I can't reach 1000cals help?

Options
Hi,
Today I have had 3 meals & snacks yet I still can't get to 1000cals (so far I'm at 880cals). Does this happen to you? What do you eat/snack on to reach 1000?

Thanks

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food and logging everything (drinks included)? Are you using correct entries?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Eat something that you like. Have some peanut butter and graham crackers, or some cheese, or a cookie or two, or some yogurt and fruit, or some ice cream.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What are your height and weight? How much are you trying to lose?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Today I have had 3 meals & snacks yet I still can't get to 1000cals (so far I'm at 880cals). Does this happen to you? What do you eat/snack on to reach 1000?

Thanks

I'm not sure I understand you. What do you mean that you cannot get to 1000 calories? Are you saying that you feel so stuffed at 880 calories you couldn't possibly eat more? If that is the case perhaps switch out some of your low calorie fiberous food choices with some calorie rich choices. Have some icecream or a slice of pizza and you will get to 1000 calories fairly easily.

I am assuming you are trying to lose weight and thus have weight to lose. Therefore, at somepoint, you managed to eat more than 1000 calories per day...so just revert back to some of those eating habits (with moderation) and you should be able to eat that much easily. 1000 calories is a very low amount, not a high amount.

Pretty much all of this, and the link that Dianne provided above...

When in doubt, the answer is always pizza and ice cream.

Or chocolate or peanut butter or guacamole.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Not to be a rag, but 1,000 cals x day is more than likely way too small of an intake for long-term loss. 1,200 x day is the minimum suggested intake and that usually isn't suggested unless you're really short (like me - 4' 11"! But even I eat more than that). Your body needs those calories to keep on functioning. Eating lower than that can cause all sorts of havoc, especially to females.

Anyway, try switching back to non-lowfat foods, eat a protein bar that contains 300+ calories as a "snack," a spoonful of peanut butter, anything really!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary, we'd be able to help you.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Not to be a rag, but 1,000 cals x day is more than likely way too small of an intake for long-term loss. 1,200 x day is the minimum suggested intake and that usually isn't suggested unless you're really short (like me - 4' 11"! But even I eat more than that). Your body needs those calories to keep on functioning. Eating lower than that can cause all sorts of havoc, especially to females.

Anyway, try switching back to non-lowfat foods, eat a protein bar that contains 300+ calories as a "snack," a spoonful of peanut butter, anything really!

Yeah I wasn't even going to go there but I agree, 1000 calories is an extreme diet that would not be advisable at all.
  • berenireina
    berenireina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    And here I am finding it difficult to eat under 1600 calories. I finished today with 1800 calories, and I am berating myself hard for this. To be honest, if you cannot consume more than 1000 calories a day easily, I would say you are eating wrong kind of foods for your calorie goal. Try to incorporate more proteins and fats into your diet. Peanut butter is an easy shortcut to meet your macros, it is tasty and very calorie-rich.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

I'm not sure I understand you. What do you mean that you cannot get to 1000 calories? Are you saying that you feel so stuffed at 880 calories you couldn't possibly eat more? If that is the case perhaps switch out some of your low calorie fiberous food choices with some calorie rich choices. Have some icecream or a slice of pizza and you will get to 1000 calories fairly easily.

I am assuming you are trying to lose weight and thus have weight to lose. Therefore, at somepoint, you managed to eat more than 1000 calories per day...so just revert back to some of those eating habits (with moderation) and you should be able to eat that much easily. 1000 calories is a very low amount, not a high amount.

Pretty much all of this, and the link that Dianne provided above...

When in doubt, the answer is always pizza and ice cream.

And peanut butter and bread & butter and wine :)
  • Iona_EllenRose
    Iona_EllenRose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I think I can manage with peanut butter :smiley: ! My diary today was
    Breakfast - Porridge & berries
    Lunch - spinach & chickpea rice pilaf
    Dinner - Jacket potato, roasted veg, beans & salad
    Snacks - Apple, satsuma x2
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing EVERYTHING you consume? What are your stats?
    I have a feeling you may be eating more than you think.
    You wouldn't need a calorie counting app that aids in weight loss if you knew how to feel full on less than 1000 calories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I think I can manage with peanut butter :smiley: ! My diary today was
    Breakfast - Porridge & berries
    Lunch - spinach & chickpea rice pilaf
    Dinner - Jacket potato, roasted veg, beans & salad
    Snacks - Apple, satsuma x2

I regularly eat oats, chickpeas, rice, potatoes, and beans and you must be eating really small quantities to be under 1,000 calories. Are you weighing these foods and are you sure you are choosing the correct database entries?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    OP, before you start stuffing yourself with food in an effort to get to 1200 cals, how are you measuring your portions? Are you sure you are using accurate entries in the database? 800 calories is just not a lot of food - you are probably eating more than you think.

Having said that, if you usually eat a more reasonable amount, and it's just today you haven't eaten much, then it's no big deal. But as others have said, unless you are very tiny, you should be eating at least 1200 on average.

Edited to add: Now that I saw your response with what you have eaten today, you are eating more calories than you think. Oats, rice, potatoes, beans can all be pretty calorific. Do you have a food scale?
  • Iona_EllenRose
    Iona_EllenRose Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have just opened my diary for public if you want tk have a look. I have got over 1000 now by having an apple & tomatoes.