Proteins or high carbs for mass gain ?

Options
Hey guys, i am a skinny guy and i am doing gym workouts right now. for past few weeks I have been on a comparatively high protien diet, but people around me started recommending me to try high carb diet such as sweet potatoes, bananas etc. Can anyone tell me which is better for mass gain ?

Replies

• amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Excess protein is useless and even dangerous. You'd be better of going down the carb route to fuel your work outs. Good carbs...brown rice, oats, potatoes, legumes etc.
  • BeastofBodmin
    BeastofBodmin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Excess protein is dangerous ? Huh ?
  • MrCarline
    MrCarline Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your body will only utilise what protein it needs to repair the torn muscles after training extra protein is stored as fats. I am also trying to build and i was 8 stone 2 years ago, i am now 11 stone and heading toward 12. There is no quick fix to this dude, simply eat more healthy foods, train hard and it will come.
    I am trying to eat a split of 40/30/30 protein/fats/carbs and between 2700 to 3000 calories a day.
    Good luck.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Actually you do lose some vital minerals with eating excess protein(minerals or vitamin goes away with your urine). Don really remember which ones. And excess protein are taxing for your kidneys only when you have some condition with them.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Humans don't need as much protein as we're lead to believe by marketing. Just adequate amounts and ensuring we have an intake of the essential amino acids.
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    Actually you do lose some vital minerals with eating excess protein(minerals or vitamin goes away with your urine). Don really remember which ones. And excess protein are taxing for your kidneys only when you have some condition with them.

Spot on.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1169452/

• hottiehottiestevie
    Options
    If you are a skinny guy trying to gain wieght use this simple Formular: Body weight in Pounds x 20. This should be your Minimum calorie intake and then see how it goes from there. If you are not gaining weight eat more.Sticl to high calorie Foods ie. Minced Beef, Whole eggs, whole milk. Fat can help you also gain weight if you are skinny. The advice above sounds quite good 40/30/30 but don't worry about it too much. Just get the calories in

• pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Simply eat 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight and make the rest of your daily calories up with carbs and fat.

Try not to overthink it.
  • jcmccaughan
    jcmccaughan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm an ectomorph who just got off a high Carb diet and switched to high fat diet. My body almost immediately responded better. High Carb diet is hard and you feel sluggish all the time. And since it converts to glycogen efficiently ,if you don't use them up it converts it to fat which you don't want.

Currently at 30c30p40f consuming 3000cal and I feel great all day while gaining slow and steady weight.

PS start eating natural peanut butter all day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm an ectomorph who just got off a high Carb diet and switched to high fat diet. My body almost immediately responded better. High Carb diet is hard and you feel sluggish all the time. And since it converts to glycogen efficiently ,if you don't use them up it converts it to fat which you don't want.

Currently at 30c30p40f consuming 3000cal and I feel great all day while gaining slow and steady weight.

PS start eating natural peanut butter all day.

Somatotypes arent really a thing. Its an obsetvation based on the look at of a body type. It in no way impacts how you should eat.

Also, its carbs are stored as glycogen its not converting to fat.. because its stored as glycogen for energy use later. In fact, de novo lipogenesis suggest carbs are less likely to convert to fat since its more metabolically taxing and fats are already in the form necessary for storage. Ao if anything will convert its fat.

Also, energy balance is what dictates if things cause a net storage of fat. So you can consume 80% of your calories from carbs but if you have a negative net energy balance than you will loss weight.
  • Bradywho1
    Bradywho1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't be stupid
    High protein high carbs high fats= size gain
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    In reality it doesn't matter; you need a calorie surplus and progressive training.

• aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Humans don't need as much protein as we're lead to believe by marketing. Just adequate amounts and ensuring we have an intake of the essential amino acids.

Spot on.

Not exactly the most compelling piece of evidence. Excessive protein is more likely to convert to glocuse through glucenogenesis. Do you have any RCT or meta analysis that would support the above narrative? It discussed a study, but barely discusses it. BTW, there really hasn't been any overly compelling evidence to back this one thing, that I have seen. Especially if you are drinking adequate amounts of water and incorporating plenty of nutrient dense foods.

OP, carbs are very beneficial during a bulk. They are anticatabolic which can help prevent protein degradation. When combined with a moderately high protein diet (~1.5g to 2.2g/kg) of weight, you should do fairly well. The biggest thing is ensuring a consistent calorie surplus and following a solid progressive overload lifting program.

Maybe he's talking about liver stress when eating like 1000 grams a day and drinking about a bottle of whiskey. Sigh. Water is dangerous too, sometimes.

Wooo! Gluconeogenesis! I spot science words and I approve.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Options
    aelunyu wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

Spot on.

Not exactly the most compelling piece of evidence. Excessive protein is more likely to convert to glocuse through glucenogenesis. Do you have any RCT or meta analysis that would support the above narrative? It discussed a study, but barely discusses it. BTW, there really hasn't been any overly compelling evidence to back this one thing, that I have seen. Especially if you are drinking adequate amounts of water and incorporating plenty of nutrient dense foods.

OP, carbs are very beneficial during a bulk. They are anticatabolic which can help prevent protein degradation. When combined with a moderately high protein diet (~1.5g to 2.2g/kg) of weight, you should do fairly well. The biggest thing is ensuring a consistent calorie surplus and following a solid progressive overload lifting program.

Maybe he's talking about liver stress when eating like 1000 grams a day and drinking about a bottle of whiskey. Sigh. Water is dangerous too, sometimes.

Wooo! Gluconeogenesis! I spot science words and I approve.

I know a few of them, lol. I think that person has heard of a few correlated studies and formed an opinion on a few, rather than looking into the totality of all science.