Lower calories or wait?

Options
I was bulking at 3000 calories and not gaining weight so I went up to 3200 for 2 weeks, then to 3500. I've been at 3500 for 8 days now and have gained 2 lbs. Should I lower calories or stay at 3500 for another week or so? I'm currently 6' 168lbs.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A lot of factors involved. Have you been more/less/same level of activity since increasing calories? Are the added kcals coming from heavier but less energy dense foods? Macro breakdown of caloric increase?

Basically, if you weren't gaining anything on 3200, there's no way in hell 3500 put you up by almost 2 lbs./week, unless something else changed as well.
  • 99JT
    99JT Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Activity has been the same, macros is roughly 230p, 140g, 300c. Could it just be water retention?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    99JT wrote: »
    Activity has been the same, macros is roughly 230p, 140g, 300c. Could it just be water retention?

Either that or food volume, would be my guesses. My weight can shift pretty drastically within 24-48 hours, mainly depending upon carb and sodium intake, and whether or not I had a dumb and let myself get just a little dehydrated. I've had stupid days where all three got out of whack and I gained 17 lbs. in a week.
  • jwknight67
    jwknight67 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Im bulking now and my macros are P350, C425, F100. I have been noticing some success. Im increasing this next week and another small increase in 2 weeks for the next 3 months. In May I will drop the carbs and start cutting.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    jwknight67 wrote: »
    Im bulking now and my macros are P350, C425, F100. I have been noticing some success. Im increasing this next week and another small increase in 2 weeks for the next 3 months. In May I will drop the carbs and start cutting.

Looks pretty similar to my daily macros, though mine shift a little depending upon activity level, and whether or not the higher carb consumption is making me feel a bit squishy. One or two days of cut carbs to dry out (while upping p/f to compensate) and then right back at it.
  • 99JT
    Options
    Looks like I'll give 3500 a couple more weeks and see how it goes.
  • 99JT
    Options
    In the first two weeks i gained 2.5lbs, now in the third week in steadily lost 2 lbs. Is this normal? My diet and workout have remained the same, and i weigh myself every morning after i go to the bathroom.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    99JT wrote: »
    In the first two weeks i gained 2.5lbs, now in the third week in steadily lost 2 lbs. Is this normal? My diet and workout have remained the same, and i weigh myself every morning after i go to the bathroom.

Yeap. And this is why we told you to wait. Honestly, I'd recommend using an app to track weight trends, and weigh daily. Makes it eaiser to see the big picture.
  • 99JT
    Options
    I just started weighing myself daily and writing it down so it can get a weekly average i will look into an app.