Gaining weight stigma

Options
I'm a dancer whose been told I need to gain at least 7lbs to be healthy and I want to become the strongest I can, so I don't just want to put on fat but build the muscle. I'm in full time training but find it hard not to slip especially because we're scrutinising our bodies in front of mirrors everyday! I just generally want some tips, support and advice, no one here really gives motivation for putting on weight it's all the opposite.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of a stigma of gaining weight when it's largely muscle mass...seems like a good thing to me.
  • JacobNicolaus
    JacobNicolaus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I feel you Eloise2986. Had a similar problem a few years back, but ended up putting on fat instead of muscle, so turning that around at the moment.

Gaining productive/muscle mass doesn't seem to be as often-encountered problem, that's all. It's a shame this site doesn't focus on fat % tracking instead of weight which is, as in your case, just doesn't help.

I am not a professional trainer, so you've probably heard this amateur advice a 1000 times, but here it is:
    1. Focus on food after the workout, plenty of drinking water and a good 8-9-hour sleep. These three would be a natural boost to your muscle/mass growth.
    2. I am pretty sure that as a dancer you are building towards dense muscles instead of bulky ones, but if that's not the case - density takes longer to build, so don't get discouraged by slow gains, just stick to it.

Just wanted to help :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The girl at TJMaxx's eyes almost fell out of her head when I told her I wanted bigger shoulders.

Shrug some people will never get it- keep in mind fixed your goal and press forward to it. And grow your lats so you can fly away from all the haters.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10479353/bulking-bishes-winter2016#latest
    This is a great thread where many of the bulking bishes of MFP reside.
    Enjoy.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Here is how Misty Copeland, the principal dancer at American Ballet Theater, eats. I would say it appears she has a significant amount of muscle and appropriately fuels her spectacular dancing. In other articles I have read, she also does a considerable amount of cross-training in the off season.

http://www.glamour.com/story/how-ballerina-misty-copeland-i
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    The girl at TJMaxx's eyes almost fell out of her head when I told her I wanted bigger shoulders.

Shrug some people will never get it- keep in mind fixed your goal and press forward to it. And grow your lats so you can fly away from all the haters.

Oooooo...I like that...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Haha, I swear you get more awesome by the post. Also, I see guys in the gym everyday with less shoulder development than what you're rocking. Clearly doing it right.

It's not just women either actually. I am only currently 176 at 5'10", and I always get stupid questions like "aren't you done yet?" Bish, I just started lifting again in August, after many years away from it. I'm not even started yet.