Animal protein!!

Options
I would like to know who has animal protein at all 3 meals and why. I know bodybuilders might need it at all meals but does the average person need to eat it all meals. Thx

Replies

• determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Does dairy count? 'Cause it wouldn't be unusual for me to eat dairy at all 3 meals.
    Otherwise, I have eggs for breakfast most days (sometimes with bacon or sausage), and dinner almost always contains some meat. Lunch is usually dinner leftovers, so usually meat there too.
    I don't try to do it on purpose exactly, but I do try to aim for 1 gram of protein/lean pound of body mass, and I find it hard to hit that number without eating lots of meat and cottage cheese. Also, I'm pregnant right now, so protein is important for that reason too.
  • samantha2127
    samantha2127 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't. Maybe one or two meals a day. But I do eat a lot of nuts and avocados. I have protein at 20% so I do more fat and carbs I guess.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Pretty close most of the time. Usually bacon or sausage with breakfast, lunch meat/chicken/beef with lunch, and almost always some kind of meat (chicken, pork, beef) with a huge helping of vegetables for dinner.

Why? 1) Because it tastes good and I like it; 2) Because protein.

Do you need it at all meals? No.
  • caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat meat once per day, or once every other day. (Unless it's the week leading up to my period... then I want to eat meat at every meal.) I tend to eat dairy or eggs a couple times a day though. Everything else comes from plant based sources.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If dairy counts, I have animal protein with 3 out of 4 daily meals, I think. If not, maybe 10 out of my 28 weekly meals. I always have two meat dinners, one fish dinner, and one meatless dinner per week.

I do not think we need to eat animal protein at all meals. It's more about taste and ethics than physical performance or even general health; however, veganism may be difficult to sustain proper health.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes - all meals. 1 to 1.5 oz lean turkey ea.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If dairy counts, I have animal protein with 3 out of 4 daily meals, I think. If not, maybe 10 out of my 28 weekly meals. I always have two meat dinners, one fish dinner, and one meatless dinner per week.

I do not think we need to eat animal protein at all meals. It's more about taste and ethics than physical performance or even general health; however, veganism may be difficult to sustain proper health.

Agreed on all counts.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. It would be waaayy too expensive for me to do that. I usually have meat at dinner time, and maybe a can or sardines or tuna fish later as a snack. Most of the time, I have eggs or beans or something for protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    pretty much...I have eggs and egg whites at breakfast (I would consider that to be an animal product) usually scrambled with some veggies as well as a bowl of oats and some almonds. Lunch is usually 4 oz of some kind of lean protein along with some brown rice or quinoa or potatoes or sweet potatoes or legumes, etc and a *kitten* pile of veggies or right now because it's winter I make a lot of big stews. Similar for dinner.

I'm a pretty active cyclist and I spend a fair amount of time in the weight room as well...the more you do, the more protein you need to a certain point regardless of whether you're a bodybuilder.

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I usually do, not that I try to, it just ends up that way. Breakfast/morning snack = coffee creamer/yogurt. Lunch almost always has some poultry or fish, plus yogurt. Dinner = poultry or fish.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I do, I have tuna for breakfast - coz I like it and it sees me through to lunch. I have meat of some sort at lunch - because I like it and it sees me through to dinner. I have it at dinner - because I like it and the hubster might be a little confused if we didn't.

If I don't have tuna for breakfast, it's usually eggs or some sort of breakfast muffin which involves ham or bacon.

Why? Dunno - I just like meat, and protein keeps me satisfied.
  • ariellenkov
    ariellenkov Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I NEVER eat animal proteins... gross
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    It's not a meal without it.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I don't eat three meals per day, but every dinner would include some animal protein, milk if nothing else, but I also eat meat at least every other day.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat animal protein at every meal, it's because I had a granola bar for breakfast.
    That's just my preference and the way I prefer to get my protein (meat, eggs and milk). I'm not trying to space out or time my intake or anything. I just like meat so if I'm going to sit down to a meal it's going to have meat.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I think the existence of vegan body builders proves that you don't NEED animal protein. Like everyone's saying, it's more up to whatever your preference is. If you don't want to eat animal protein at every meal, just find other foods that will help you hit your goal. My go-tos are eggs, yogurt, and veggie 'meats' though so I can't really help as far as protein suggestions go.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I don't eat animal protein, am vegan, and a bodybuilder. So.. .no you don't need it, but for those that don't follow a plant based diet it sure makes it easier.

I had to learn quite a bit about nutrition and my dietary needs to even begin attempting this journey, and while it is do-able, it is not as fast or as "optimal" as those that consume animal/dairy proteins. It requires more planning, knowledge, work, etc.

Not even gonna quibble about that.

People are going to like what they like for the reasons they like it and more power to them. I, speaking as a vegan (but not for all vegans) don't care what other eat. I made my decisions for my own personal reasons and don't expect anyone else to follow suit or even need or want that. There is no "one true diet" or "one diet to rule them all"... I think some hobbit lost it in the fires of Mordor between 2nd breakfast and elevensies.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There are days when I don't get my protein from meat at all. But I have a form of dairy every day. It could be Greek Yogurt and oatmeal for breakfast, bean soup for lunch, and a tofu based dinner. Cheese and nuts with crackers for snacks, with fruit or salad with each meal.

I eat meat every week.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Since eggs count as animal protein, I pretty much have it for breakfast every meal. Lunches and Dinner...that depends. I have been eating more meat since I started my diet...though will likely get back to more fish vs chicken. Problem is that fish is that much more expensive.

We do eat tofu a lot also eat a lot of lentils/beans etc...
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Since he specifically said animal protein, you naturally count all animal sourced versions, including eggs and dairy.

It is a rare meal ( or snack ) for me that doesnt contain significant protein, and almost always at least partially animal sourced.

As far as the why every meal ... its a lot easier to eat 30-35g 3x a day within typical calorie goals for a meal/the day, then to try to play catch up later in the day after skipping protein earlier. Also, most people experience higher and longer periods of satiety from protein then carbs of equal calories.

As far as why animal sourced ... they are all complete proteins ( I dont have to try to pair plant sources to get a full amino profile ) ... humans are hypocarnivores ... and I enjoy them ( IIFYM ).