Garçinia & maca with IF

Options
coalz
coalz Posts: 308 Member
I'm trying a 16:8 Intermiiten Fast. Is it a good idea to continue taking these supplements? & when would be the optimal time to take them? & is ok to take them at the same time?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Pills/powders ect do not work.
    If they did, no one would be fat.

They only make your wallet thin.
  • coalz
    Options
    Well I'm actually taking maca trying to balance out my hormones cause I'm way high in estrogen & low in testosterone but I don't want to take pills for hormone treatment. Thought this would be a better natural solution to help the adrenal gland. Garçinia is natural also & is for my adrenal & suppose to help with energy levels. Sooo.....
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Neither of those do anything significant.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Just because something is natural does not make it better than doctor-prescribed medicine.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    coalz wrote: »
    Well I'm actually taking maca trying to balance out my hormones cause I'm way high in estrogen & low in testosterone but I don't want to take pills for hormone treatment. Thought this would be a better natural solution to help the adrenal gland. Garçinia is natural also & is for my adrenal & suppose to help with energy levels. Sooo.....

If you want to spend your money on them, go ahead and do it. I don't think either of them have been proven to assist in any of the things you're suggesting, and unfortunately the supplement industry is unregulated so you don't know if you're actually getting what it says, if you're getting it in a proper dosage, etc.

As far as the maca root though, i believe that INCREASES estrogen. I know many women take it to get pregnant.

If you want to increase testosterone with an herbal (which i dont think is going to work, but stick with me) people generally take horny goat weed, yohimbe, etc. At least if you're going to waste your money, waste it properly. :)
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,778 Member
    Options
    Just because something is natural does not make it better than doctor-prescribed medicine.

+1000
  • MelaniaTrump
    Options
    I remember seeing a book on eating right to balance out your hormones.
    I also believe that exercising a bit each day can also help.
    Looked it up: Foods such as:
    Lean proteins, green leafy vegetables, almonds, avocados,
    http://www.prevention.com/beauty/hormone-balancing-foods-better-skin
  • coalz
    Options
    Word. Thanks peeps
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    I know you've been talked out of this @coalz , but I am curious... where did this diagnosis come from?
  • coalz
    Options
    Dr ran some blood work. So I'm also low in serotonin & vitamin D & calcium. We talked hormone treatments & they all seemed to have rather drastic side effects. My personal belief is that western medicine Dr's are quick to write you a prescription and not take time to look at lifestyle & get to the actual cause. Thus, I did what I always do & researched myself.
    Adrenal fatigue is what kept coming up. Maca IS a hormone balancer. & Garcinia is suppose to help with serotonin uptake & improve libido & help with energy level. (Other symptoms I was suffering from) Honestly, my experience taking these supplements the past 2 months has gotten me here, where I am finally feeling well enough to start eating healthy & exercising again. I think I'm going to continue taking them & see how it goes. Hopefully it's all just temporary until I'm physically fit enough to just be normal again & not need supplements. But I'll probably keep taking my vitamin D & calcium forever:)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Consider stopping the IF -- in some cases it messes up women's hormones.
  • coalz
    Options
    *kitten* really?! Is that why we're suppose to avoid nuts & fruits in IF? (Which I think is super lame cause those are 2 of my fav healthy foods). But wouldn't maca help that not to happen? Ok I've decided to meet with a naturopathic DR & get the educated answers to my questions. Anyone else with Q's let me know & I'll get back to you with some answers after my DR visit.
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Visit your library and look for a book on diets to balance your hormones.
    You are not alone.
    You might have to give up chips, sugary snacks, fast food, alcohol and processed food.
    * I was in bad shape when I drank nightly. I even had my fibroids grow quickly and had to have a hystorectomy.
    Diet goes a long, long way. Supplements don't.
  • coalz
    Options
    Yea I agree. Eating healthy, exercising healthy, BEING HEALTHY is my main goal.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Dr ran some blood work. So I'm also low in serotonin & vitamin D & calcium. We talked hormone treatments & they all seemed to have rather drastic side effects. My personal belief is that western medicine Dr's are quick to write you a prescription and not take time to look at lifestyle & get to the actual cause. Thus, I did what I always do & researched myself.
    Adrenal fatigue is what kept coming up. Maca IS a hormone balancer. & Garcinia is suppose to help with serotonin uptake & improve libido & help with energy level. (Other symptoms I was suffering from) Honestly, my experience taking these supplements the past 2 months has gotten me here, where I am finally feeling well enough to start eating healthy & exercising again. I think I'm going to continue taking them & see how it goes. Hopefully it's all just temporary until I'm physically fit enough to just be normal again & not need supplements. But I'll probably keep taking my vitamin D & calcium forever:)

adrenal fatigue is not a proven medical issue.there is such a thing as adrenal insufficiency and a blood test would rule that out. as for foods balancing certain hormones,if your hormones are that out of whack I would definitely take meds clinically proven to work. everything has side effects including the MACA and the garcinia. which again those things have not been proven to work either. so it could be just a placebo effect. have you been back to the dr after taking it and have your hormone levels improved? heres something about serotonin testing-https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003562.htm go back and talk to your dr. dont take some over the counter stuff trying to get things straightened out. look at the side effects for both of these supplements.if you think these things are worth taking and worth possible harm to your body then you go on and do so.
  • coalz
    Options
    Yeah & neither is leaky gut syndrome but I had that treated & have been better ever since, with Zero IBS symptoms! I'm on Medicaid. I am assigned a new different Dr every month. & every time I go they only have 5 minutes or less to see me & tell me I can only discuss one topic per visit. & the closest provider is 40 mins away in the city. Obamacare actually really sux! Like I said I'm just gonna go out of pocket to the Naturopath DR. They listen, they care, they have 2 xtra years of education over a regular Dr.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Yeah & neither is leaky gut syndrome but I had that treated & have been better ever since, with Zero IBS symptoms! I'm on Medicaid. I am assigned a new different Dr every month. & every time I go they only have 5 minutes or less to see me & tell me I can only discuss one topic per visit. & the closest provider is 40 mins away in the city. Obamacare actually really sux! Like I said I'm just gonna go out of pocket to the Naturopath DR. They listen, they care, they have 2 xtra years of education over a regular Dr.

medicaid does not send you to a different dr every month,medicaid would not cover that many drs(medicaid only covers so much) and a lot of drs dont take medicaid. they rather you have one health care provider and you have to have referrals to see other types of drs to get medicaid to even cover the cost . not to mention everything I looked up on becoming one states they go to school for 4 years.drs are usually 12(4 years of college(undergraduate school), 4 years of medical school and 3-8 years of residency depending on what type of dr they are becoming.if you can afford a naturopath out of pocket then why do you have medicaid? medicaid is to help with medical costs IF you cant afford them.if you are leaking anything out of your guts or bowels you have bigger issues and need to see a DR asap, because you would risk infection as well as other issues.
  • coalz
    Options
    Diff Dr's same health care provider : / Dude, I think you're not smelling what I'm stepping in. If you would like to continue this "conversation"on private message feel free to friend me.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Diff Dr's same health care provider : / Dude, I think you're not smelling what I'm stepping in. If you would like to continue this "conversation"on private message feel free to friend me.

not a dude. and you did not elaborate either. you said different doctors every month . and since you seem to want to argue,I guess you will have to go find someone else to argue with.
  • coalz
    Options
    Dude everyone in my world is a dude. "You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing. . . ") Wasn't trying to argue. Just thought we were veering off topic from original post Q. :wink: