40 year old guy, 40 pounds lost in 6 months, before/after pics...and reflection...long...AMA

Options
tonyberwald
tonyberwald Posts: 22 Member
edited July 2016 in Success Stories
I've been a little reluctant to post before and after photos...but after seeing a pic my wife took this weekend decided to go ahead. I also recently saw a work colleague on a business trip who looked at me with dismay and blurted out "dude...what happened to you...you've gotten skinny".

I'm 40 and 6' tall. Happily married for going on 14 years with two great boys. Been a yo-yo dieter for a decade at least. Used to be an ironman triathlete and an ultramarathoner....but after the birth of my boys and taking on several stressful jobs, allowed myself to gain 40 pounds. I was having heart palpitations every day and was in danger of going on blood pressure medication (I avoided going to the doc because I didn't want to go on it). I hated going to the pool and taking off my shirt...and sometimes to be seen in general.

This year, I decided health was going to be a priority. I was going to prioritize it above work and put away the self-imposed guilt that I would feel from going to the gym after work and missing family time. I actually blocked an hour and a half at lunch at work and only rarely missed.

My goal was to get to 175, but I've plateaued over the last month, so it seems like my body wants to stay at 176-177. Well inside healthy BMI range...so I'm good with that. I'm going to keep counting calories and working the plan...and if I go to 175...fine...and if I stay where I am...fine. I also plan to start a blog to help other folks in my situation...as well as continue to focus on strength and flexibility

Some thoughts:
- Calories in less than calories out works
- Stay on the plan despite daily fluctuations in weight
- Allow yourself to eat a little of whatever you want - I still ate a little chocolate and drank a little beer
- Lift weights, lift weights, lift weights. This is the first time in my life I've consistently lifted and it works
- If you fall off the plan (and you will) get right back on with no guilt
- Learn about micro and macro nutrition. For me, potassium (for blood pressure and heart rhythm) and protein (for strength) were huge
- Age is just a number

Anyway, this is long enough, but will be happy to answer any questions anyone has.

Before Stats:
- 216.4 lbs - December 2015
- Blood pressure: 140/90
- Thousands of heart palps a day - regularly off rhythm, irregular

After Stats:
- 176.4 - June/July 2016
- Most recent blood pressure: 117/78 (I've measured as low as 106/75)
- Occasional heart palp, but very rare

n4d8d7kl9obp.jpg
nx90e3wildmo.jpg

Replies

• HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Really loved your "thoughts" section - age really is a number, if you're dedicated you so clearly demonstrated it can be done!
  • brownlisa644
    brownlisa644 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Awesome man I'm the same exact as you are started out at 290 6ft and now I'm at 178. Been a couple years now I'm trying to lift and lift but no gym time so I do what I can at home it's worked for now so il keep at it. Keep up the good work!! 1
  • sugakane78
    sugakane78 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Nicely done! You look younger too, even if age is just a number!!
  • tonyberwald
    Options
    Awesome man I'm the same exact as you are started out at 290 6ft and now I'm at 178. Been a couple years now I'm trying to lift and lift but no gym time so I do what I can at home it's worked for now so il keep at it. Keep up the good work!! 1

Thanks! Great work on your loss - much more impressive than mine.

I love going to the gym...but body weight exercises can be great resistance training too. Get a pull up bar for the doorframe, some push up bars, and go to town. A million different varieties. Yoga is also great for body weight training. YouTube is your friend :)

• brownlisa644
    brownlisa644 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yeah thanks alot!! I love doing all kinds of push ups resistance is awesome I have found I do battle ropes in the basement and some core six pack shortcuts is an awesome workout. That's where I learned most of my moves for weights and cardio also
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    you've done great!
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • benjaminD02
    benjaminD02 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well done. I also really like the thoughts section this is something I might need to revisit!!
  • tonyberwald
    Options
    Well done. I also really like the thoughts section this is something I might need to revisit!!

Thanks!

A few other nutrition/calorie things that worked for me that I thought of last night:
    - When estimating calories, add 10% to your estimate (learned that on here)
    - Protein makes you feel full, sugary carbs do not
    - A great, low calorie snack is a salad with newman's own lite honey mustard
    - La Croix (sp?) is a good carbonated drink with no calories or artificial sweeteners - same with vitamin water zero. Both are filling when you are craving sugar
    - Double Bubble gum is also one of my go to choices - 20 calories
    - I'm not an Isagenix guy and only use one of their products, but a good friend is. Their whey protein is all natural, one of the rare ones without artificial sweetener.
    - Park in the spot as far out as you can when you drive. As an example, I travel a lot so park in the last spot in economy and walk to my gate.
    - If it's under a mile away, walk or ride a bike

Would love to hear what others have found helpful too.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • MrsMizzart
    MrsMizzart Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Very well done lad. You're a good few steps ahead of me - I'm slowly putting similar things in place and for similar reasons :-)
  • youmeandtheseaphotography
    youmeandtheseaphotography Posts: 12 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You look amazing! I agree, age is just a number, I am almost 50 years old and feel great, it's all about the life style, your choices and fitness...Nicely done and love the advice for others!
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! You look amazing, and I loved reading your story! Thanks for sharing.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I suggest you do deliberately consult a cardiologist. Something was amiss that you had palpitations at 216, and that you still have them at 176. Congratulations on your progress.
  • tonyberwald
    Options
    I suggest you do deliberately consult a cardiologist. Something was amiss that you had palpitations at 216, and that you still have them at 176. Congratulations on your progress.

Thanks for the concern!

I didn't put this in the post and should have. I had both and EKG and ECG...both normal. My GP is an internist...he ran blood work as well...also normal.

• tonyberwald
    Options
    You look amazing! I agree, age is just a number, I am almost 50 years old and feel great, it's all about the life style, your choices and fitness...Nicely done and love the advice for others!

Amazing isn't it...that it took until you were almost 50 and I was 40 to finally feel good?
  • tonyberwald
    Options
    Here's a better after pic.

toylornvgx4w.jpg
  • Tim_0932
    Tim_0932 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great job! What were the range of calories that you ate?
  • tonyberwald
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Tim_0932 wrote: »
    Great job! What were the range of calories that you ate?

I set my weight loss goal at 1lb/week and so MFP calculated 1850 calories, so I ate this plus the calories burned working out. Generally I tried to keep my calorie net at 100-200 at the end of the day...which gave me a loss of 1.5lbs per week.

For breakfast I always try to get some healthy carbs - fruit, oatmeal - and protein. Because I tended to overeat at night (before the last six months) I try to keep about 1000 calories in the bank until dinner. Some people say not to eat at night...but I didn't find when I ate had any correlation with weight loss...it's all calories in less than calories out.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!