk.

I did do my googling, and I felt that my doctor wouldn't have prescribed it to me if the pros didn't outweigh the cons. I really don't think I'd agree to another round, but I guess we'll have to see. Thanks for sharing your experience, everyone should make informed choices before agreeing to medication.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Sorry to hear about your health issues.
    It's worrisome that the doctor didn't understand that the fen/phen combination causes serious problems.
    (Or, as someone else has already said, you got it before the problems were understood.)

I've used phentermine, until it reset my hunger to (what my doctor tells me is) a normal level,
    and I got used to eating normal-sized portions.
    No problems of any kind.
    And if I could have simply used willpower to overcome the hunger, i would have done it long ago.

I don't know of many people who would tell someone suffering from constant pain that they should just
    think themselves pain-free, or suck it up & deal with the pain, because using tylenol or morphine means
    they're weak... but that's exactly what most people do when the discussion turns to appetite suppressants
    &/or antidepressants. Hunger is a type of pain. Depression causes all sorts of pains.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    I've always found it odd that I took phen-fen as a teenager back in the 90s, and when they banned it, no one ever told me or specified any kind of follow up I should ever do to see if I might get heart valve damage from it.

How did you find out about the triscupid valve regurgitation? Did you have symptoms, or was there a test ordered for it based on your being a phentermine user?
  • itschanelle
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your health issues.
    It's worrisome that the doctor didn't understand that the fen/phen combination causes serious problems.
    (Or, as someone else has already said, you got it before the problems were understood.)

I've used phentermine, until it reset my hunger to (what my doctor tells me is) a normal level,
    and I got used to eating normal-sized portions.
    No problems of any kind.
    And if I could have simply used willpower to overcome the hunger, i would have done it long ago.

I don't know of many people who would tell someone suffering from constant pain that they should just
    think themselves pain-free, or suck it up & deal with the pain, because using tylenol or morphine means
    they're weak... but that's exactly what most people do when the discussion turns to appetite suppressants
    &/or antidepressants. Hunger is a type of pain. Depression causes all sorts of pains.

To be clear (again), I took Phentermine alone, not Fen-Phen.
  • itschanelle
    senecarr wrote: »
    I've always found it odd that I took phen-fen as a teenager back in the 90s, and when they banned it, no one ever told me or specified any kind of follow up I should ever do to see if I might get heart valve damage from it.

How did you find out about the triscupid valve regurgitation? Did you have symptoms, or was there a test ordered for it based on your being a phentermine user?

I had symptoms and saw a Cardiologist. I was (am) fatigued and had swelling in my limbs and abdomen. The kicker was I got Beau's lines on several of my fingernails, which are horizontal ridges. I asked a nurse about it and she recommended I go to a Cardiologist. The first thing he did after the echo came back is try to determine the cause of it because, like I said before, TV Regurgitation is always a result of something (the echo rules out congential reasons). After going through everything he determined Phentermine to be the cause. As with most people on this board, I was under the impression valve disease was not a side effect of Phentermine alone, but my Cardiologist said that's untrue.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    sure you got it from the drugs though? Im not saying that its not possible. I have mitral valve regurgitation and I never took any diet drugs,never had rheumatic or scarlet fever(dr said scarlet fever can cause it too).none of my family has this issue. so I have no clue where I got it from. I had the shortness of breath(thought it was my asthma( the swelling of of legs) but no beaus line. they did an ultrasound of my heart and found it. but the last two I had (since I started getting fit) shows that I have slim to no issue with my valve now. from what I understand it wont heal on its own but seems like mine has. but mine could have been from all the adrenaline shots I was given as a kid for my asthma(before they did nebulizer treatments in the E.R)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    found this article. it says these things CAN cause tvr and phentermine is on the list http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tricuspid-valve-regurgitation/symptoms-causes/dxc-20120490
  • itschanelle
    sure you got it from the drugs though? Im not saying that its not possible. I have mitral valve regurgitation and I never took any diet drugs,never had rheumatic or scarlet fever(dr said scarlet fever can cause it too).none of my family has this issue. so I have no clue where I got it from. I had the shortness of breath(thought it was my asthma( the swelling of of legs) but no beaus line. they did an ultrasound of my heart and found it. but the last two I had (since I started getting fit) shows that I have slim to no issue with my valve now. from what I understand it wont heal on its own but seems like mine has. but mine could have been from all the adrenaline shots I was given as a kid for my asthma(before they did nebulizer treatments in the E.R)

Mitral valve regurgitation and Tricuspid valve regurgitation are actually two very different things in that regard. Mitral valve regurgitation is really common and is usually congential, whereas TV regurgitation isn't. Phentermine would not be the cause of Mitral valve regurgitation. I can see how that would be a little confusing.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Itschanelle,

Thank you for posting about your experience with Phentermine. It is a deadly drug. The sad reality is that it does work. People will lose weight taking it. But they will be depressed, ill, unable to sleep, and miserable. And as your story points out, those of us are able to stop using it with out experiencing heart or renal failure are the lucky ones...
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Thank you for your post, it was very enlightening. All best wishes for you.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Phentermine got into trouble when combined with Fenfluramine causing potentially fatal pulmonary hypertension and heart valve problems. Phentermine was not shown to have harmful effects when taken alone.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Phentermine taken alone can still lead to heart issues among others:

Side Effects
    Dizziness, dry mouth, difficulty sleeping, irritability, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation may occur. If these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

This medication may raise your blood pressure. Check your blood pressure regularly and tell your doctor if the results are high.

Tell your doctor right away if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: fast/irregular/pounding heartbeat, mental/mood changes (e.g., agitation, uncontrolled anger, hallucinations, nervousness), uncontrolled muscle movements, change in sexual ability/interest.

Stop taking this medication and seek immediate medical attention if any of these rare but very serious side effects occur: severe headache, slurred speech, seizure, weakness on one side of the body, vision changes (e.g., blurred vision).

This drug may rarely cause serious (sometimes fatal) lung or heart problems (pulmonary hypertension, heart valve problems). The risk increases with longer use of this medication and use of this drug along with other appetite-suppressant drugs/herbal products. If you notice any of the following unlikely but very serious side effects, stop taking this medication and consult your doctor or pharmacist right away: chest pain, difficulty breathing with exercise, decreased ability to exercise, fainting, swelling of the legs/ankles/feet.

A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any of the following symptoms of a serious allergic reaction: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.