Colon Cleansing - Experiences?

Options
Helly my dear mfp- colleagues,

I used to be a semi- active user here. And now I came back to ask for advice.
See, I have been struggling with skin issues on my legs. They are extremely irritable, get red, I get razor wounds super easily, ingrown hairs. I had a bad tonsillitis around Eastern and I had to take antibiotics for 1+ month. Now suddenly I'm getting lots of red rashes out of nowhere. And just now I realized that I have the same issues my sister had 10 years ago. She visited doctors, got lots of creams and eventually got help through homeopathy. While I don't really believe in that (besides thinking it's probably placebo, but that's my own opinion), it helped her. She had to do some colon cleansing. She wasn't allowed to eat refined sugar or gluten for over a year.

Now I'm planning to go to the doctor next week to ask for myself and get an appointment at either a dermatologist and/or a gastro- doc. But I've heard from several people now, that it's probably my gut and because of the antibiotics. I discovered in a talk yesterday that I had to take lots of ABs as a child, because my doctors misdiagnosed my allergies. So that probably started it.

Has anyone experiences with clean eating for a colon cleansing? When I google it, I get different results (about how long to do it, if dairy is allowed or not etc.). I would just like to get a better idea before going to the doctor.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Colon cleansing is bunk.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Vitamin deficiencies and food allergies and intolerances can cause rashes. You can ask your doctor to test you for these.

I'm not sure what you mean by colon cleansing, but if you mean taking a supplement like this, no, it's not going to help with your rashes.
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    That side mentioned exzemas and I think that's (partly) what I'm suffering from. So a deficiency might actually be it. I'll definitely ask for some tests.

And good to know so I don't have to waste money on supplements I don't even believe in :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/detox_overview.html
    Colonic irrigation is not only therapeutically worthless but can cause fatal electrolyte imbalance. Cases of death due to intestinal perforation and infection (from contaminated equipment) have also been reported.

To add to the above, you would also be disturbing your gut microflora balance.

See a doctor for your skin allergies and issues.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've heard that after a round of antibiotics you need to do things to boost your intestinal flora. I think a cleanse might wipe it out more than the antibiotics already did.
  • nenshali
    Options
    I will definitely go to a doctor next week. And maybe probiotics might be a way to help;but now that I'm reading up about excemas, I'm guessing that I really have a vitamin (D maybe?) sufficiency. I'll definitely try to clear that up :) I'm just kind of glad if I don't have to do such a stupid cleanse where I have to miss sugar and gluten, lol.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Almost everyone has a vit D deficiency. I have it, my vit D level is 8 ng/dl. I guess I can attribute some of my aches and pains due to it.

I also have allergies to medication and food. Are you taking any meds now? you might also need an elimination diet to see what/if you're allergic to foods. With food allergies I get hives but I also get anaphylaxis. Tight throat, swollen lips, itchy eyes that water. With meds, I get head to toe hives. I am allergic to all sulfa antibiotics, vancomycin, nickel and Cipro.
  • jtd2001
    jtd2001 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    I've heard that after a round of antibiotics you need to do things to boost your intestinal flora. I think a cleanse might wipe it out more than the antibiotics already did.
    Barbs2222 wrote: »

• jtd2001
    jtd2001 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always take probiotics when taking antibiotics to avoid intestinal issues which can definitely affect other areas including the skin. I like drinking 1/4 to 1/2 cups of kefir, I find it's gentler than poping probiotic pills. Also a good yogurt with live active cultures is helpful to restore lost flora.
  • nenshali
    Options
    I am currently not taking any medicine besides the contraception pill. But I'm suffering from bulimia nervosa (and regularly throwing up might take a toll on that) and depression. So I definitely do have symptoms that suit a vitamin D sufficiency, especially being tired all the time, sore muscles etc. I will specifically ask for that.

Usually I don't take antibiotics so I'm not too familiar with what kind of probiotics are actually helpful. I will ask for that, too. I definitely noticed that my stomach is more sensitive since I had to take so many antibiotics, I never had that problem before.

Thank you all for your help! I know I'm kinda overthinking it a bit and I should wait for what the doc says, but I also kind of want to go in informed (at least I already know that I will skip on cremes with cortison).
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    A mild rash is a quite common side-effect of antibiotics.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Antibiotics-penicillins/Pages/Side-effects.aspx

The rash should go away if you've stopped taking them. If you still need to take them, a doctor might prescribe some antihistamines.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Skin and stomach issues can be related to gluten problems. My wife has skin issues that go away when she avoids gluten and come back when she indulges.

But colon cleanse??? Uh, no.

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options