Sick, and need low carb comfort food. :(

Options
I have been really sick this past week, and I'm having trouble 1.) finding low carb food that sounds appetizing to my poor stomach, and 2.) finding low carb food that won't upset my stomach even more. Any and all suggestions are welcome. I know chicken broth is okay, but chicken broth for an entire week can't be healthy :/

Replies

• Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I make my own chicken soup using no salt added or low sodium chicken stock/broth, chicken thighs (boneless), seasoning. I'll boil the thighs in the broth until they can be shredded, then add water/broth and veggies of my choice. Instead of noodles I add brown rice for added protein. Last time I was sick I ate that the entire week, it was high protein, low sodium. I love my carbs, so I don't limit them beyond about 300g a day, but I suppose if you use low carb veggies in the soup you could call it low carb. Beats the heck out of store bought sodium-laden soup with little or no protein whatsoever.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Sick here too and I've been living off of oat bowls. Not low carb but oats are such a great comfort food (and I'm down a pound this morning so that's a bonus lol).
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    When they actually ask for opinions on low carb, they'll surely get plenty.

In the meantime, almost any kind of soup! Chicken broth all week is fine but you could mix it up with veg and different brands, and cook some nice veggies in it to get a lot of nutrients in too.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    why does it have to be low carb? eat anything you want that makes you feel better.

Probably because she is on a low-carb diet that is working for her and she doesn't want to "fall off the wagon"

Miso soup is a good option. Egg Drop soup, Winter veggetable soup. (Think Lumberjack stew without potatoes)

Tomato soup. (low sugar)

Also checkout this Paleo article. http://paleoleap.com/paleo-sick-foods/

Personally I might do the BRAT diet with plans on doing a few days on strict carb restriction after I feel better.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    How about turkey chili (or beef chili)? You may have to make it yourself to be sure of the ingredients. just Google a low carb recipe. I am not sure of your macros, but it fits into mine - low carb.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above. If you're having stomach issues the BRAT diet (bread, rice, apple sauce and toast) is likely your best bet, especially if low carb foods are making your stomach feel worse. Have you tried seeing if high carb foods make your stomach feel better? If you decide to eat carbs while you're not feeling well, chicken congee is really soothing and easy to digest. I basically lived on it when I had the stomach flu last week. Here's the recipe I used:

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018321-chicken-congee

Focus on getting well first, then get back to your weight loss plan.
  • nightski
    nightski Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It's not just that. If you are on a strict low carb diet and potentially in ketosis, having carbs can make you feel much worse initially when you are kicked out. Not necessarily something you want to do when already sick.

I agree, some chicken broth and/or any soup if you are up to it would be great.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    nightski wrote: »
    It's not just that. If you are on a strict low carb diet and potentially in ketosis, having carbs can make you feel much worse initially when you are kicked out. Not necessarily something you want to do when already sick.

I agree, some chicken broth and/or any soup if you are up to it would be great.

I didn't see anywhere in her post where she said anything about being in ketosis or following keto??
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb and have done so for over three years now, so I've been through a few colds/illnesses along the way. I generally don't eat much differently when I'm sick. I may be "off my feed" (reduced appetite) for a few days, and stick with scrambled eggs or broth for a day or two, but generally when you're sick hydration is far more important than solid food anyway.

How long have you been ill? A cold/flu, or a stomach bug?
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I vote for soup!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you find appealing, but chicken and vegetable soup or cream of broccoli/cheddar broccoli might work for me.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    How low is "low carb"? Is gravy allowed? Mashed potato with gravy was my best comfort food when I was nauseous when pregnant. Obviously, that's probably too high carb - but turkey breast with gravy or roast beef with gravy was also really good. It was the gravy part that was important.

I also find pho to be really soothing when I'm sick (vietnamese soup with a beef broth, beef, noodles and bean sprouts). Eat as many/few of the noodles as suits your carb goal.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    How low is "low carb"? Is gravy allowed? Mashed potato with gravy was my best comfort food when I was nauseous when pregnant. Obviously, that's probably too high carb - but turkey breast with gravy or roast beef with gravy was also really good. It was the gravy part that was important.

I also find pho to be really soothing when I'm sick (vietnamese soup with a beef broth, beef, noodles and bean sprouts). Eat as many/few of the noodles as suits your carb goal.

Good call!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I thought the BRAT diet was bananas, rice, apples and toast. Did I learn it wrong>
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Would plain Greek yogurt be low carb enough? Maybe with a few blueberries on top.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What are you craving? What do you have a hankering for?
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If you have a stomach bug and are LCHF then it's most likely the fat that's upsetting your stomach more and not the low carb, but that's just my opinion as that is what happened to me and it wasn't easy to stay strict keto for me at that time and just the thought of fat was revolting to me. Not sure how low carb you are though.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Anytime my stomach is icky a combo of nonfat plain greek yogurt and "real" peanut butter is my go to comfort food
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

I ask for no noodles and extra bean sprouts. They get so noodley anyway!