Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do carbs, protein and fats all impact cancer risks or not?

GaleHawkins
GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
edited January 2022 in Debate Club
https://youtube.com/watch?v=WUlE1VHGA40

The speaker is Dr. Craig Thompson the president of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.

Discussing this subject was getting community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35784121#Comment_35784121 the Are all calories the same?? thread off track.

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Far too vague, too begin with. The latest study, as regards to lung cancer and carbohydrates, isn't an insular study by any means. Two groups, one comprised of smokers and one of non-smokers. The non-smokers eating a high-carb diet had lung cancer incidence, but the study is far too broad to be definitive. They don't isolate work enviroments, urban environments, even hobbies. All of those particular things can be highly contributory to lung cancer.
    And every single different type of cancer is a completely different disease. There aren't even causes known for several different types of cancer, so there's absolutely no way to tie in diet to them. With so many other possible causes of cancer in our industrial society, I'd challenge any study to prove that diet was causal to cancer diagnoses.
    We know that smoking cigarettes causes multiples types of cancer (lung, bladder, colorectal, for a start). I'd be shocked to see a correlation so strong between diet and cancer.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    While glucose uptake mutations are a sign of cancer, that video doesn't support that dietary macros impact cancer risk.

There is some evidence that calorie restriction in general reduces cancer risk but it is very iffy in humans.
    There is strong evidence that being overweight increases cancer risks significantly.

There might be evidence that macro composition has a role, but that video isn't it.
    What he states is about "overfeeds" not risks at calorie balanced diets.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    No science in my statement, but there are so many things in the environment that are unhealthy, the last thing I worry about is if my macro combination is going to cause cancer.
  • GaleHawkins
    Just fast forward to 26:30 on the video for the lead up to the slide at 27:00.

That is when the doctor covers the impact carbs, protein and fats can have on cancer risks.

@CasperNaegle did his 60 second blip help you understand that not all calories are the same when it comes to cancer risks.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    So you want to start a thread about this, but are you going to discuss opposing views?
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    No science in my statement, but there are so many things in the environment that are unhealthy, the last thing I worry about is if my macro combination is going to cause cancer.

Pretty much. Besides, hasn't it been well established by now that EVERYTHING you do or don't do causes, or is associated with, cancer? :p

I saw a stat from the American Cancer Association that my lifetime risk of getting cancer as a woman is 1:3. For a man, it is 1:2. So I have an excellent chance of getting cancer no matter what I do or don't do apparently...I'll put on sunscreen and try to avoid huffing car exhaust and licking bottles of Raid, but ultimately, I have an excellent chance of getting cancer because that's how it is.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    The high protein/carbohydrate cancer correlation controversy is well know. Heck, even high fat intake has shown a possible correlation to certain types of cancer (colorectal, prostate, breast, endometrial..etc). I don't think this is a discussion anyone can win (unless you are breatharian).
  • GaleHawkins
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    So you want to start a thread about this, but are you going to discuss opposing views?

@mccindy72 per the doctor from the dated video there are many views to discuss when it comes to how to prevent, cure or something in the middle.

The only thing my view is fixed about today is that prevention is really the only good possible solution since "cures" do not seem to be here yet. There is more science going into the causes and possible risk factors each year so I see more hope than @CrabNebula. I do not view the 1:2 applying to me just yet but could be eaten up with cancer at this moment.

Do you have any research to share about diet based cancer risk issues?
  • GaleHawkins
    edited March 2016
    The high protein/carbohydrate cancer correlation controversy is well know. Heck, even high fat intake has shown a possible correlation to certain types of cancer (colorectal, prostate, breast, endometrial..etc). I don't think this is a discussion anyone can win (unless you are breatharian).

But @amusedmonkey discussions are not win or lose events. :) It is debates where you get judged as the winner or not.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Well, the ACS says the following:

don't smoke
    don't drink to excess
    don't be overweight
    don't be sedentary
    eat a healthy diet with an emphasis on plant foods
    limit processed and red meat
    choose whole grains over refined

http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/002577-pdf.pdf
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Based on limited studies I've seen, it would seem to me that cancer risk may be negatively affected when a diet is high in saturated and omega 6 fats (say, a total of 40% calories) in the presence of a carb-centered diet (45% for example). It may be different in a LCHF diet, but I don't know how much research there is on these differences. I haven't done much research on this though so I'm not very certain.

