Popcorn question

Options
success313
success313 Posts: 100 Member
edited January 2017 in Food and Nutrition
sqada0bbf0cy.jpg
Hello,

I am having a bit of an issue tracking my microwave popcorn. The great debate of unpopped and popped. Which nutritional information do I use? I have searched the boards for past discussions on this but still not getting a clear answer.

I have included a picture of the nutrition label.

Thanks!

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Everything except for Sodium (odd, but OK) matches up. There seems to be a slight rounding issue with some of the values, but nothing too drastic that would throw things off, provided you're not eating 10+ servings a day.

As such, either should be fine in this case.
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I just buy the 100 cal bags. Problem solved :D
  • CircusFreakGRITz
    CircusFreakGRITz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use the popped one and just round up. So, assuming all the kernels pop (which is unlikely) and assuming you eat the whole bag, I would log 200 calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's about 5.5 cups per serving (and 190 calories). (The popped is 35x5.5 or 192.5, so about the same.)

So the whole bag is about 480 calories. If you eat half the bag it's about 240.

That's how I'd do it, although this kind of stupid stuff actually got me to start just buying kernels again.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    futureicon wrote: »
    I just buy the 100 cal bags. Problem solved :D

Me too. Popcorn math was invented by the devil.

A big bag of popcorn is usually in the 400 calorie range last I checked so I stopped buying them.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Popped...because that's how you eat it!
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This is how I would do it:
    The serving size is 2 tbsp of unpopped popcorn. There are 2.5 servings of unpopped popcorn in each bag.
    So, 190 calories in 2 tbsp x 2.5 servings = 475 Calories per bag

I find the cups part confusing because I never measure out my popcorn cup by cup. I usually just eat about half the bag and put in half the calories now and half for later.

If you want to measure cup by cup it would be:
    Each 2 tbsp of unpopped popcorn gives 5.5 cups of popcorn. There are 2.5 servings of unpopped popcorn in each bag.
    5.5 cups of popcorn x 2.5 servings = about 13.75 cups of popcorn per bag
    35 calories per cup of popcorn x 13.75 = 481.25 calories per bag

Hope this helps!
  • success313
    success313 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your responses! I really appreciate it.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I always just get kernels and measure them out by weight according to the label. I don't usually have time to bust out my popcorn spreadsheet to figure it out.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Lol. I wouldn't have bought that kind of popcorn because it's too stupidly difficult to figure out. I buy prepopped stuff that shows calories by gram servings or plain kernels and pop it myself so I know how much oil/butter was added.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    All this is telling you is that 2 Tbsp unpopped is going to make about 5.5 cups...if you eat 5.5 cups of the popcorn it's going to be 190 calories...or also, 35 (1 cup) x 5.5 = 192.5...either way.

There are 2.5 servings in a bag...each serving is 5.5 cups...so for the whole bag you'd have 190 calories x 2.5 = 475 calories if you eat the entire bag.