Fat loss vs. Weight loss

Options
So I am pretty much at my lowest weight I can be at for my body unless I go to extreme measures. However I still have fat in certain areas. I have been focusing more of lifting weights and strength training and doing cardio 2 days a week. Will this help? And yes I eat healthy and what not.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Yes it will help, but are you sure its fat? Eating healthy is all an individual perception. Are you also eating enough protein to prevent muscle wasting? Enough fat for hormone regulation?
  • 12stone1
    12stone1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Feel the same way morty.I am 5'11 178lbs if I loose any weight I still seem to retain belly fat.I do cardio up to 3 times a week and lifting weights 5 times a week.I have seen in other threads that heavy lifting and maintenance cal is the way to go?what is your lifting routine?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Morty90210 wrote: »
    So I am pretty much at my lowest weight I can be at for my body unless I go to extreme measures. However I still have fat in certain areas. I have been focusing more of lifting weights and strength training and doing cardio 2 days a week. Will this help? And yes I eat healthy and what not.

What are your stats? How many calories are you eating? What are your macros? What is your actual training program?

Body composition is what drives a good body. If you have inadequate lean body mass, than you may have to take alternative routes to reach you ideal body. Lifting, especially a well structured progressive overload lifting program, is largely going to be ideal. And depending on where you are now, depends on the path you need to take.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    12stone1 wrote: »
    Feel the same way morty.I am 5'11 178lbs if I loose any weight I still seem to retain belly fat.I do cardio up to 3 times a week and lifting weights 5 times a week.I have seen in other threads that heavy lifting and maintenance cal is the way to go?what is your lifting routine?

Unfortunately belly fat tends to be the last fat to go. Keep going at it with deficit eating. I'm 6' 165, though I went down as far as 157.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Unfortunately belly fat tends to be the last fat to go. Keep going at it with deficit eating. I'm 6' 165, though I went down as far as 157.

Yar, this, and it's the first to come back. I'm currently bulking from 168-180 over about three months, and at 173 now, at 5'10". Already, my abs are fading out, even though I still have veins showing in my quads, calves, and all over my shoulders and arms.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I am literally the same stats currently. I have minor ab definition on my top 4, but still need to cut probably 10lbs of fat to get a six pack. So keep cutting.
  • 12stone1
    12stone1 Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    ,edit
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I see the OP is a female. It sounds like she is in a similar position as I was. I got down to 14-15%BF this summer and still had plenty of fat around my thighs and lower belly (and absolutely no boobs). It's not healthy for a woman to dip below that for long, so it's pretty frustrating. But I think @psuLemon's point is that it just means you probably need to build up more lean mass and there are different ways to go about doing that.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I see the OP is a female. It sounds like she is in a similar position as I was. I got down to 14-15%BF this summer and still had plenty of fat around my thighs and lower belly (and absolutely no boobs). It's not healthy for a woman to dip below that for long, so it's pretty frustrating. But I think @psuLemon's point is that it just means you probably need to build up more lean mass and there are different ways to go about doing that.

Pretty much. There are a lot of women and some men that come here with very low weight with some body composition issue. If you still have flab and you are low in weight or eve body fat, then its a good chance gaining muscle to fill out your body is what is going to be needed. As noted below. Weight isn't a good indicator always. Sometimes, you just need more mass.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

KDbuddy_BodyfatComparison.jpg