First bulk over (I think)

Options
Gimsteinn
Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
Ok so I finished my first bulk yesterday (clean bulk) and now I'm cutting. I gained 2 kg but went down 1 size during that time and kept loosing weight then gaining again.

At my goal weight of 58 kg last summer (I'm 158cm)
5urgfdwfjt7i.jpg

And now at 60 kg
8g021tiplhkp.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the strength I gained but now I wanna cut down and see what I look like with leaner muscles.
Are there any do's and don't's wile cutting? What do I have to keep in mind and watch out for?

Replies

• subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Well I guess the most obvious one is to not to try and cut too fast, you don't wanna lose a lot of the hard earned muscles. I would go with 0.5lb/week approach, as I am sure you would wanna keep on strength training trying to retain your strength.
  • inkedShimewaza
    inkedShimewaza Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    WOW! You look amazing in both photos, but I definitely like the added muscle!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I can't advise but am sure others can. I just want to say you look great. I'm around 57.5 and my goal was 60 but I look NOTHING like you do ! You must have worked really hard :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Moderate reduction in calories (~10 to 15% below maintenance), high protein (1g/lbm to 1g/lbm) and I tend to keep lifting ranges closer to 4-6.
  • Gimsteinn
    Options
    Thanks @psuLemon and @subcounter slowly is the key.
    My maintenance should be around 1800 calories.. Do I eat back all the calories I burn wile running/lifting or do I just eat about 80% back or less?

• Gimsteinn
    Options
    Hey thanks @comptonelizabeth I don't feel like I've worked hard.. I'm actually kinda surprised that the hardest thing about this was eating clean wile keeping above maintenance. This kinda just happened without me giving it much thought other then what to eat. :neutral:
  • Gimsteinn
    Options
    @inkedShimewaza Thank you. I like the muscles much more then the fat :lol:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Happy cutting :)
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    Hey thanks @comptonelizabeth I don't feel like I've worked hard.. I'm actually kinda surprised that the hardest thing about this was eating clean wile keeping above maintenance. This kinda just happened without me giving it much thought other then what to eat. :neutral:

I know exactly how that feels. There are some 3500-4000 calorie days, where I am just too full to eat anything. Healthy food is so filling!

As for calorie burns, I would keep them a little lower as its easy to over estimate them sometimes. I think best way is sticking to a similar routine & changing the calories ever so slights, and testing weekly, seeing the results. Everybody has a different metabolism, and reaction to cuts.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Are you planning on increase exercise or incorporating cardio during your cut? Normally, I would suggest around 1500 and modify after 3-4 weeks based on progress. But if you are incorporating more exercise, you might need a bit more.
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Monitor your lifts closely, if you start to lose reps, then eat a little more
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I like the muscle you've gained! How much strength have you gained?
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Good work! I would simply start adjusting carbs lower maybe 50 or so a week depending on how many you are on during your bulk.

What's your new training program going to be?
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Grats on the progress! It's always astounding to me what one can achieve in such a few short months.

You are a crossfitter? I would suggest not changing anything at all except carb intake. Taper carbs down 25 grams every two weeks or ten days and try to maintain strength and volume levels. You'll lean out very quickly assuming you're trying to beat PRs for time, and maintain strength in the olympic lifts. At some point you'll likely hit a wall, but hopefully by then you'll be much leaner.