What are your most filling but low calorie recipes? (<500cal)

Replies

• bikerjoe83
    bikerjoe83 Posts: 61 Member
    A big bowl of roasted brussel sprouts with olive oil, salt and pepper! I like to roast them in toaster oven at 425 until they get a little dark and crispy on the outside. So yummy and I'm actually stuffed after eating them!

I'd hate to be in your house after you've eaten that...
  • fanarad
    fanarad Posts: 97 Member
    One or my favourites is cabbage sauteed with garlic and onion with homemade tomato sauce on top! Tastes like a deconstructed cabbage roll :)
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    They even sell cauliflower rice in supermarkets, it's not exactly new or exotic.
  • kitkatlp
    kitkatlp Posts: 93 Member
    bikerjoe83 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    deedee_xox wrote: »
    Whats cauliflower rice ?

You cant be serious???

I don't know what it is either, remember not everyone on here is from the US.

Mate, it's everywhere in the UK (Sainsbury's, Tesco, etc.)
    Have a look here as an example:
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/fruit-veg/carb-alternatives#langId=44&amp;storeId=10151&amp;catalogId=10241&amp;categoryId=238865&amp;parent_category_rn=12518&amp;top_category=12518&amp;pageSize=30&amp;orderBy=SEQUENCING|FAVOURITES_ONLY|TOP_SELLERS&amp;searchTerm=&amp;beginIndex=0

;)
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Here's another YUMMY and super filling recipe. I've had it by itself and over spaghetti squash. You can have a HUGE portion for under 500 calories!!

http://www.primaverakitchen.com/ground-turkey-skillet-with-green-beans/
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Ravioli tossed with sauteed asparagus, use a bit of a lemon butter sauce instead of red sauce.

any meat (chicken, steak, pork) with a side of roasted veggies

chicken tacos are my favorite and always fill me up
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2017
    For me it would be a stew, has to have potatoes and beans (white or kidney) plus lots of vegetables, preferably eggplant and has. A 500 calorie serving is pretty large and I'm often full on less. Bonus points for satiety if I have it with white rice.

ETA: here is something pretty similar to what I make, except I add beans, but you could add beef for the protein.

http://www.vintagezest.com/2014/05/veggie-guvec-turkish-eggplant-stew-easy.html
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    I use ground turkey or chicken in place of beef.
    https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/08/beef-cabbage-stir-fry/
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    bump
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited March 2017
    1lb spinach (100 cals)
    440g Donegal Catch Cod (400 cals)

500 cals.

Good luck eating that in one sitting. You're also talking about 106g protein, with 10g fiber, and the spinach acts as a one-size fits all multivitamin vegetable. I need it salted, but then it's glorious. And you've all the room in the world for your favourite great calorie-negligible dressings.

And with all that in 500 cals, no matter WHAT the calorie goal for the day is, it's easy to fill out the rest without much effort or any sacrifice in satiety, even if you want to throw in a sizeable chocolate bar or/and visit Mickey D's.

I could throw down 2 big macs and 2 medium chips in one go (and if I wanted to do that ON TOP of the aforementioned, I'd still be below maintenance at 2140 calories in a day), but that 500 cals in one go? Not a chance.
  • StephAStephan
    StephAStephan Posts: 22 Member
    Healthy crab cakes!!

Mix fresh crab meat (1pound) with 1 egg. Stir in a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, a squeeze of brown mustard, and the juice of half a lemon. Chop one red pepper, half an onion, and a clove of garlic. Mix well. I add a bunch of Old Bay, a little salt, some ground black pepper, and a few red pepper flakes... But spice it to your taste. As a binder, I add quinoa flakes. I don't exactly measure, so I just add slowly, stirring, until the mixture becomes sticky.

I line a muffin pan with paper cups and roll a handful into a ball. Place each in a muffin paper cup. Bake for 350 for thirty minutes. Then, to get them golden on the top, broil for a minute or so +watch closely so they don't burn)!

Two crab cakes together is like 350 calories. And they are delicious!
  • jk1508
    jk1508 Posts: 15 Member
    I live in rural Australia and had also not heard of Cauliflower Rice!! But it sounds interesting and I might give it a try.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited March 2017
    I live in Australia and I have made cauliflower rice a lot. I usually pulse raw cauliflower in a blender until it's ricey looking then sauté in a pan with a tiny bit of olive oil. It's so good. I add veggies and chicken or use it with stir frys.
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Vegan broccoli and cheese soup - http://ohsheglows.com/2017/01/20/vegan-broccoli-and-cheese-soup/. Can eat two cups for 450 calories, and it's chock full of veggies and potatoes.
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Zucchini pasta is the most filling low cal meal I've made so far. I use a simple hand held zucchini pasta maker (retail between $5-10) and convert one green squash to noodles. Grease a pan with a little bit of olive oil, start by sautéing some onions, garlic, peppers, mushrooms etc then add the pasta, salt and pepper to taste and cook for about 2 minutes or until thoroughly hot. Add your favorite pasta sauce and voila. With a half a cup of oil and sugar free tomato sauce this meal is huge and less than 200cal.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Have a look at my blog. Most of the meals are below (or very close to) 500 calories and very filling.

www.counterfoodieblog.wordpress.com
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Tomato Braised Cauliflower

1 head cauliflower
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    cooking spray or olive oil spray
    1 to 2 cups onion, diced
    4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
    2 bay leaves
    ½ teaspoon black pepper
    salt to taste
    large can (28 ounce) of crushed roma tomatoes
    parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Remove the cauliflower leaves and core it. Just remove the core - no need to break off the florets.
    2. Spray a large covered pot or dutch oven with cooking spray and add olive oil. Over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic until soft.
    3. Add the cauliflower, bay leaves, black pepper, and a little salt and cook for about 5 more minutes.
    4. Pour the tomatoes over the cauliflower and cover. Cook covered for 20 minutes, then check it. The tomatoes and onions should be reducing to a thick sauce. If the sauce is too thin, remove the lid. Otherwise, cook with the lid on for another 10 minutes. The cauliflower should be tender and easy to serve with a spoon. Remove the bay leaves. Season with more salt to taste, or top with a little parmesan cheese.

Makes a great side dish or light lunch or dinner.