Lifting only light weights

Options
Sup, people. So in the past couple of weeks I started lifting weights as my main form of exercise. I'm sticking to a basic circuit, 12 exercises, 2x through currently. Here's the thing, due to a medical condition, I can only lift up to 20lbs. So here's my question: do you folks know of a program specifically designed for lifting lighter weights ONLY?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Do you mind me asking what the medical condition is?

Can you safely perform body weight exercises (where the resistance is higher than 20 pounds, but it's your own weight)?

Can you safely lay down while performing exercise (aka no blood pressure problems)? I.E. Pushups, Crunches, etc.
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Good questions all. I'm in end stage kidney disease, and I am on peritoneal dialysis. Yes, I can do body weight exercises. No bp problems.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a question for your dr
  • ThePoeToaster
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

My doctor, surprisingly, doesn't know squat about fitness. I ride a bike 30 miles a week and run/walk 15. They are shocked, so I can't really take them seriously. Statistically, I'm an anomaly. They don't know how to handle someone who is in fairly decent shape with this condition. Most of the patients they see are over 70 and very inactive.
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Your drive to stay active is very inspirational! Good luck with your condition!
  • ThePoeToaster
    Options
    Your drive to stay active is very inspirational! Good luck with your condition!

Thank you!
  • texasleahgirl
    texasleahgirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, but can your doctor refer you to a physical therapist who can set you on a program designed to support your health condition?
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Just a thought, but can your doctor refer you to a physical therapist who can set you on a program designed to support your health condition?

yes, this is what i'd say.

At this point it would be ill advised for us (or a personal trainer) to recommend a routine for you specifically. A physical therapist should be able to help build a safe and effective workout for you though!
  • ThePoeToaster
    Options
    I figured you level-headed folks would say something like that. GAAAAAA!!!! I'll bite the bullet and ask my doc. She usually just stares at me like I'm an alien when I talk about fitness.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I figured you level-headed folks would say something like that. GAAAAAA!!!! I'll bite the bullet and ask my doc. She usually just stares at me like I'm an alien when I talk about fitness.

don't waste your time with her specifically, i'd just ask if you can get a referral to a PT. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to have a kick-*kitten* workout routine just because your doctor is a goof. ;)
  • ThePoeToaster
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

don't waste your time with her specifically, i'd just ask if you can get a referral to a PT. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to have a kick-*kitten* workout routine just because your doctor is a goof. ;)

I hear ya, sister!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    So here's my question: do you folks know of a program specifically designed for lifting lighter weights ONLY?

i'm a little scared i'm being irresponsible here, but i know that blank-alien limbo they drop you in when you have a Disease, so [trying not to say yolo. it would be so tasteless right here] . . .

my thinking if the weight ceiling is your only restriction, then any basic programme would be fine. you'd just ignore [edit: or drastically modify] all the stuff that's about progression. the tried-and-true ones are stronglifts 5x5, starting strength, and new rules of lifting, i guess. i'm a sl alumna myself and have the starting strength book as my form bible, so nrfl is out of my range.

understand i know nothing at all about your condition. so if there are other restrictions (such as you shouldn't do certain movements for mechanical reasons, then this might not work out. and the other thing that comes to my mind is you might have food restrictions - i'm guessing wildly but think i saw something at some point about the role your kidneys play in processing protein. so that might limit your progress.

good luck?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

My doctor, surprisingly, doesn't know squat about fitness. I ride a bike 30 miles a week and run/walk 15. They are shocked, so I can't really take them seriously. Statistically, I'm an anomaly. They don't know how to handle someone who is in fairly decent shape with this condition. Most of the patients they see are over 70 and very inactive.

This has been my experience as well while battling cancer, RA, and kidney failure.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    First I think you deserve a gold star. I have a few middle age people I know who have kidney disease and none have had the energy or stamina to do the exercise you are doing. I agree with the suggestion of a personal trainer. A good one should be able to help you develop a plan which will suit your specific needs.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My husband is a dialysis nurse. He said doc might be concerned about the catheter getting displaced. But he thought 20 lbs seemed light.

You can do the same lifts as as NY program. You couId increase the reps. It wouldn't be the same as heavy lifting but could benefit you in other ways. You should ask Dr October wh th nthe 20 lb limit & if there is any latitude in that number for someone in good shape like you. Good luck with your treatment.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    There is the time under tension philosophy where a lighter weight moved slower can help in muscle retention and strength gains.
    The article posted below may be of interest.
    http://www.m.webmd.com/men/features/want-more-strength-slow-down

Cheers, h.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    High reps low weight is absolutely a thing.