Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do we trust professionals too much?

Options

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    professionals?1 those dickbags are the ones who got us into all these messes

time to drain the swamp of professionals and shake things up
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Professionals are only as good as the training they've had. Many times that training is outdated and/or slanted. So, that is what you get from them. It's always best do do your own research..

This.

My MIL was a registered dietician and she still believes anything she hears on Dr. Oz or The Chew. It's weird because she does support me weighing and logging my food and says that's what works, but then she spout off about some super food or how she's been gaining weight because she's eating after 7pm.

Professionals are people too, some are great at their jobs and some are terrible at their jobs.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Professionals are only as good as the training they've had. Many times that training is outdated and/or slanted. So, that is what you get from them. It's always best do do your own research..

This.

My MIL was a registered dietician and she still believes anything she hears on Dr. Oz or The Chew. It's weird because she does support me weighing and logging my food and says that's what works, but then she spout off about some super food or how she's been gaining weight because she's eating after 7pm.

Professionals are people too, some are great at their jobs and some are terrible at their jobs.

on a triathlon forum lst night - had a "dietician" talk about starvation mode and how the person asking the question was going into that...I just couldn't...
  • jenmek
    jenmek Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I lost 145 lbs by having the support of my Weight Watchers group and followed their program BUT I became a runner based on reading many, many articles. Same with weight training. Learned it on my own by listening to multiple people. Once I obtained the support of "Professionals", I hated it. I paid for a marathon training plan and it totally screwed with my psyche and when I hired a trainer at the gym, he was not only full of himself but he was giving out really BAD food advice. From this experience, I've learned to trust myself and all that I learned from my initial weight loss journey back in 2009/2010. I won't use a professional anymore.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Also I have learned a lot from this forum and reddit!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

This.

Communication and marketing are key. You may be the smartest person in the room, but this is useless if you can't communicate effectively.

A successful professional will stay current, be able to speak to the listener/write to the reader, discern what they can prove and what they believe...

Bottom line if a professional cannot prove they provide value - they won't be a professional for long.
  • findingone
    findingone Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    jenmek wrote: »
    I lost 145 lbs by having the support of my Weight Watchers group and followed their program BUT I became a runner based on reading many, many articles. Same with weight training. Learned it on my own by listening to multiple people. Once I obtained the support of "Professionals", I hated it. I paid for a marathon training plan and it totally screwed with my psyche and when I hired a trainer at the gym, he was not only full of himself but he was giving out really BAD food advice. From this experience, I've learned to trust myself and all that I learned from my initial weight loss journey back in 2009/2010. I won't use a professional anymore.

Freaking A right. Trust what works for you. You did the hard work, and YOU got YOUR results. No one else did. YOUR research, YOUR sweat and hard work. CICO works, dieting works, Running? *kitten*, congrats, that REALLY works oh and...YOUR HARD WORK!!! Awesome to you, unreal! :)

Thanks for posting this bruddah. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Information literacy is the ability to effectively evaluate information sources. There's nothing wrong with using Google if you're information literate, but few people are.

As far as personal trainers: They tend to know nothing because there's really no training involved. The "trainers" at my old gym had a 45-minute intro to what all the machines did, and then were allowed to "train" people. Trainers are right up there with nutritionists in terms of the actual knowledge & education needed to gain the title.
    Depends on the trainer. Unlike many, I had to perform some "live" training with someone who scored me to receive my cert. And unlike many trainers, I will be the first to call BS on a lot of fitness and diet industries broscience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Absolutely. Never allow anyone to stand on the "letters behind their name". The veracity of the statement is all that matters.

Something I've learned is that when someone stands on their experience or title this is usually because the data is lacking.

Further complicating this is the sheer volume of information out there and the myopic focus of experts. This reinforces the need for generalists to review information to ensure the ramifications are not worse than the solution.

assuming they have letters after their name...I would trust them (marginally) more than a trainer...but even professionals with certifications make errors - one of my good friends is still dealing with an RD who she worked with during Ironman training that reduced her cals wayyy down and caused some metabolic damage when she went in for medical testing

I have letters after my name and read a lot about health/fitness/nutrition.