Regardless of any correlation there, I think that even among the same macro split, food choices do matter when it comes to cancer risk. One can eat a diet of 45% carbs, 35% fat, and 20% protein on both of these choices: A diet high in refined grains, added sugar, and saturated fat, with little intake of fruits and vegetables vs a diet high in fruits, vegetables, lean protein, some whole grains/dairy, and low intake of added sugar and saturated fat. And I would speculate that for a lot of people who develop cancer or have recurring bouts of this disease that there is not a very strong focus on nutrition overall.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

don't smoke
    don't drink to excess
    don't be overweight
    don't be sedentary

I have had cancer. I don't want it to come back. The above is what I am told every single time I ask about foods and preventing a reoccurance. They also always say that cancer, a reoccurance or any illness can strike regardless of how healthy someone is or not. That's true. When you spend time at a cancer center you see a true representation of all people. Every shape, size, fitness level, young, old and everything in between.

Am I naive thinking that if there was a food or macro group causing cancer, it would be figured out by now?

Some cancers are in your body for years before a tumor forms or becomes big enough to cause issues which lead to diagnosis. How can diet and cancer be studied when we don't have a log of eaten foods for the past years? Hmm is that another reason for me to faithfully log? But only a small minority of people log.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    ten year cancer survivor here, and I was told to not smoke, not drink to excess, etc, and to make sure that I exercised and kept my weight in check. My oncologist has never once said that I should worry about the my macro split as a cause of cancer or recurrence. IF anything, I am more prone to recurrence due to having been bombarded with chemo and radiation...

so, I will go with what my oncologist says and not what the internet says...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2016
    mccindy72 wrote: »

@mccindy72 per the doctor from the dated video there are many views to discuss when it comes to how to prevent, cure or something in the middle.

The only thing my view is fixed about today is that prevention is really the only good possible solution since "cures" do not seem to be here yet. There is more science going into the causes and possible risk factors each year so I see more hope than @CrabNebula. I do not view the 1:2 applying to me just yet but could be eaten up with cancer at this moment.

Do you have any research to share about diet based cancer risk issues?

Again, that's going to be specific to the type of cancer and time of detection. Certain types have excellent cure remission rates if discovered soon enough*. And all I'm aware of have much better survival rates if detected sooner rather than later.

*And there's my plug for regular cancer screenings
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Immunization against the HPV virus is a pretty darn good prevention against ovarian cancer.

Targeted food cancer prevention is a red herring, IMO. It's like asking which hammer is best for eye surgery.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    100df wrote: »

don't smoke
    don't drink to excess
    don't be overweight
    don't be sedentary

I have had cancer. I don't want it to come back. The above is what I am told every single time I ask about foods and preventing a reoccurance. They also always say that cancer, a reoccurance or any illness can strike regardless of how healthy someone is or not. That's true. When you spend time at a cancer center you see a true representation of all people. Every shape, size, fitness level, young, old and everything in between.

Am I naive thinking that if there was a food or macro group causing cancer, it would be figured out by now?

Some cancers are in your body for years before a tumor forms or becomes big enough to cause issues which lead to diagnosis. How can diet and cancer be studied when we don't have a log of eaten foods for the past years? Hmm is that another reason for me to faithfully log? But only a small minority of people log.

You are right. I am a cancer survivor of almost 20 years and now work in a cancer center. There are all kinds of people with cancer. The biggest cause is smoking but not in everyone
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    100df wrote: »

don't smoke
    don't drink to excess
    don't be overweight
    don't be sedentary

I'm a little confused; are you saying you do or don't agree with the ACS's diet-related recommendations?

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    There are a lot of different kinds of cancers, even different cancers of the same tissues, like different kinds of breast duct cancer. Carbs, fats, and protein could all contribute to some types of cancer, and, possibly, not to others.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    lithezebra wrote: »
    There are a lot of different kinds of cancers, even different cancers of the same tissues, like different kinds of breast duct cancer. Carbs, fats, and protein could all contribute to some types of cancer, and, possibly, not to others.
    Food=carbs,fats,protein could contribute to some types of cancers. Good to know.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Food=carbs,fats,protein could contribute to some types of cancers. Good to know.

Please stop eating. Food contributes to cancer.
This discussion has been closed.