Squatting with lat pull down..

Options
Hi everyone. This may be a super noob question, but I need to find a way to improve in squatting. I don't have a barbell at home and right now wouldn't be able to afford one, so I really want to find a good alternative. I've been using dumbbells for awhile and slowly increasing weight but I don't have that many more weights I can add and the dumbbells are small so they'll fill up quickly. I have a huge weightlifting machine in my basement that was my uncles that he gave to me that I've been testing out. It has multiple features including a lat pull down. There's not much for legs on the machine. I was wondering, is it possible to squat with a lat pull down? I was thinking putting the bar in a similar position (on the back) as to squatting with a barbel...this may be crazy and might injure me if I try or something so I wanted to ask on here. If this is possible it would be great because the machine goes all the way up to 210 so I wouldn't run out of weights anytime soon haha.

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Someone at my gym was just talking about this the other day actually haha.
    You could definitely do a squat variation with the lat pull down, but it will be a different movement because you are pulling the weight when you squat down, and it's pulling on you as you go back up, whereas a barbell squat is going to be giving you resistance then entire movement.
    So yes, you *could* use it to squat, but it will be a very different movement.
  • jamieparadis20
    jamieparadis20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I can attach an age of the machine if needed
  • jamieparadis20
    Options
    Image*
  • jamieparadis20
    Options
    Somebody please answer!!
  • jamieparadis20
    Options
    You could definitely do a squat variation with the lat pull down, but it will be a different movement because you are pulling the weight when you squat down, and it's pulling on you as you go back up, whereas a barbell squat is going to be giving you resistance then entire movement.

Would it work the same muscles? If I increase weights on the lat pull down then will I be stronger and be able to squat more if I go to crossfit? Or does the difference in movement change it a lot
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I will admit, I have tried this before I learned how to get creative with my barbell (I have no rack).
    I found that Zercher squats on the pulldown machine worked best however, as mentioned it is a very different movement compared to free weight squats.. but if it's all you got, it could work! It worked similar muscles but in a different way.

You can also try different variations of squats to continue to progress: Bulgarian Split Squats, pistol squats, 1.5 goblet squats, etc.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    The lat pulldown would work different muscles. I would suggest doing split squats and lunges with your dumbbells.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    You could use your dumbbells for rear foot elevated split squats (Bulgarian) and single Leg Romanian Deadlift.
    Not sure how in the world you'd do squats with a lat pulldown unless you are using the bar on a low pulley.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    is joining a gym not an option?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The only thing you'll accomplish by doing a squat with a lat pulldown is to turn your squat into a poorly executed hamstring curl and weighted crunch. It won't work any of the muscles that a squat is supposed to work (you're pulling rather than pushing) and certainly won't do anything to improve your form or strength in squatting. It makes about as much sense as doing leg extensions to make your biceps stronger.
  • dfc4
    dfc4 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    One legged squats.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Not possible if it is on a high pulley. OK, well I guess maybe possible (though more like a deadlift), if you did it like this but used your legs to drive the lift:

xfmmhkzcta9h.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Would it work the same muscles? If I increase weights on the lat pull down then will I be stronger and be able to squat more if I go to crossfit? Or does the difference in movement change it a lot

No...

You're better off using your dumbbells and doing lunges and things like bulgarian split squats, etc.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Not possible if it is on a high pulley. OK, well I guess maybe possible (though more like a deadlift), if you did it like this but used your legs to drive the lift:

xfmmhkzcta9h.gif

W.
    T.
    F.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options

xfmmhkzcta9h.gif

That looks like an upside down row, and why on earth would anyone do that?

I'm in agreement with others in that it probably won't work the muscles that you want to target. You could probably find a used squat rack for sale on Craigslist or buy a new one for not too much through Walmart. It would definitely be worthwhile.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    You could use your dumbbells for rear foot elevated split squats (Bulgarian) and single Leg Romanian Deadlift.
    Not sure how in the world you'd do squats with a lat pulldown unless you are using the bar on a low pulley.

This is what I would do.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Most of those old machines had some kind of over head press station. Maybe a bar could be put across that. Post picture or model number.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

xfmmhkzcta9h.gif

You would stand on the ground and pull the bar down to your shoulders and then squat "normally", or keep your arms straight above you like an overhead squat.
    I have seen it done correctly, but yeah, it doesn't transfer to a barbell squat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Master a pistol squat. Then add dumbell resistance if needed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

xfmmhkzcta9h.gif

You would stand on the ground and pull the bar down to your shoulders and then squat "normally", or keep your arms straight above you like an overhead squat.
    I have seen it done correctly, but yeah, it doesn't transfer to a barbell squat.

I get what you are describing, but I don't understand the utility of that movement. From a pull exercise perspective, I guess it could be somewhat useful as highly inefficient hamstring isolation exercise. From a push exercise perspective, Newtonian physics implies that it would only be useful for someone who cannot do a bodyweight squat. Anyway, dfc4 and niner are right, pistol squats are awesome.

bet9p6vvm5zk.gif