Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does dieting affect your immune system ?

Options
duniaamen
duniaamen Posts: 13 Member
I'm not sure if there's a connection. Are you more prone to illness when losing weight?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it sensibly (appropriate deficit and ensuring you get a wide range of nutrients) then I doubt it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    ^^ This. If your diet is resulting in you lacking nutrients, maybe. But if you're losing weight in a healthy and nutritionally sound manner, I would imagine it could have the effect of actually improving your immune response.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Everytime I get serious about eating at a deficit (once or twice a year, just to lose the 8 lbs I gain the rest of the year) I always get a cold within the first three weeks. Always. But then I get over it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Maybe. Some people meet their micronutrients values, but when you add strenuous exercise those values may need to be increased. Strenuous exercise does actually lower your immunity temporarily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I like really rarely get sick, but when I do, it's almost always in a deficit or during periods of high stress from travel/work when diet goes out the window and I'm eating like airport starbucks muffins.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I agree that exercising in addition dieting may lower your immune response. Whenever I feel tired and run down from trying to do too much I know I'm asking to get sick!
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I would assume so.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Another point to consider is if you're going to a gym. Gyms are germ-fests. The one at my office is the worst. People come in from doing their jobs in public transit (a very germy industry), fail to wash their hands, fail to wipe off the equipment, sweat all over the place, put their mouths on the water fountain (yes I'm talking about adults, here)... two weeks later, I have a cold.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Another point to consider is if you're going to a gym. Gyms are germ-fests. The one at my office is the worst. People come in from doing their jobs in public transit (a very germy industry), fail to wash their hands, fail to wipe off the equipment, sweat all over the place, put their mouths on the water fountain (yes I'm talking about adults, here)... two weeks later, I have a cold.

The good news is that since microorganisms are in constant competition with one another the pathogenic strains are culled out by these very same germ fests.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

"Scientists at Stanford University yesterday published a more realistic approach to calorie restriction in the journal PLoS Biology. Associate professor of microbiology and immunology David Schneider and graduate student Janelle Ayres worked with fruit flies, this time investigating the effects of bacterial infections on organisms with a restricted diet.

They found that eating less can either increase or shorten the lives of infected flies, depending on the disease. Flies given half their normal diet and exposed to a form of the food-poisoning bug salmonella lived almost twice as long as their full-fat brethren, who only lasted for eight days after infection. But when infected with listeria, another food-poisoning bug, the dieting flies died after just four days, compared to the six or seven managed by flies eating normally."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2009/jul/14/ageing-calorie-restriction-diet
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    "Scientists at Stanford University yesterday published a more realistic approach to calorie restriction in the journal PLoS Biology. Associate professor of microbiology and immunology David Schneider and graduate student Janelle Ayres worked with fruit flies, this time investigating the effects of bacterial infections on organisms with a restricted diet.

They found that eating less can either increase or shorten the lives of infected flies, depending on the disease. Flies given half their normal diet and exposed to a form of the food-poisoning bug salmonella lived almost twice as long as their full-fat brethren, who only lasted for eight days after infection. But when infected with listeria, another food-poisoning bug, the dieting flies died after just four days, compared to the six or seven managed by flies eating normally."

https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2009/jul/14/ageing-calorie-restriction-diet

It really sucks being a fruit fly.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    There was an interesting thing too, based on people getting chemotherapy. Those who fast for 48 hours beforehand recovered quicker because the body was cannibalizing "old" immune cells during the fast and rebounded by making new ones when the fast was broken.

https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    spring913 wrote: »
    My doctor told me to expect to get more colds this winter than I'm used to because I'm actively loosing weight. I didn't believe her. She was right. I normally don't get sick, maybe once every other year. I've had 4 colds already this winter. My diet is balanced. It could be a coincidence, it might not be. But that's my experience thus far.

Agree. Been sick twice this year already. Started losing weight in December.