However I'm in no way qualified to give advice.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Absolutely. Never allow anyone to stand on the "letters behind their name". The veracity of the statement is all that matters.

Something I've learned is that when someone stands on their experience or title this is usually because the data is lacking.

Further complicating this is the sheer volume of information out there and the myopic focus of experts. This reinforces the need for generalists to review information to ensure the ramifications are not worse than the solution.

assuming they have letters after their name...I would trust them (marginally) more than a trainer...but even professionals with certifications make errors - one of my good friends is still dealing with an RD who she worked with during Ironman training that reduced her cals wayyy down and caused some metabolic damage when she went in for medical testing

The best part here, is that you admit that you are unqualified, while giving far better advice than most who would consider themselves qualified to do so.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I think another piece of the problem is that people tend to indiscriminately trust a 'professional', even if they're not a professional in the particular field the person is asking about.

Maybe a trainer is certified/trained/educated/whatever, in physical training. Ok, so they're a legit 'professional', but only in that specific field. You shouldn't then go to them for dietary or medical advice just because they're a 'professional'. I'd go to a dietician for the dietary advice, and a doctor for the medical advice. The same way I wouldn't go to my GP for dietary advice. Sure, they're a professional with lots and lots and lots of schooling, but very very little of it is actually in diet and nutrition. So I think that people also have a tendency to assume that a 'professional' in a particular field somehow has authority over many other fields, and people don't take the time to stop and really question whether a 'qualified' person is actually 'qualified' in the type of info they're looking for.

This is the biggest issue for me. I look at education and experience in a specific field. I would put more value/stock in a person's advice if they hold a masters in nutritional sciences and physiology field, than if you are a Harvard trained MD.

So, I treat nutrition and exercise as much of a specialty as any other.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

The best part here, is that you admit that you are unqualified, while giving far better advice than most who would consider themselves qualified to do so.

Too kind.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    The Milgram study suggests that ~65% of people will do something, even horrible somethings, because a person perceived to be an authority figure tells them to do it. From that perspective, yes, I think there is a tendency to trust "authority" too much.

OTOH, though, we seem to be going to the extreme opposite, where your degree from Google University is as good as someone who is speaking to his or her expertise in a field.

I think @psuLemon hit the nail on the head when saying that you have to look at education and experience relative to the subject the expert is speaking on; otherwise, you get Dr. Oz, who is apparently a fabulous cardio-thoracic surgeon, but has made a fortune selling and promoting nutritional snake oil, which he's probably not super qualified to speak on.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    The Milgram study suggests that ~65% of people will do something, even horrible somethings, because a person perceived to be an authority figure tells them to do it. From that perspective, yes, I think there is a tendency to trust "authority" too much.

OTOH, though, we seem to be going to the extreme opposite, where your degree from Google University is as good as someone who is speaking to his or her expertise in a field.

I think @psuLemon hit the nail on the head when saying that you have to look at education and experience relative to the subject the expert is speaking on; otherwise, you get Dr. Oz, who is apparently a fabulous cardio-thoracic surgeon, but has made a fortune selling and promoting nutritional snake oil, which he's probably not super qualified to speak on.

This. I listen to professionals but rarely follow the advice of just one. I try to look at the thoughts of several in the field. If they are all in the same direction, it's probably pretty solid advice. With the Dr Oz example, few other actual MDs or other reliable sources agree with the crap he is spewing, so he would not be someone I'd trust.

