Weight loss Surgery Question RNY 4/27

Options
slepygrl
slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
Hey All!
I have RNY weight loss surgery on 4/27/16. Up to now I've been in survival mode. Just trying to learn how to eat with my new stomach. So far things are going well. I'm down almost 60lbs. I feel good. I'm very happy with my decision.
My question is. How many calories should I be taking in daily? I haven't been tracking my eating. But I'm starting too.

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I would think your care team would have set you up with a post-recovery plan. It would be best to ask them.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    No stranger on the internet can tell you that - talk to your care team.....
  • slepygrl
    Options
    Why the weird judgment? I am healthy. I eat right, exercise. I'm off all meds. (The pic in my profile was taken today.)
    This surgery process took 6 very long months. I'm doing EVERYTHING I was told to do.
    I only came on here to see what other people are doing.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    slepygrl wrote: »
    Why the weird judgment? I am healthy. I eat right, exercise. I'm off all meds. (The pic in my profile was taken today.)
    This surgery process took 6 very long months. I'm doing EVERYTHING I was told to do.

It's not judgement. Its a blunt presentation of facts. @MKEgal 's post sums up the confusion as to why you don't have a plan in place already. Weight loss surgery by its nature permanently alters the calorie and nutritional needs of the patient for life. It's a big deal. Your care team should have taken care of this long ago, and if they already have, you don't need advice about calories from other people. You should follow what was given you.
  • slepygrl
    edited August 2016
    Options
    FOR F*** SAKE! I know all the ins and outs of the surgery. I know how it's done. I know why. I'm only wanting to see what other people are doing. Calorie allowance varies from person to person. I'm active. I do stuff. WTF! THERE IS NO CONFUSION!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm only wanting to see what other people are doing.

[snip]

WTF! THERE IS NO CONFUSION!

Well...
    My question is. How many calories should I be taking in daily?

...?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    slepygrl wrote:
    Your original post said:
    I have RNY weight loss surgery on 4/27/16. Up to now I've been in survival mode. Just trying to learn how to eat with my new stomach. So far things are going well. I'm down almost 60lbs. I feel good. I'm very happy with my decision.
    My question is. How many calories should I be taking in daily? I haven't been tracking my eating.
    Which throws several red flags saying that you did not get good information, or were not following that instruction, did not know what to do:
    Survival mode, learning how to eat, how many calories should I be taking in, haven't been tracking my eating...
    If you were doing what your medical team taught, you would be paying close attention to your nutrition / intake.
    The best advice any of us can give to someone in your very unusual situation is exactly what we said:
    see your doctor.
    You are medically strange, and I don't mean that in a bullying sort of way, but being realistic here, your needs are now (and will remain) so far out of the norm that only someone who has been through it or who deals with those patients regularly has any hope of answering your question in a way that won't lead to harming you.
    And even if you were a regular everyday noob popping in to ask for help,
    we'd need lots more info to be able to answer your question about "how much should I be eating".
    Age, height, current weight, goal weight, activity level.
    Which is one reason I keep that BCM.edu tool link handy.
    The person can put everything in for her/himself, not have to answer questions from strangers, play with the numbers to get to a healthy BMI, see how many servings of foods they will get with various amounts of activity, etc.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    FOR F*** SAKE! I know all the ins and outs of the surgery. I know how it's done. I know why. I'm only wanting to see what other people are doing. Calorie allowance varies from person to person. I'm active. I do stuff. WTF! THERE IS NO CONFUSION!

Woah! Why the anger?
    Noone here can tell you how much you need to be eating, that's something you need to discuss with your doctors and if they haven't already offered you advice on calorie intake, thats pretty worrying.
  • slepygrl
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    slepygrl wrote:
    Your original post said:
    My question is. How many calories should I be taking in daily? I haven't been tracking my eating.
    Which throws several red flags saying that you did not get good information, or were not following that instruction, did not know what to do:
    Survival mode, learning how to eat, how many calories should I be taking in, haven't been tracking my eating...
    If you were doing what your medical team taught, you would be paying close attention to your nutrition / intake.
    The best advice any of us can give to someone in your very unusual situation is exactly what we said:
    see your doctor.
    You are medically strange, and I don't mean that in a bullying sort of way, but being realistic here, your needs are now (and will remain) so far out of the norm that only someone who has been through it or who deals with those patients regularly has any hope of answering your question in a way that won't lead to harming you.
    we'd need lots more info to be able to answer your question about "how much should I be eating".
    The person can put everything in for her/himself, not have to answer questions from strangers, play with the numbers to get to a healthy BMI, see how many servings of foods they will get with various amounts of activity, etc.

You know what? You are totally right. And I'm sorry for being a butt. I feel kind of ganged up on.
    Here are my stats.
    5'5
    37 y/o
    Female
    165 lbs currently.

Having WLS is a lot like being a first time parent. You read all the books. You buy all the stuff. Then the baby comes and you have NO IDEA what to do. Even though you have all the information. Your brain is mush.

I don't track what I eat b/c I eat about the same thing every day.
    Very little carbs. No sugar. 90+ grams of protein a day.

I'm pretty active. I run and do yoga. And my job can be pretty physical.

This process is very different for everyone. The 6 months leading up to the surgery, you learn how to handle life right after surgery. Not 4 months out. I have a TON of info. But it all stops when I was post op 1 month.

Again. I am sorry for being a butt. I am only looking to see where other people like me are at. MFP may not be the best fit for people like me.
  • slepygrl
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »

Why are you yelling and swearing at strangers who tried to help you?? WOW....Maybe you need psych help, not nutrition.....

Honey. I had a psych eval. I'm all good! :-P
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    You didn't receive a care plan past 1 month?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    edited August 2016
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    slepygrl wrote:
    Your original post said:
    see your doctor.
    MFP may not be the best fit for people like me.

MFP is fine for pretty much anyone and everyone who is trying to lose weight, get fit, or whatever. It's good for calorie counters, macro counters, muscleheads, bariatric surgery patients, morbidly obese, "just want to lose 10 vanity pounds," or whatever. You can customize your macro and calorie goals according to your particular situation, and find support from others going through what you're going through. However, until you have instructions on what those goals are from your care team, all anybody should be telling you is to speak to your care team first.
  • slepygrl
    Options

My care plan ends at day 33 (post op)

I'm making an appointment in the morning.

:-)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options

My care plan ends at day 33 (post op)

I'm making an appointment in the morning.

:-)

Really? I hate to be negative, but I feel like you got ripped off, either by your care team or your insurance. 33 days isn't right. There are loads of complications that need to be monitored for for pretty much the rest of your life.

It's good that you're going to make an appointment, though.
  • chrisraevsg
    chrisraevsg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve and I'm 4 1/2 months out and I get anywhere from 700-1400 calories a day. Every day is different as some days I can eat more than others.
  • Ehmeeheart
    Ehmeeheart Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest checking out the obesityhelp website. it has a lot more useful info than what you will find on MFP (for this type of question) im still pre op, so no expert, but i also asked the same question as you, and received a lot of useful information. Basically protein first, but calories are king. the feedback seems that most try to keep 600-800 calories until they reach goal, and then increase as your stomach and maintenance allows (1000-1200 ish from what i see). the bulk of these calories from protein, and minimizing carbs. (of course some people are exceptions)

All of which lines up with everything i've received from my bariatric clinic. It just good to hear it from others in a similar situation.