Milo at LSU: "Fat Shaming Works"

Just watched a video were this guy makes the argument "fat shaming works". Obviously this is controversial but is also an interesting topic. His justification is that the cost of an obese america is high, and there is science that shows the shaming thing gets results.

Start watching at 57 min in, does contain adult humor.
https://youtu.be/mBSqCEwAliI?t=57m27s

Replies

• Aidan2552
    Aidan2552 Posts: 16 Member
    God Bless Milo
  • ntw25
    ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
    Its an interesting argument and one that I am sure will become more mainstream over time. A number of people are now willing to comment on smoking, to a smoker, but less so on eating to an obese person (speaking as an obese former smoker).

In both cases the person knows that what they are doing is unhealthy, but with food it is neither unsociable or dangerous to others around them.

Ultimately I gave up smoking because of the health benefits, being outside in all weathers and treated like a pariah was less of a factor, but probably played a part.

Do I want to be shamed for being obese. No. I know that you don't want to sit next to me on a plane, I know that you may not find me attractive, I know that you don't want to look at me on the beach, but I do not to be told that.

How am I hurting you ?

I would be an advocate of paying more for a flight and more for my health insurance IF I didn't think that those companies would not use it to scalp all customers (look at baggage fees and the epi-pen debacle)

I think that it is an interesting debate and one that I would like to participate in. That said, I will still be offended if you try to shame me and I am likely to get angry if you do it more than once and, of course, I am a big guy to pick a fight with :wink:

As an aside, if you take out the conversation about attraction you will have a more meaningful debate. I happen to find larger ladies very attractive (my wife being one), each to their own in this space

N
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited January 2017
    It's been easy to shame a smoker for decades, in the US. That may be because you can feel the personal risk of second hand smoke. We don't have that connection with non-family who are overweight.

I think this should be a national discussion in that people need to be aware of the impacts to their health. However, between individuals I think this is a conversation only for friends and family, not strangers.

I don't like shaming people, rudeness is usually counterproductive but people also need to aspire to a healthy life. To use a religious saying, "love the sinner but hate the sin" may explain how I feel. So maybe shaming isn't even the right word, but the answer definitely is not complete acceptance of unhealthy lifestyles.