There may be a brilliant new thinker I'd miss by not following someone with radically different ideas, but probably not.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I think that professionals is a very loose term. I tend to equate this more with those in the medical field, practicing law, bankers, etc. We all have the ability to go out and get as many differing opinions as we want when it comes to speaking to professionals. For example, (and maybe a bit TMI), but my monthly was horrific. It always had been. I had spoken to my doctor about this, and his solution was birth control. I researched different options and spoke to him about an IUD, which he refused. He said he would only prescribe the pill. I went to another doctor who spoke with me about different options they provided, including the IUD. It was effective in helping, to a point. 7 years later, I had a cancer scare (which ended up not being cancer at all, thankfully) and one of the doctors I went to did an ultrasound and noticed my uterus was larger than average. He point blank asked me if I had heavy periods. I told him I did, and we ran through my medical history in trying to contain things. He spoke with me about an ablation, and since I was done having kids, I decided this was a great option. I wish I had known about it 4 years sooner, but at least I found out! All this to say, that even the professionals tend to bring their own personal experiences and opinions to the table, based on information they have read or things they have been through. Some of these opinions and experiences may not be what is right for you and your body. You know the way your body feels better than anyone. I still see the first doctor as a primary care, but not for my women's health issues becuase his ideas are very old school (such as when I gave birth to my daughter, he told me I couldn't do anything but lay on my back the whole time, and when I told him I didn't an epidural, he laughed at me).
  • FatPorkyChop
    FatPorkyChop Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My experience is pretty bad with professionals, needless to say I hardly trust them anymore.
    I was removed the appendicitis when I fact I had a kidney infection (I kid you not!!) it was over the Christmas period when it happened and the on duty surgeon was pretty much drunk (according to my dad, I was pretty much out of it when it happened, they gave me strong painkillers ).
    Years later, they found some concerning scar tissues in my eye (just a routine check) they operated on it and then the hell broke loose - started to have lots of side effect from the surgery several retinal tears, loss of vision (black holes) and they operated again which make things worse... I search for second opinion just to find out that I did not need any surgery in the first place ....
    Anyway ....I have unfortunately many more stories like that.... too many.
    It took me 35 years to find one decent competent GP who cares.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I never trust a professional who dismisses all my concerns. I remember firing my GI doctor while I was hospitalized for ulcerative colitis. He was doing a wait and see approach ... umm, wait and see what? I dropped 25 pounds in 2 weeks, was severely anemic and could not even take a sip of water without wanting to totally purge. So he was fired and with the help of several friends, including one in the health insurance business, was able to get another doctor in pronto. He had me stabilized within 2 weeks so I could go home. Ten years later, he is still my doctor and I only see him 2x a year for check-ups where he constantly amazed that I keep the UC in check from diet and exercise alone - no maintenance drugs! I did my own research into foods that would help and my doctor learned along with me because he actually told me that they don't really cover nutrition in med school. Because he learned from my experiences, he has been able to help other patients stay in remission with diet and exercise.
  • mswag84
    mswag84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Everyone is so different and reacts to different things. Generally a "professional" that's has credentials knows what they are talking about as a whole, but we don't all fit into a box in my opinion.

Originally I got on a plan I found on bodybuilding put together by a person that was in tremendous shape. I was excited about it started it and it had worked since day one. Been on the same plan for 6 months and 80 lbs now. 30 percent body fat to 19 percent. It's still working and I love it...but I could pull up 50 people talking terrible on it over and over calling it junk, the guy is stupid and so on. They will say it's only noobie gains. It's amazing how so many people are so called experts when it comes to diet and exercise. If you find something that is working stick with it till it no longer works for you. I'm kind of off topic now...but it's just something that gets under my skin
  • kinesiologic
    kinesiologic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There are professionals ... And then there are professionals.

I'm not sure how it works in other countries, but in Canada we have regulatory bodies ("Colleges") that professionals must register with. The purpose of the College is to protect the public from harm. They do this by only registering people who meet professional standards - i.e., someone who has education and training. They can also revoke licenses if professionals malpractice.

So: Tip 1 - always work with someone who is registered with a college.

I'm doing a MD-PhD program (well, sort of - long story) ... My specialty is exercise, health behaviour, and psychology. I can tell you that there is a big difference in training between someone who had a 4-year kinesiology degree and someone with a weekend personal trainer workshop. For one: the kin graduate will never admit to being a dietician. They might give general tips, but will refer you to another professional if you need more extensive help.

Education isn't a 100% guarantee of expertise ... Doctors are VERY poorly trained in exercise science, yet they're expected to counsel people.

... But, at least if you're dealing with a registered health professional, you have a legitimate body to complain to.