How do you keep yourself from gorging food , when bored

Options
I'm having the toughest time this evening. I'm stuck at home and I have food on the mind and it's too darn cold to go anywhere.
I'm bored, I've noticed I eat alot when I am or I'm stressed.

What are your tips for times like these, anybody go thru this, or is it just me?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Do something else when you are bored. Hopefully something that keeps your hands busy. Such as an adult colouring book, knitting, crochet, Zumba, or reading.
  • Santeham
    Santeham Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much weight you need to loose, my advice would be, if you really need to snack, then do it.
    That's of course not to say reach for the biscuits, but instead replace what you snack on with a healthy alternative.
    Carrot sticks are the first thing that springs to mind, but if your anything like me... bleh! Instead I sometimes hard boil a couple of eggs in the morning, then later cut them up, and have pieces of that as a snack. Eggs are considered a 'super food' for all the goodness they do for the body.
    At the moment I need to loose 10 stone (140lb) and since I started switching to low calorie versions of things, like Pepsi max instead of Pepsi or 7Up Free, and changing the amount and way I eat, I sometimes find that my calorie intake is a little on the light side, and 'snacking' can be a good way for me to increase my calorie intake to a safer level. As I start to loose more weight I may need to re-access my snacking, but for now, if your anything like me, I would say don't necessarily fight it, just be sensible about it.
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    What helps me:
    -Drink two cups of hot herbal tea
    -Do a stretching workout (in front of the tv: tv on, FitnessBlender stretching workout on iPad/phone)
    -Postpone: decide to have a piece of fruit in 1 hour if you still want something then
    -do a proper workout: workouts are the best way to shake off cravings!
    -go to bed. Bit disappointing but sometimes it's easier just to give up on the day then to keep battling on!
  • smulmfp
    smulmfp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Cooking! When all I can think about is food it helps if I make a big, labour intensive meal (usually a curry) that I can portion out and freeze. I have a little bit for now and save the rest for lunches and dinners. It passes the time and satisfies the cravings.
  • Lovethesnow35
    Lovethesnow35 Posts: 2,070 Member
    Options
    I knit and do puzzles during the winter. I also like to put my headphones on and dance around the spare room while others are sleeping. No one is watching...shake it! Keeps me from eating for sure. Then it makes me tired for bed. Sleep well too.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I read fashion blogs. I can't overeat when I'm looking at fabulous clothing that I can wear when I lose my weight. :smile:
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Boredom eating is definitely a thing so I try not to be bored.

The winter is hard, but I've been trying to be active as possible despite the cold. If I'm in for the night, I've been trying to spend more time enjoying my indoor hobbies and less time just mindlessly watching tv or surfing the web.

Are there things you enjoy you can do indoors ? If not, you could always take up a hobby like knitting, sewing, crocheting, reading, playing video games, doing puzzles (word puzzles and jigsaw), drawing, painting, etc. there's a million things really.
  • mandtangedahl
    mandtangedahl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    sounds weird, but floss and brush. If it's after dinner and I floss and brush, I'm too lazy to do it again, so i'd rather just not eat.....
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I second the brush & floss suggestion. I try to do that as soon as possible after dinner so I am 'cut off'
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Keep your hands busy crafting, reading, walking stepping, gradually you will find the things that help you to focus on other things other than food
  • LilacLion
    LilacLion Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I double check my food diary to see if there is a reason I need more food or am just phantom hungry. I had to cut out processed food and added sugar/fat because I am addicted to them. Eating whole foods eliminated most of my cravings within a few days.

I get online and read something about one of my fitness goals.

I watch nutrition lectures on YouTube (There are so many!) while walking in place for at least part of it.

I follow along with my favorite PM Yoga videos-- lol YouTube is my friend and I suck at yoga.

Cuddle my dogs

Do a Sudoku or other kind of puzzle.

Dust and Dance (the furniture) with a concentration on being silly and having fun. ( Also Sweep and Salsa or Wash and Watusi LOL)

If it's between eating and going to bed, I go to bed and tell myself a story in which I am the heroine or at least the main character. I try to make it as creative, funny and far-fetched as I possibly can so I can laugh, relax and doze off. This is a replacement habit to end my night worrying about things I couldn't change anyway.

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,137 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Why are you bored, don't you have things to do in the house?

Read a book while chewing gum or drinking a cup of coffee or tea or what a funny movie.
    Put music in the radio or a DVD and dance.
    Got to YouTube or on line and do a workout.
    Write Christmas cards or e-mails or call a friend to wish him or her Happy Holidays. Time to wrap presents?
    Check your drawers, maybe this is a good time to reorganize them.
    Check your closet you may have clothes that you don't need or fit anymore. Time to help somebody during the holidays.
    Take a bath or a leisure shower. What about doing your own pedicure or manicure?

I did find things to do...I started practicing Christmas songs on my guitar for about 2 hrs, it helped to get my mind off the food, also downed a bottle of water, hoping I was just thirsty

See, you did it! You play guitar and you can sing, how nice and talented you are. So go ahead do it again every time that you feel a binge attack coming up.
    <3
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,137 Member
    Options
    LilacLion wrote: »
    I double check my food diary to see if there is a reason I need more food or am just phantom hungry. I had to cut out processed food and added sugar/fat because I am addicted to them. Eating whole foods eliminated most of my cravings within a few days.

I get online and read something about one of my fitness goals.

I watch nutrition lectures on YouTube (There are so many!) while walking in place for at least part of it.

I follow along with my favorite PM Yoga videos-- lol YouTube is my friend and I suck at yoga.

Cuddle my dogs

Do a Sudoku or other kind of puzzle.

Dust and Dance (the furniture) with a concentration on being silly and having fun. ( Also Sweep and Salsa or Wash and Watusi LOL)

If it's between eating and going to bed, I go to bed and tell myself a story in which I am the heroine or at least the main character. I try to make it as creative, funny and far-fetched as I possibly can so I can laugh, relax and doze off. This is a replacement habit to end my night worrying about things I couldn't change anyway.

I love this, I should do the same.

• FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    If it's in the evening after I've done my exercise for the day I will chug down some water or make a hot beverage, brush my teeth, then read or play a game or make something crafty (like a batch of lip balm). Anything to grab my attention and keep my hands busy and out of the snacks. Sometimes I make my husband crazy by dragging him into some kind of controversial discussion (for him - politics, religion, or why the Packers are sucking this season).
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Don't get bored!!!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I never "gorge" on food when bored, but I do mindlessly snack when bored. Neither are healthy behaviors.

There are lots of things to do to fill the time besides eating.

Also you must really have your life together to get time to be bored! I've always got dishes to do, laundry to wash or fold, work to do, bills to pay... I bet if you think about it there's something that needs doing besides food getting eaten.