How to eat 130 grams of protein a day?

Replies

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited October 2016
    This is the issue I have as well. I started lifting weights and I desperately need to up my protein intake. I'm currently averaging 80gms of 1550 calories. I need around 120gms (on the low side). I cannot have any dairy or soy which eliminates most protein bars and powders. I do have pea protein but when I make it into a protein shake, the shake has to be a meal because even tightly measured ingredients it's at least 400 calories. It's very frustrating!! Foods that have more protein then say grains, (like nuts, peanut butter, etc), are so high in calories that I can't fit them into my day very well. Going high fat is easy. High protein - not so much. :neutral:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    susan72mfp wrote: »
    I can not eat enough protein without going over my calorie allotment of 1390. Protein bars etc have so many calories for a small bar. An suggestions for me?

Lean meat

And lowfat/skim dairy.

I used to get 100+ on 1250 cal without problem -- 2 egg omelet, maybe with some egg white, vegetables, 1% cottage cheese for breakfast; salad with chicken on it for lunch or maybe a wrap with a decent amount of chicken or turkey or some dinner leftovers; fish, starch, vegetables for dinner or maybe a pasta with shrimp and lots of veg or some other kind of lean meat and veg-based meal.

Make sure your protein goal isn't too high. If it's from MFP it's probably not at 1390, but some people assume they need more than they do.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    More meat, Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
    Nuts are a bad source of protein.

Why do you say that?

There are no good or bad sources for protein, just foods that have more or less.

Because the ratio of protein per calories for nuts is pretty bad. Hence why they're a bad choice if you're looking to increase your protein with protein rich foods. Some ice creams and bread brands have more protein per calorie than nuts, to give you an idea...
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    God I wish I could eat 2100 a day...

I am blessed with a super fast metabolism :smile: 45 years old too. Just really lucky.
  • serapel
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    More meat, Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.
    Nuts are a bad source of protein.

Why do you say that?

There are no good or bad sources for protein, just foods that have more or less.

Because the ratio of protein per calories for nuts is pretty bad. Hence why they're a bad choice if you're looking to increase your protein with protein rich foods. Some ice creams and bread brands have more protein per calorie than nuts, to give you an idea...

I'm eating a handful of almonds right now...yum...love them. can't break-up with them, but I can break-up with oatmeal no probs :wink:
  • serapel
    edited October 2016
    The responses are so awesome!!! I have gotten some great ideas! Thanks very much.

Last night, I measured 3/4 cup of red lentils and boiled them in chicken broth...added some broccoli. Was pretty good! I can do lentils bc they taste pretty good cooked.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member

Just egg whites for breakfast? Hell no.[/quote]

LOL , just gets my day started, gets my protein going. It's plenty to tide me over until lunch usually.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member

you show that sodium whose boss.

I don't ever really count sodium and I add salt to my food on top of what you see. I'm not hypertensive, my bp is spot on. My dad is the say way at 88. If I was having an issue I'd worry about it.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    God I wish I could eat 2100 a day...

How much exercise are you doing?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    1 protein shake, 1/3 cup beans, and 7 oz meat each day do the heavy lifting to get my daily protein close to 130 grams. Little bits of protein also come from my DKB and vegetables.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    I struggle with getting over 100g of protein, but some protein rich things I do love are protein shakes (a given), Greek yogurt (with low added sugar), lean meat, and TUNA. I love tuna. My favorite are the Starkist packets, the hickory smoked is really tasty.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    serapel wrote: »
    I need about 2100 cals a day and 130 grams of that should be protein. I'm currently eating about 85 grams a day of protein.

- 2 eggs with cheese (20 g)
    - handful of almonds (9 g)
    - oatmeal (3 g)
    - protein shake (30 g)
    - meat with dinner (25 g)

approx: 85 g per day

How do I get an other 50 grams of protein in me??? After my workout, I doubled up my protein shake...there must be a better way without eating too much food. Help MFP friends :smile:

I'm curious as to where you're coming up with 130 grams of protein...that just seems like a lot for a female...I'd wager I don't get that on the daily and I'm certainly not withering away to nothing.
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    10 ounces of chicken breast is about 350 calories and 50 gm of protein. Definitely doable
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I need about 2100 cals a day and 130 grams of that should be protein. I'm currently eating about 85 grams a day of protein.

- oatmeal (3 g)
    - protein shake (30 g)

How do I get an other 50 grams of protein in me??? After my workout, I doubled up my protein shake...there must be a better way without eating too much food. Help MFP friends :smile:

I'm curious as to where you're coming up with 130 grams of protein...that just seems like a lot for a female...I'd wager I don't get that on the daily and I'm certainly not withering away to nothing.

You know that's a good point...my target is 100g and I'm 5'8/160lbs (ish)
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    cottage cheese with protein powder

Just threwup in my mouth a bit. That is some hardcore dedication right there.

I'm with you there! I cannot even imagine putting cottage cheese in my mouth. The visual of it is enough for me, and I just can't imagine the texture..bleck! :s And I don't drink shakes either, same thing the texture and look just turns my stomach.
    For those who can do it, power to you, it's a great way to get protein.
  • serapel
    edited October 2016

- oatmeal (3 g)
    - protein shake (30 g)

Was a protein calculator on some web site where I put in my height, weight, activity level and age. Is this inaccurate?

I am 5'8" and 130 lbs. Lift weights 5 times per week. Age 45
  • serapel
    Sued0nim wrote: »

- oatmeal (3 g)
    - protein shake (30 g)

You know that's a good point...my target is 100g and I'm 5'8/160lbs (ish)

100g would be a lot easier and not so restrictive.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

- oatmeal (3 g)
    - protein shake (30 g)

Was a protein calculator on some web site where I put in my height, weight, activity level and age. Is this inaccurate?

typically the suggestion is 0.8 grams per lb of weight or 1gram for each pound of LBM...not 1gram per pound of weight.

I try to get 120 grams a day.

My fav sources are chicken, seafood (specifically shrimp, salmon, lobster etc), greek yogurt and cottage cheese.

Summer I do add protein powder to my smoothie but I don't use powder in the winter.
  • serapel
    SezxyStef wrote: »

- oatmeal (3 g)
    - protein shake (30 g)

typically the suggestion is 0.8 grams per lb of weight or 1gram for each pound of LBM...not 1gram per pound of weight.

I try to get 120 grams a day.

My fav sources are chicken, seafood (specifically shrimp, salmon, lobster etc), greek yogurt and cottage cheese.

Summer I do add protein powder to my smoothie but I don't use powder in the winter.

Well this would be a heck of a lot easier to do!!! This is totally screaming I"M A ROOKIE isn't it??? lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited October 2016

- oatmeal (3 g)
    - protein shake (30 g)

It's giving you 1 gram per Lb of body weight which is way overkill....

1 gram per Lb of LBM is the high end of things...and even then, it's probably overkill depending on what your training is like....

Here's a nice little graph I like...

optimal-protein-intake.png?w=420

This essentially shows you the benefit of more protein a sedentary vs. endurance athlete, vs strength athlete...you reach a point of diminishing returns and ultimately just end up making expensive glucose.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

I lift, but I don't really consider myself to be a strength athlete...more on the endurance side...so I'm more like 1.3-1.5 g per Kg of body weight...basically somewhere between 110 - 125 grams per day. From my research, I see little benefit for myself in exceeding this.