How do you fight off cravings?

Options
Cravings have the potential of setting back your success but not by much; its mostly mental. I did research for a year on health and fitness. I am not a expert by any means. I am not a doctor or a nutritionist either. To put into a nut shell, when we put a yummy candy bar into our mouth and you know it will taste good something happens in your brains. There is a signal that goes to your brain that is translated into, "yum, may I please have more". I don't think our bodies care where the nutrients comes from as long as you put nutrients into your body is what counts. I have experience in this department so its not all regurgitated information from the internet.

The first thing I did to combat cravings was to admit to myself there was a problem. Second, I need to "want" to change. I reason had to greater than my why. Second, I found healthy replacements for the candy bar for example, a sliced apple or orange. I actually eat one sliced apple and orange a day a few hours apart. Some might ask about the sugar content but there's more to this. The fruit contain fiber and fructose which is not good for us in large amounts but the fiber helps keep us full longer than a candy bar and we will satisfy the need for sugar. Today, I am actually disgusted by the sight to candy.

So in conclusion, I hope some of you weren't expecting a catch all cure or method to help combat cravings. There needs to be a replacement and there needs to be a plan in place. Most of my meals are planned and their simple and small. I eat about 10 times a day. I constantly stay fed so my cravings really don't happen at all. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Replies

• BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    1) Cravings are natural and do not need to be "a problem"
    2) Food is neither "healthy" or not.
    3)Why can't candy bars be incorporated into a balanced diet?
    4) Why do you feel the need to eat 10 times a day?

That #2 can confuse alot of newbies if not elaborated on.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options

I agree if someone is allergic to something, it definitely isn't healthy; for them!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I don't focus on "combatting" inclinations anymore. If I have to struggle to be healthy, I'll lose. I have found adjusting my habits, environment and attitudes, a good strategy. Stocking up on real foods and leaving "trigger" food in the store - means reserving those foods for special occasions and "appropriate" settings. That way I can follow my cravings/instincts without hurting myself. I also let myself become decently hungry and eat regular meals of foods I enjoy.

Pretty much this for me.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend suppressing your cravings for eternity. Where's the fun in that? However if you crave donuts multiple times you day you can't exactly pander to every craving can you. You have to strike a balance between the two without it impeding your goals or nutrition. That balance is different for everyone. And when people on here say they eat what they want it doesn't mean what you think it means. Rather it means they actually eat "clean" for 80% of the day and fill in the rest with whatever they desire.

Although I've come to actually desire, my "clean" eating; especially if it's expensive because then, it has to be; a treat!
  • BodyzLanguage
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend suppressing your cravings for eternity. Where's the fun in that? However if you crave donuts multiple times you day you can't exactly pander to every craving can you. You have to strike a balance between the two without it impeding your goals or nutrition. That balance is different for everyone. And when people on here say they eat what they want it doesn't mean what you think it means. Rather it means they actually eat "clean" for 80% of the day and fill in the rest with whatever they desire.

Although I've come to actually desire, my "clean" eating; especially if it's expensive because then, it has to be; a treat!

I hope you do otherwise you'll be unhappy for the majority of the day lol. It's easy to desire well cooked homemade food. At least I do.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    Illyrien wrote: »
    Well, the longer I keep from eating sugar, the easier it gets. For me it it takes about 3-4 weeks of no-sweets to reduce it to a level, where its hardly a problem that I don't buy any sweets any longer. I did that back in April, and it kept until my summer vacation, and even cut summer excesses pretty far down. Wit the summer over, I have returned effortlessly to a no-sweets lifestyle.

I tend to buy berries instead, or owenroast red peppers. That is enough.

Well as a man, you don't have a menstrual cycle; so this might be an easy choice for men but as a woman, before/during mine; it's been mostly impossible to curtail.
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited August 2016
    Options

I hope you do otherwise you'll be unhappy for the majority of the day lol. It's easy to desire well cooked homemade food. At least I do.

For the most part I make my own food, typically with fresh produce/lean meats but I don't make my own sushi & I buy filet mignon, with the excess fat trimmed.
  • BodyzLanguage
    Options

For the most part I make my own food, typically with fresh produce/lean meats but I don't make my own sushi & I buy filet mignon, with the excess fat trimmed.

Likewise. I take pride in cooking. I'm awesome at it :smile:. Sushi? :dizzy:
  • DeficitDuchess
    edited August 2016
    Options

I'd love to be more creative/adventurous with my cooking but my disability, often prevents that; so I don't make many different or gourmet/cultural dishes, therefore I am no chef but what I do make is enjoyable enough, for me.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

I agree if someone is allergic to something, it definitely isn't healthy; for them!

rule number 2 does not bypass the usage of your brain and common sense....
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »

rule number 2 does not bypass the usage of your brain and common sense....

Unfortunately I've seen, a significant lack; of both!
  • BodyzLanguage
    Options

I'd love to be more creative/adventurous with my cooking but my disability, often prevents that; so I don't make many different or gourmet/cultural dishes, therefore I am no chef but what I do make is enjoyable enough, for me.

And that's all that matters IMO. What's best for you.