Apple cider vinegar supplements

Options
Hi, I've just started taking apple cider vinegar supplements and was wondering if anyone else who has and anyone's opinions of them? Thank you :)

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    What are your reasons for taking them?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I take cider vinegar and honey in hot water for colds and coughs. No idea if they help or not! Why do you want to take it?
  • crazykazza81
    crazykazza81 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Read up on all the so called benefits and the reason I thought I would give it a try is to hopefully help aid weight loss. Was sceptical myself about them. Did my research first. And asked in Holland and barret as I don't go anywhere else ie Internet sellers for stuff like tht
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I use a protein sup when necessary, a multivitamin to cover anything my food misses. Everything else is through the food I eat and work.

Other sups may or may not have certain benefits, but they're usually mostly full of big promises and empty results. Call me cynical.
  • EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust someone trying to sell me something to give me accurate information tbh, even if it's a high street shop rather than one of those MLM people.

BBC's Trust Me I'm A Doctor did a cider vinegar experiment, you can read about it here- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37229792

It appears there may be some benefits but weight loss isn't one of them. If you're going to use it then surely it's cheaper to just buy a bottle from the supermarket? I think you can buy organic if that's an issue for you. How are the supplements different to just using the vinegar on its own?
  • crazykazza81
    crazykazza81 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was going to buy the organic apple cider vinegar liquid form and the lady in the shop says she uses the tablets as to try stop enamel damage so tht kind of swayed me to go with the tablets. I'll have a read of the link you posted. Thank you pps for your comments :)
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The issue of ACV comes up over and over again so I'm finally go to say this. ACV is not a weight loss aid in terms of losing fat, etc. What ACV WILL do is aid in your digestion. People with indigestion, bloating, etc., more often then not, do not digest their food well or completely. This often results in constipation or diarrhea depending on the person's gut microbiota. ACV acts as an enzyme in the gut helping food to digest more fully (which helps the body pull more nutrients from the food - because more of it gets digested). This will make one's bowel habits more regular and their overall nutrition extraction from food better/increased. Will it aid in weight loss? No. Only to the extent that if one's bowels are moving better you won't be weighing excess digested food that is sitting in your intestines longer, but that's it. It's not actual "weight lost." But it IS very good for your digestion and is cheaper then enzymes (although some people need stronger enzymes then what ACV does if their digestion is really really poor).

For me personally, I find ACV capsules do help with appetite regulation/suppression but I think that is a very individual thing. Appetite regulation may help one eat less, but it is still the reduced calories that cause the weight loss, not the ACV. And then again.....it could be food digesting better on those days that makes me feel fuller which makes me less hungry.....so still not the ACV no matter how you cut it. ACV = better digestion, not weight loss.

HTH

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Read up on all the so called benefits and the reason I thought I would give it a try is to hopefully help aid weight loss. Was sceptical myself about them. Did my research first. And asked in Holland and barret as I don't go anywhere else ie Internet sellers for stuff like tht

ACV for weight loss had been around since the 1970's. If it really worked, do you think there would be fat people today? Just another scam.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You lost weight in your wallet when you purchased them. That's the only weight loss ACV is good for. It's just another in the long list of weight loss scams.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    FYI, if you dilute ACV with warm water, it makes a great rinse for your dog's skin.
    But for weight loss, no. I wish it was that easy.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    You lost weight in your wallet when you purchased them. That's the only weight loss ACV is good for. It's just another in the long list of weight loss scams.

I know I said the same thing earlier, but really. My debit card wouldn't be any lighter after using it to buy ACV stuff, so really you don't even get that weight loss.