Keto

Options
Hello everyone,

I am no beginner when it comes to weight training and eating clean, but I never had really counted the food that I was eating. Probably that is the reason that I am still plagued with belly fat. Though I am muscular but I find it hard and time consuming to lose this belly fat with normal calory counting technique or carb cycling and so I ahwv decided to start a keto diet soon.
I have been reading about what and what not to do and how to proceed with it but I guess talking to someone who's gone though this routine would be very beneficial. If anyone of you guys have tried it give me a shout.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Personally, all keto bulking did for me was make me fat and weak. SKD, TKD, CKD, didn't matter, they all sucked for me.

However, check out ketogains on reddit. A lot of those guys seem to be getting pretty good results with it.
  • tushi2
    tushi2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks man
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Really what it comes down to is being able to find a diet that will allow you to sustain a calorie deficit to cut fat and allow you to get the flat stomach. The main things with keto, get enough sodium in your diet (base of at least 3000-5000mg) and if you start to experience cramping, I would consider supplementing with potassium and magnesium (www.labdoor.com for quality assessment). And depending on how your body responses, you many or many not see decreases in performance.

One of the people I work with is keto. We keep her around 40-50g of carbs and time most of those around her workouts. In six months, so lost 9 lbs and gained 6 lbs of lean body mass. She was a noob to lifting, so noob gains came into play. You will definitely need to play with things a bit though.
  • vinceno21
    vinceno21 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Check out Mark Bell from the super training gym in sac. Mark is on the Keto diet and hes a beast.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    ^Mark's keto diet is a very small part of his beastinest.
  • drakeshattuck
    drakeshattuck Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    KETO= More of the same pseudoscience nonsense that has been coming out about every six months for the past 30 years.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - you don't need Keto to lose belly fat. What you need is a consistent calorie deficit, structured exercise regiment, and adherence to micros and macros
  • vinceno21
    vinceno21 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    ^Mark's keto diet is a very small part of his beastinest.

Yea you're absolutely correct! When it comes to building strength he is definitely a good resource to use. I didn't feel the need to go on a rant about the numerous amount of ways he developed that strength and intensity throughout his years but thanks for pointing out the obvious.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    KETO= More of the same pseudoscience nonsense that has been coming out about every six months for the past 30 years.

I don't know if it's pseudo science or not but I can't understand why people do these things to their bodies. What is the problem with just eating a varied diet of a wide range of foods but more or less of it,according to your goals?
  • psuLemon
    Options

I don't know if it's pseudo science or not but I can't understand why people do these things to their bodies. What is the problem with just eating a varied diet of a wide range of foods but more or less of it,according to your goals?

Well it's definitely not pseudoscience. Some people have to eat that way due to autoimmune issues and some find it more palatable towards their lifestyle and eating habits. Either way, you have to understand the limitations of each diet and how it can impact your goals.

Keto is probably not the one diet I would follow if I was trying to gain muscle.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    OK,I hadn't realised it was beneficial for autoimmune conditions - in that case maybe I should look into it.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

"Pseudoscience" that's been successfully prescribed for epileptics and many diabetics for over 100 years, and is backed by decades of solid science to treat those conditions. Learning something before spouting off will help you look less foolish.

As far as weight loss, it's a very easy diet to lose weight on, because you don't get hungry. I did it for awhile and liked it (and lost weight, even though that wasn't my goal), but in the end I enjoy beer and bourbon too much to commit to it.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    OK,I hadn't realised it was beneficial for autoimmune conditions - in that case maybe I should look into it.

It should be some autoimmune issues. Others it has no benefit and can make it worse in some cases.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »

"Pseudoscience" that's been successfully prescribed for epileptics and many diabetics for over 100 years, and is backed by decades of solid science to treat those conditions. Learning something before spouting off will help you look less foolish.

As far as weight loss, it's a very easy diet to lose weight on, because you don't get hungry. I did it for awhile and liked it (and lost weight, even though that wasn't my goal), but in the end I enjoy beer and bourbon too much to commit to it.

Just pointing out, this isn't universal. There are a equal amounts of people who don't respond well to very low carb diets.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    To be honest,due to my own dietary restrictions I tend to lean towards high fat/low carbs anyway. I'll research it a bit more. I suppose I just find it hard to grasp why someone would choose to eat that way when there's no need.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    To be honest,due to my own dietary restrictions I tend to lean towards high fat/low carbs anyway. I'll research it a bit more. I suppose I just find it hard to grasp why someone would choose to eat that way when there's no need.

It would be no different than someone wanting to go vegetarian. And the same reason I put myself through some suffering with calorie/carb cyling.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

It would be no different than someone wanting to go vegetarian. And the same reason I put myself through some suffering with calorie/carb cyling.

True,but going vegetarian doesn't have the negative side effects I see people posting about on here and there's often an ethical reason behind that decision.
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

True,but going vegetarian doesn't have the negative side effects I see people posting about on here and there's often an ethical reason behind that decision.

The only negative side effects are caused by people doing it wrong and not researching. No different than vegetarians who don't do their research. I had a few friends hospitalized with protein deficiencies because they thought going vegetarian was just eating a bunch of plants. They certainly didn't do it for ethical reason (that's more vegan). They "heard" it was healthier and would let them lose weight.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Yeah,fair enough :smile:
    Most of my vegetarian friends have chosen to be so for ethical reasons but,they also eat well and didn't go at it half *kitten*. I can see that would lead to problems with any diet. Thanks for the info!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I ran a CKD bulk over the summer. End result: fat, hungry, and angry about the whole thing. I love keto for cutting, but trying to use it for bulking was an utter failure for me, and I ran higher than the average keto proteinphobic amounts.

On the other hand, there are plenty of people over at ketogains doing fine with it, though the SKD guys tend to have fairly meh results compared to the TKD and CKD runners.