Need some Yoga suggestions please

Options
Ang_from_Colorado
Ang_from_Colorado Posts: 55 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I want to start doing yoga at home. What are some good videos to get or even good YouTube channels to follow for a good workout for a beginner?

Replies

• KristinaJeanPhD
    KristinaJeanPhD Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! Shiva Rea and Rodney Yee are the gold standards. I love Rodney Yee's Flow DVD, but it does kick your butt. I can give you more details with more info- are you looking to relax and de-stress, or are you looking for muscle-building kick butt yoga? :)
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I've really been enjoying FitnessBlender.com . You can find easy workouts, or more difficult, plus stretching videos, yoga, pilates etc...all Free!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Seems that there are new yoga channels on Youtube all the time: Yoga with Tim (Senesi), Yoga with Candace, DoYogaWithMe.....Look at those and you'll find others.
  • lsabeIIe
    lsabeIIe Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    All free videos, the best website for yoga in my opinion.
    https://www.doyogawithme.com
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'd do slow yoga (Hatha, Iyengar) first before doing any flow styles. You need to really feel each body part in the proper alignment in each asana and get used to that before you up the speed. Yoga Journal has good reading and lots of videos on their site. Their explanations are excellent. I don't know if they show any from Patricia Walden (I have DVDs with her), but I know she explains things very thoroughly.

If you see a practice you like from somewhere else, you can also write down the poses in it and go research them on Yoga Journal before doing the practice at its regular pace. Or if one doesn't explain the asanas fully, etc. Practice them slowly yourself in order and then later you can do them full speed :)

YJ isn't the only place that explains things well, but be careful about videos meant for folks who have done the asanas a lot before! It's not always intuitive at all what your different parts should be doing, lol.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I do Iyengar yoga and would highly recommend doing a few classes at least in a studio setting. I was surprised when I first started how complex a simple looking move was.

Thanks for the ref to Yoga Journal @cafeaulait7. After 6 months of practice I still don't feel confident practicing on my own.

Cheers, h.