Home made protein shakes

Options
Hello I was wondering if anyone has any good homemade protein shake recipes ? I currently use these :

Half banana
8oz 1% milk
1 cup Greek yogurt (fat free)
1 tbl peanut butter
50 g of Acai
2 tbl ovaltine

I mix these in the blender and add a cup of ice cubes to make it as a slushy. I take this after a workout.

If anyone has any suggestions please by all means reapond, as I will greatly appreciate it. My ultimate goal to drop weight while maintaining what muscle I have. Thank you

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @rod2341 :
    welcome to MFP.
    There are many variations available for homemade protein shake. You have to find what you like and give you "more bang for your buck"
    I use whey protein isolate in powder form, a banana, 2% milk, some raw pineapple. I prepare mine without sugar.
    This is way cheaper than buying an " off the shelf" protein shake already prepared.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter ended up adding to many calories to mine (to meet my personal daily goals) so I switched to powdered peanut butter (PB2) to still get that flavor. Not saying you need to but if you are attempting to lose weight it may help a touch to stay under total daily calls as normal PB is very Cal dense
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Keep fruit frozen and then you don't need to add ice cubes. Peel bananas, break them in half, and freeze them in a ziplock bag. I also use tons of frozen blueberries, raspberries, strawberries. Frozen chopped spinach and other greens are great to have too.

My ritual:
    I prioritize protein in my shakes, so I usually use plain greek yogurt and add protein powder to round it out.
    For fat, I either use full fat yogurt or else I add a spoonful of almond butter. Sometimes both because yum.
    For fiber, I add flax seeds, chia seeds, and/or use raspberries as my fruit because they are quite high in fiber.
    For carbs, I use about 1/2 banana and then about a cupful (sometimes less) of berries.
    Good handful of frozen greens, a cup of coconut water (potassium).
    Occasionally might add vitamins, Benefiber.

These run about 500 calories without the almond butter, 35g protein, 13g fat, 12g fiber, 65g carbs.

If calories become bothersome, I will take a walk or drink these shakes on workout days.
  • rod2341
    rod2341 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info. I greatly appreciate it
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Looks more like a carb shake
  • rod2341
    Options
    Do you have any recommendations? This is one shake that was recommended to me. Please by all mean I'm open to suggestions and to include homemade meal replacement shakes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What are you looking for? A protein shake as stated (a post/pre workout or snack or way to increase protein) or a meal? Are you against using protein powder? I do a variety of smoothies (meal replacement but with a good amount of protein) and those answers will affect what I suggest. (Mine are usually for breakfast, but could be modified.)
  • rod2341
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I use it as a post workout shake. I honestly would like to use foods rather than the protein powder.... but if necessary I will use protein powder. I'm trying to cut. So what I'm doing is trying to lower my calorie intake. I'm currently at 1700-1800 calories a day.
  • rod2341
    Options
    If you could suggest some meal replacement ones too that would be great. Thanks lemurcat12
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Milk + protein powder.

Shake.

Yes- homemade.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    rod2341 wrote: »
    Hello I was wondering if anyone has any good homemade protein shake recipes ? I currently use these :

Half banana
    8oz 1% milk
    1 cup Greek yogurt (fat free)
    1 tbl peanut butter
    50 g of Acai
    2 tbl ovaltine

I mix these in the blender and add a cup of ice cubes to make it as a slushy. I take this after a workout.

If anyone has any suggestions please by all means reapond, as I will greatly appreciate it. My ultimate goal to drop weight while maintaining what muscle I have. Thank you

I'm lame and lazy and just do water and two scoops of IsoPure Zero Carb Vanilla. LOL. Your version sounds way better, love the Ovaltine addition
  • rod2341
    Options
    Thanks, I was getting groceries and just literally happen to see the ovaltine and thought it would be a good addition to give it a chocolate flavor :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rod2341 wrote: »
    Thank you for the responses. I use it as a post workout shake. I honestly would like to use foods rather than the protein powder.... but if necessary I will use protein powder. I'm trying to cut. So what I'm doing is trying to lower my calorie intake. I'm currently at 1700-1800 calories a day.

I've read that carbs+protein is good post-workout (4-1 ratio), so that your current one is higher carb is probably fine. Without protein powder I'd use 0% greek yogurt as my main protein source too, and bananas are good post workout, so I don't really have a better recipe for that.

For meal replacement I use lots of veg and some fat. For example, today I did some summer squash, cauliflower, spinach, frozen strawberries, half an avocado, and greek yogurt, with a little water to make it the right consistency. My fall go-to was winter squash (roasted before), spinach or kale, green pepper, frozen strawberries, protein powder (but you could use greek yogurt), and homemade cashew milk for the fat (it is basically blended up cashews plus water). In the summer I use a wider variety of fruit based on what's in season.
  • rod2341
    Options
    Thank you lemurcat12
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I like Ovaltine in protein shakes too. I do it simple. Milk, protein powder, Ovaltine in a blender bottle. If I'm ambitious enough to plug in and clean the blender I use 1/8 of a tablet of Mexican chocolate instead. With winter here I'm thinking of trying both versions hot.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    My favorite is 1/2 banana, 1 scoop vanilla whey, 1 cup frozen mangos, and unsweetened coconut milk. Great in the summer!

Of you want some caffeine, I've been adding 1 or 2 tbsps of the instant latte mixes- TJs has both a pumpkin spice and matcha green tea latte mix that is very good when mixed with whey and almond milk. There is some added sugar so I don't do it all the time, but it's great on the go when I need protein and a caffeine hit.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Keep fruit frozen and then you don't need to add ice cubes...

I agree with this. I hate diluting my shakes and I don't like the texture of ground up ice. So I always use frozen fruit instead. As a bonus, you get some fruit servings in your shake.

• EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I love my protein shake.

*Whatever whey protein powder I have. Usually chocolate or vanilla so I can have flexibility with what I add. (110 cals, 25g protein)
    *Fairlife milk. Nonfat if I'm looking to consume fewer calories. Chocolate if I'm not. (nonfat is 80 cals, 13 g 'tein)
    *1 tbsp PB powder (23 cals, 3g protein)
    *1 frozen banana if I worked out that day.
    *70 g frozen blueberries sometimes. Sometimes not

Blend these together well. Afterward, add in 1 serving of Halo Top (60-80 calories, 6 g protein) (whatever flavor you like), blend for about 2-3 seconds. The small amount of time blending the Halo Time disperses it into the shake, but maintains the frozen quality.

This creates a very creamy concoction that fools me into thinking it's a legit milkshake. Minus the fruit, this is ~275 calories and 47g protein. Not too shabby.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    My hubby lost 60lbs eating his meals out of the nutribullit. But my morning shake is 1 C unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 C frozen fruit, 1/2 C lite yogurt & how ever much room there is for spinach and/or other greens
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Keep fruit frozen and then you don't need to add ice cubes.

or freeze your yogurt in ice-cube trays. i get really tired of the constant go-get-more-yogurt chore, so i wait for sales and then spend a weekend stashing cubes in my freezer.