Apple Cider Vinegar

Options
Do any of you have any success stories with ACV?

Replies

• cpurpero
    cpurpero Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    AHHH Sorry. I had not seen any other forums. I read that's it good for lowering blood glucose in the morning. Is it a myth?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    cpurpero wrote: »
    AHHH Sorry. I had not seen any other forums. I read that's it good for lowering blood glucose in the morning. Is it a myth?

Myth
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    @cpurpero what got you interested in ACV? Was there a particular article? Has there been buzz on social media?
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I don't know about weight loss but I know many people that take some with or just before consuming a lot of veggies. These are people that have digestive problems and they say the ACV helps with the fiber.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

Myth

Well, actually you're wrong about it being a myth. My doctor had me take ACV (I used capsules) when I was a gestational diabetic to help with my morning blood sugars. Different doctor, different state, a friend that had a baby a few months ago was told by her doc to use it for that as well. So, apparently, some mainstream doctors see decent success with it helping blood sugar enough that it gets suggested by some. It's not meant to cure BS problems. It's meant to help bring down morning sugars specifically when it gets recommended. I have no idea how/why it works but it did help both myself and my friend (pregnancies 15 years apart I might add).

Given the differing views of obgyns, family practice docs, and midwives, I suspect the latter two are more likely to make this suggestion then an ob is by the very nature of the mentalities they tend to have. Mine was a family practice doc. My friend started with a midwife and switched to a family doc. So I know at least those two have recommended it. I don't personally know anyone whose ob has suggested it. I highly doubt an endocrinologist would ever suggest it, but mostly out of ignorance, not because they actually really know from their first hand patients if it works or not.

OP ACV is helpful for some people with skin issues, digestion issues (poor digestion/assimilation), reflux, cooking, cleaning, etc. but it won't help you lose weight in a direct fashion. Personally, I can't stand the stuff so I use ACV capsules and get the same effect as the liquid without the nasty taste or teeth damage. It works well as a digestive enzyme for our family when we need it. When I was using it for my gestational diabetes (to help manage it), I started out taking one capsule with each meal and observing my morning sugars for a few days. Then I went to two caps per meal and did the same thing. I ended up at two capsules with breakfast and lunch and three with dinner. If I had a bedtime snack I would take one with my snack. That was how my doctor had me proceed. YMMV.

Thinking about it now, I'm wondering if the reason it helped was because it is a good digestive aid and helped things digest and work better overall? Just a supposition. Haven't read up on it enough to see if they really understand why it works.

Hope this helps.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    I don't know about weight loss but I know many people that take some with or just before consuming a lot of veggies. These are people that have digestive problems and they say the ACV helps with the fiber.

???

Or -- they're people who like to dress their salads with vinaigrette?

• Nova
    Nova Posts: 9,948 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hey folks,

This topic has been cleaned and returned to the forums. If you don't have anything helpful or constructive to say, please refrain from commenting, or move on to other subject matter.

Just a reminder:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Take care,
    Nova
  • cpurpero
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @cpurpero what got you interested in ACV? Was there a particular article? Has there been buzz on social media?

I came across the benefits of it on Pinterest when looking at ways to correct impaired fasting. Im actually on Trulicity now and it helps, but found all the benefits of ACV in the meantime.

• cpurpero
    Options

Myth

Well, actually you're wrong about it being a myth. My doctor had me take ACV (I used capsules) when I was a gestational diabetic to help with my morning blood sugars. Different doctor, different state, a friend that had a baby a few months ago was told by her doc to use it for that as well. So, apparently, some mainstream doctors see decent success with it helping blood sugar enough that it gets suggested by some. It's not meant to cure BS problems. It's meant to help bring down morning sugars specifically when it gets recommended. I have no idea how/why it works but it did help both myself and my friend (pregnancies 15 years apart I might add).

Given the differing views of obgyns, family practice docs, and midwives, I suspect the latter two are more likely to make this suggestion then an ob is by the very nature of the mentalities they tend to have. Mine was a family practice doc. My friend started with a midwife and switched to a family doc. So I know at least those two have recommended it. I don't personally know anyone whose ob has suggested it. I highly doubt an endocrinologist would ever suggest it, but mostly out of ignorance, not because they actually really know from their first hand patients if it works or not.

OP ACV is helpful for some people with skin issues, digestion issues (poor digestion/assimilation), reflux, cooking, cleaning, etc. but it won't help you lose weight in a direct fashion. Personally, I can't stand the stuff so I use ACV capsules and get the same effect as the liquid without the nasty taste or teeth damage. It works well as a digestive enzyme for our family when we need it. When I was using it for my gestational diabetes (to help manage it), I started out taking one capsule with each meal and observing my morning sugars for a few days. Then I went to two caps per meal and did the same thing. I ended up at two capsules with breakfast and lunch and three with dinner. If I had a bedtime snack I would take one with my snack. That was how my doctor had me proceed. YMMV.

Thinking about it now, I'm wondering if the reason it helped was because it is a good digestive aid and helped things digest and work better overall? Just a supposition. Haven't read up on it enough to see if they really understand why it works.

Hope this helps.

Did your morning sugars improve?